Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement key fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I lost one of the key fobs for my 2018 model s and am about to trade the car in for a Y. Does anyone know if I can programme a 2014 model s key to be recognised? I know the US fobs work on a different frequency so won't work, but am hoping I'll be able to use the 'Add a key fob' instruction from the centre screen to reprogramme a 2nd hand UK fob to work with my S. Trying to avoid the extortionate charge Tesla will no doubt try to inflict on me.

I had a new key reprogrammed for my 2017 MX last week. I bought a new key fob off eBay for £40 (kind of a bargain tbh) and Tesla charged £87 to reprogram it. They initially quoted £155 to supply and reprogram a new key which I think it's fairly decent when comparing to other car brands.

I'm on MCU1 and dont have an option to add a key fob, not sure MCU2 is different... I thought this was only possible on the 3/Y cars.

Reactions: unbelievable
I had a new key reprogrammed for my 2017 MX last week. I bought a new key fob off eBay for £40 (kind of a bargain tbh) and Tesla charged £87 to reprogram it. They initially quoted £155 to supply and reprogram a new key which I think it's fairly decent when comparing to other car brands.

I'm on MCU1 and dont have an option to add a key fob, not sure MCU2 is different... I thought this was only possible on the 3/Y cars.
Ah, ok, it's not too expensive then. I seem to remember £300 for the key and then reprogramming on top of that.

I have this option so I thought it might work.

Was the new key you bought from eBay used or brand new? I bought 2 from eBay but found out they are used and activated / tied to other Tesla vehicles. They work (not broken). Had Tesla Mobile Service come out yesterday they said if the key fob bought from Ebay was not deactivated from the vehicle it was activated for they cannot reprogramm it.