Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement Keycards Now $35

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My only problem with not having a fob (and I know you can order a Tesla one) is where do I keep my house key?! For my current car (2014 Mazda CX-5) I have a nice flat fob and my house key on the ring - that's it. So easy and unobtrusive to keep in pocket, but large enough so it doesn't get lost. Now if I just have to carry the house key alone...... #FirstWorldProblems

My only problem with not having a fob (and I know you can order a Tesla one) is where do I keep my house key?! For my current car (2014 Mazda CX-5) I have a nice flat fob and my house key on the ring - that's it. So easy and unobtrusive to keep in pocket, but large enough so it doesn't get lost. Now if I just have to carry the house key alone...... #FirstWorldProblems

Replace your home entry door with a keyless Schlage Touch Camelot Lock.

Still really hoping they would add a smaller card key option. I have very limited wallet space (by design) and would prefer my "backup" to my iPhone to be smaller like the 1/4 or 1/3 size cards some frequent shopper cards are.

I remember cutting SIM cards to fit in smaller phones. Given some people are placing the chips from the cards in to rings etc... presumably it would be possible for us to learn how to trim the card to a much smaller form factor with a little guidance.

and as for the price. $35 is next to nothing, and I think represents the effort to distribute the key cards vs the cost of manufacture. Very appreciative coming from the $400-$500 key fob paradigm.

I remember cutting SIM cards to fit in smaller phones. Given some people are placing the chips from the cards in to rings etc... presumably it would be possible for us to learn how to trim the card to a much smaller form factor with a little guidance.

and as for the price. $35 is next to nothing, and I think represents the effort to distribute the key cards vs the cost of manufacture. Very appreciative coming from the $400-$500 key fob paradigm.

Just noticed that the Tesla shop now shows extra keycards to be $35 for 2 of them, I believe they were $25 for 2 very recently...

Anyone know if it is cheaper to get these through the service center?

Model 3/Y Key Card

Just picked up the vehicle yesterday & during the hand-off, the person indicated that it would cost $25 for the cards. That was at the service center. So perhaps call your local service center to ask?

Goodluck !

I actually have a "card" all ready to go (had to de-solve it). I just haven't found a good method for putting it into something that would work for me yet.

IMG_1364.JPG

Finally got around to testing those Tesla cards. I have an NFC card duplicator. Works fairly well. Was curious if I could clone a card.... NOPE, won't even read the card. Must be using some odd frequency or something. Going to do a little more research and use my spectrum analyser/frequency counter next.
I used to work on public transport cards, and you won't be able to communicate (or at least perform a write operation) with those unless you have the relevant security keys. There's different levels of security on NFC cards, they could be very dumb (basically just allowing to read some data from it) to very complex.

Obviously the issuer doesn't want you to be able to copy public transport cards as you can then basically ride for free (though there are other back-end checks that quickly catch that happening). People figured out how to hack those cards when the encryption level was rather mediocre.

Last edited: