Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement HV Battery - Has anyone (successfully) kept the core?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am unfortunately needing to replace the 85kWh HV battery in my 2013 S85 (127k mi), out of warranty ~$13,500+ (reman).

On the Service Estimate it states:
"Any parts (including tires/wheels) removed or replaced by Tesla during vehicle service will become the property of Tesla. However, at the time you authorize repairs, you may
request to receive (subject to any applicable core charge, which you agree to pay) or inspect replaced parts (excluding inflatable restraint system components), except body shop repair parts and parts required to be returned to the manufacturer or a third party under a warranty, trade-in or exchange agreement, which will only be presented to you for examination and not returned."

Has anyone requested to keep the failed HV unit as part of the service successfully?

I am unfortunately needing to replace the 85kWh HV battery in my 2013 S85 (127k mi), out of warranty ~$13,500+ (reman).

On the Service Estimate it states:
"Any parts (including tires/wheels) removed or replaced by Tesla during vehicle service will become the property of Tesla. However, at the time you authorize repairs, you may
request to receive (subject to any applicable core charge, which you agree to pay) or inspect replaced parts (excluding inflatable restraint system components), except body shop repair parts and parts required to be returned to the manufacturer or a third party under a warranty, trade-in or exchange agreement, which will only be presented to you for examination and not returned."

Has anyone requested to keep the failed HV unit as part of the service successfully?
Tesla will not let you keep the failed HV unit even if you request it (and that is against some state laws)

Last I heard, a long time ago, people were quoted $10k and $15k for the core charge. $10k is probably reasonable, $15k is getting questionable. (Most failed 85/90 packs probably have almost $20k worth good of resalable parts.)

The core charge, assuming there is one, is something I'm curious about.
Only Tesla can tell you that.

The conversation will probably start by them flatly saying they "can't" give it to you because it's dangerous, high voltage, liability, blah blah blah.

If you push it and start citing California BAR rules that say they must return parts to you if you ask them to, then the core charge will magically appear. I expect it will be at least $10k.

Last I heard, a long time ago, people were quoted $10k and $15k for the core charge. $10k is probably reasonable, $15k is getting questionable. (Most failed 85/90 packs probably have almost $20k worth good of resalable parts.)
The remanufactured 85 pack being installed has a cost of $13,500, so one would reasonably expect a core charge significantly less than that. If I find out, I will report back. I'm hoping someone can chime in with their actual experience.

The remanufactured 85 pack being installed has a cost of $13,500, so one would reasonably expect a core charge significantly less than that.
Why? Say the core charge is $15k, that means the actual cost of the reman pack you are getting installed is $28,500, and they are crediting you the $15k core charge to get the $13.5k end cost. ($15k is significantly less than $28.5k.)

And as I said a failed 85 pack is likely worth ~$20k if parted out. (The core packs are very valuable unlike a failed water pump or other traditional ICE vehicle part.)

I once got some parts back that I requested from the Tesla service center. They denied my request, I sent a copy of the State Statutes explaining that I have a right to have my parts returned to me since the car was no longer under warranty. Always have a paper trail when dealing with Tesla, dont ever go by any promises or word of mouth.

Two ways to get it back, First, you must request parts be returned to you BEFORE service begins.
THEN one of three things will happen;
1: Service center will fight tooth and nail to not let you have it and argue with you hoping you give up.
2: Service will tell you there is a $XX,XXX core fee to get the battery back.
3: Service forgets to tell you about #2's core fee or note it in estimate/invoices. Then once service is complete, they MUST give you the battery at no charge. They will likely refuse to, then you can take Tesla to court, Tesla will then need to either pay you the value of the battery (Likely what they would have charged for the core fee) or Give you the battery.

Option 3 is not likely, but actually the best outcome to get your battery back at little to no cost. Same can be done with a drive unit.

ALWAYS have proof that you requested parts back in advance. I recommend putting it in the INITIAL request for service so it's actually in writing. THEN Screenshot it.
Second, you can request verbally when you drop vehicle off. This one is more difficult to PROVE. If your in a state like mine, which is a single party state, unless no recording signage is posted in the service center, you could record yourself verbally asking.

I have not done it with a battery or drive unit yet, but in the last 10 years, I've gotten enough parts back, that I've been able to recoup a portion of repair costs by reselling replaced parts on eBay. The biggest cash in was after my Model S got T-Boned in Illinois on the freeway. Seemed a number of good parts were replaced just because. I kept everything that wasn't destroyed. Labeled everything as such. Got enough back to pay my deductible (hit and run), and send the younger son to camp.