Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement for Michelin Primacy MXM4 tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I Will soon need to replace my Michelin MXM4s. I am shying away from buying the same Michelin’s because of price and also I understand that if the tire is punctured by a nail (which happens VERY often in Atlanta) the MXM4 tire cannot be fixed. I would appreciate ideas regarding more economical (but equally energy efficient) alternatives.

I Will soon need to replace my Michelin MXM4s. I am shying away from buying the same Michelin’s because of price and also I understand that if the tire is punctured by a nail (which happens VERY often in Atlanta) the MXM4 tire cannot be fixed. I would appreciate ideas regarding more economical (but equally energy efficient) alternatives.

I had Goodyears on my Model S 2016 when it was delivered. They could not balance the tires so I requested the Michelin MXM4s. The Michelin tires are much quieter.

All tires should be able to be plugged if the nail is in the tread not too close to the edge. If you get a nail in the sidewall, no matter what tire, you will need to replace it.

Tires that come on new Telsa's do not have road hazard protection. I went to Discount Tire when I had to replace a tire do to a sidewall problem, I purchased road hazard for all tires.

...also I understand that if the tire is punctured by a nail (which happens VERY often in Atlanta) the MXM4 tire cannot be fixed.
This is often the position of tire manufacturers, which is driven largely by lawyers limiting the company's liability exposure, but in reality it's not true. I was told the same thing by my Porsche dealer about the tires on my Porsche Macan GTS. When I asked at my local tire shop, the owner said they patch the tires all the time and owners continue to use them without problem for the life of the tire.

What was the source of your information?

Michelin has an excellent "Michelin Promise Plan" for new tires (not OEM supplied tires on new cars) that provides free flat tire replacement or towing up to 150 miles to the nearest approved Michelin dealer of your choice.

I recently received the following after contacting Michelin.

"The Michelin Promise Plan includes a 3-Year Flat Tire Changing Assistance. for every Michelin passenger and light truck replacement tire sold in the U.S. on March 1, 2011 and after.

A qualified service professional will replace a flat tire with the inflated spare. If an inflated spare tire is not available, towing will be provided at no cost (up to 150 miles) to the nearest approved Michelin dealer of your choice. Flat Tire Assistance is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in the U.S. and Canada.

As of June 1, 2019, this program has been expanded to include fluid delivery (gas, water, etc.), lock out service, battery jump start. *Consumer is responsible for the cost of delivered goods. There is no additional cost for this change.

This program does not does not apply to original equipment tires.*

The Flat Tire Assistance phone number is 1-888-553-4327."

A
This is often the position of tire manufacturers, which is driven largely by lawyers limiting the company's liability exposure, but in reality it's not true. I was told the same thing by my Porsche dealer about the tires on my Porsche Macan GTS. When I asked at my local tire shop, the owner said they patch the tires all the time and owners continue to use them without problem for the life of the tire.

Michelin has an excellent "Michelin Promise Plan" for new tires (not OEM supplied tires on new cars) that provides free flat tire replacement or towing up to 150 miles to the nearest approved Michelin dealer of your choice.

"The Michelin Promise Plan includes a 3-Year Flat Tire Changing Assistance. for every Michelin passenger and light truck replacement tire sold in the U.S. on March 1, 2011 and after.

A qualified service professional will replace a flat tire with the inflated spare. If an inflated spare tire is not available, towing will be provided at no cost (up to 150 miles) to the nearest approved Michelin dealer of your choice. Flat Tire Assistance is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year in the U.S. and Canada.

As of June 1, 2019, this program has been expanded to include fluid delivery (gas, water, etc.), lock out service, battery jump start. *Consumer is responsible for the cost of delivered goods. There is no additional cost for this change.

ct I was

I was told by a tire dealer that although they routinely plug tires, they were not able to do so with the Michelin MXM4s because of the foam that they have that dampens the sound. I wonder if this is really accurate. I note that the Michelin program you reference doesn’t address this issue. Perhaps I should call Michelin and ask them. However, even so, I think their tires are still pricey and am wondering what alternatives may be out there that may be workable and cheaper.

Just get the same tires. You can easily, at least in CA, get a brand new set off craigslists for around $600-$800. I just picked up a brand new set with the rims and TMPS for $800. Plug and play baby...you just can't beat the price. I believe the tires alone are like 1k. Good luck.
Thanks for this suggestion.... I did just that this weekend!

Reactions: moonfresh
What? Lies! I had mine fixed. Works fine! They just cut a hole in the tire form inside the tire then use a plug/patch. Had mine done for free at discount tire.

Is this program also for tires that came with the car when new or only for customer purchased tires?