Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement frunk spring

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's the reason behind the frunk spring being so strong? I find that I don't use the frunk as much as I could because it requires quite a bit of force to close and I don't want to put a dent in it.
Are there any disadvantages of changing the spring to one which is less strong and has anyone got a link to a UK replacement?

Hi, I bought 2 different springs from ebay. One was too lightweight and wouldn't do the job. The other was pretty much perfect and gave the desired softer closing.
I'm almost certain it was this:
Expansion Spring Tension Extension Springs Wire Diameter 1.5mm Length 40mm-500mm | eBay
The wire diameter was 1.5mm and it is 40mm long.
I've included a photograph showing the relatively huge spring I removed with the new spring in place.
Hope that helps a little.

Attachments

• springs.jpg
    springs.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 126
Hi, I bought 2 different springs from ebay. One was too lightweight and wouldn't do the job. The other was pretty much perfect and gave the desired softer closing.
Expansion Spring Tension Extension Springs Wire Diam
[URL='https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172844262164']Expansion Spring Tension Extension Springs Wire Diameter 1.5mm Length 40mm-500mm | eBay
I've included a photograph showing the relatively huge spring I removed with the new spring in place.

eter 1.5mm Length 40mm-500mm | eBay[/URL]
Is it the 1.5*8*40?

I think I found a medium strength one that should be better on either set of struts:
Prime-Line 7/16 in. Dia. x 1-7/8 in. L Extension Spring 2 pk, SP 9605 49793096050 | eBay

I bought the same set (comes with two in the bag) of these. They arrived today and I have installed one. The frunk is now much, much easier to close, and still auto-opens with the BougeRV replacement struts from Amazon. Looks and feels much more upmarket compared to OEM which always felt like way too much force was needed to close.

• Informative
Reactions: Avendit
If I install one of these softer springs to make the frunk easier to close/latch, do I also need to change the struts for auto opening ones? I only ask because I changed the spring to one recommended above and the frunk is easier to close but does not pop up enough to grab it when you open the latch now. I can open it, but need something to grab it to raise it. I have put the original spring back for now and planned to order the replacement struts anyway. Just wanted to confirm if the struts may be the reason the spring was not fully satisfying.

The softest spring does either need the tougher struts, or, if you received a pair, just add the second one. You can also get the intermediate spring, tho I'm still waiting on delivery of mine.
Now you tell me! I gave my second spring away to the Octopus referal king :/ (he will charge me a kings ransom for it!)

Ill have to resort to a few BIC pen springs for the added strength

• Funny
  • Love
Reactions: Roy W. and KennethS