Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement headlight options? (No Tesla Stock)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So now that I have a Model S on order, I need to finally replace my peeling driver side roadster headlight so I can sell the roadster in the meantime of Model S production. Tesla no longer stocks the halogen headlight assemblies, and wants $2,500 for the upgraded HID assemblies. I guess worst case scenario is a bite that bullet...

Does anyone know of a good source for a good condition used halogen assembly, or have one laying around they'd be willing to sell? I've already struck out on two fronts:

1. I had a second driver's side headlight sitting around that had already been removed in the past because it peeled too. I tried wet sanding and then used a 2K clear coat on it, and it all went to hell. The clear coat made everything hazy and cured with a really bizarre texture.

2. I ordered a replacement from a seller on eBay and it arrived with a broken horizontal adjustment screw, so the whole reflector assembly was just flopping around from side to side inside the housing.

Argh.....

Honestly, I would just bite the bullet and pay the 2500 for the new HID assemblies. I may have my old Halogen assemblies somewhere but they have the aftermarket HID bulbs that caused issues previously (i.e. ABS errors). I have seen halogen assemblies on eBay but hopefully that seller is not the same one you had issues with previously? The new HID assemblies seemingly do not have the peeling issue.

Mine are starting to peel around the edges. The car is a 2010 2.0, but I don't know when the prior owner upgraded them.
If memory serves the HID's only became an option in early 2012ish... So not much time.. Interesting.. can you share some pics? When I had mine installed about 18 mos ago, the SC claimed that they had modified the clear-coat and the peeling issues were a thing of the past.

I assume yours are the OEM HID's not the modified bulb variants? I had those for a few years but they threw ABS errors so I ended up going with the OEM HID enclosures.

Honestly, I would just bite the bullet and pay the 2500 for the new HID assemblies. I may have my old Halogen assemblies somewhere but they have the aftermarket HID bulbs that caused issues previously (i.e. ABS errors). I have seen halogen assemblies on eBay but hopefully that seller is not the same one you had issues with previously? The new HID assemblies seemingly do not have the peeling issue.

I'm leaning in that direction and even though I won't recoup the full value, it still adds some value to the car in the resale market I'm sure.

If memory serves the HID's only became an option in early 2012ish... So not much time.. Interesting.. can you share some pics? When I had mine installed about 18 mos ago, the SC claimed that they had modified the clear-coat and the peeling issues were a thing of the past.

I assume yours are the OEM HID's not the modified bulb variants? I had those for a few years but they threw ABS errors so I ended up going with the OEM HID enclosures.
Here's the passenger side, as of August 2016.

CAM00642.jpg

I don't know the exact pedigree of the units, but comparing other pictures, I believe they're the upgrade HID. (They have the "ribs" in front of the outside lamps.) Never had any issues with them, errors-wise, and they are definitely a lot brighter than the high-beams (which I understand remain original).