Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2017 S100d FSD. Under Warranty. I went in for the eMMC replacement and due to chronic WiFi connectivity issues am having a replacement MCU1 installed. Part says MCU NA PREMIUM-Hardware 2.0/2.5/3.0 -Remanufactured
Has anyone had this done? Can i expect any improvement in overall MCU1 function?

Question: Does anyone know where GPS functions reside? Is there a GPS board/chips/antenna built into MCU1, or are those external components?

I ask because Tesla Service recently replaced my MCU1 with a "new" (reconditioned) MCU1. Since then, I have a new issue... my GPS guidance is totally wacked out. Shows me skating over waterways, fields and wrong roads while I'm simply driving straight down the highway. Service already has me booked for a follow-up appointment and I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of it. But my first guess is that the replacement part (yes, mine also is # 1098010-90-B) contains faulty GPS components.

Thoughts?

Well that is sure depressing to hear.!
I got my car back today after 10 calendar days with the reconditioned MCU1 and 64gb eMMC chip.
I think they decided to replace the MCU1 because they duplicated the intermittent WiFi connectivity I have chronically had and could not fix it any other way. So, I get home and guess what. Cannot connect to WiFi even though car is 6 ft. from Extender and iPhone in car picks up network with 30mbps download.Read on teslaTap to do scroll wheel reset and, cross my fingers, it appears to be working for now.!!!

Hope that stays fixed for you! Keep us posted.

I wonder if Service is moving from replacing daughter boards to just swapping out entire reconned MCU's. Would save them time in the service bay since they avoid having to open the removed MCU on site, have someone mess with the insides, swap out the board, avoid damaging the internal cables and other components, etc. They can then send in the original MCU1's and have the interior work done off site in a more controlled fashion. This is all just speculation on my part.

Bottom line: I just want it to work!

Here's an update... Service says they fixed my GPS problem:

"Found replacement MCU is incorrectly equipped and missing gyro board. installed gyro board..."

Can someone tell me where the "gyro board" lives (inside the MCU perhaps?) and what is the part number for such?
If this is an item that's integral to an MCU1, and Tesla installed a "reconditioned" MCU that was missing this vital component, it doesn't say much for their quality control, does it?

Here's an update... Service says they fixed my GPS problem:

"Found replacement MCU is incorrectly equipped and missing gyro board. installed gyro board..."

Can someone tell me where the "gyro board" lives (inside the MCU perhaps?) and what is the part number for such?
If this is an item that's integral to an MCU1, and Tesla installed a "reconditioned" MCU that was missing this vital component, it doesn't say much for their quality control, does it?
They Gryo board is on the modem, inside the MCU. We have also seen a car with a missing gyro, car was used so no idea how it was missing, we installed one for them.

Thanks FixMe. As my saga goes, picked up my car from service yesterday and then returned it 5 min later. While the GPS issue was resolved (with addition of Gyro board), my LTE was malfunctioning, switching into 3G. Now again ready for pickup, after installation of a new "connectivity board" (by which I guess they mean the LTE card.)

So now after my 5th visit to service (two separate attempts at software fixes to my MCU issues, third for install of a recon MCU1, fourth to install missing gyro board, and fifth to replace faulty LTE card that was in the recon MCU)... I HOPE everything is good now!

The guys at the service center are very nice, but clearly the overall quality of service had dropped from prior years, at least in my experience.
"Your mileage may vary.". I hope it does!

Reactions: EV-Fixme
SC called last week to give appointment for MCU replacement. He just called to canx. No parts?
I asked about complete replacement? """Oh no, u only get a new chip,"". WTF, over?? No I get new MCU. Complete. ""No u get a new chip on the motherboard""". Same mcu1. That's not what tesla email says???
So, seems different SCs do different things.

Question: Does anyone know where GPS functions reside? Is there a GPS board/chips/antenna built into MCU1, or are those external components?

I ask because Tesla Service recently replaced my MCU1 with a "new" (reconditioned) MCU1. Since then, I have a new issue... my GPS guidance is totally wacked out. Shows me skating over waterways, fields and wrong roads while I'm simply driving straight down the highway. Service already has me booked for a follow-up appointment and I'm sure they'll get to the bottom of it. But my first guess is that the replacement part (yes, mine also is # 1098010-90-B) contains faulty GPS components.

Thoughts?
How has your GPS been working?

My wife drives our S and started having GPS wandering issues a couple of months ago. Our MCU was replaced in early 2020 by Tesla. In response to the recent GPS issues, Tesla replaced the connectivity board. That didn't fix it, so they've just told me that the new connectivity board isn't compatible with the older hardware on the MCU and they would need to replace the entire infotainment system to get things working again. Trying to keep straight in my mind which parts of which hardware are involved is just a bit confusing -- particularly when it appears that not all the hardware is compatible.

UPDATE.. I took car in at 8am. Lady said she was giving me loaner, it would take 4 hours since have to Reload firmware and test it. . Six hours I went to get car. Got in, immediately the tire pressure Sensor error came on? Which means they did NOT reload firmware.
So question is , how do we know they really changed the daughter board??? They certainly didn't reload the software or that error would have been erased. And. If they totally reloaded firmware from zero, I would think my settings would be back to factory??
Oh well I never had any of the problem folks reported, so I reckon it's ok?
Footnote,,,,,, I used to have the live Google traffic update feature. It disappeared on last sw update? I asked about it? ,""That only comes with autopilot""". Huh?
I just remembered, they didn't fix door sw. When I open LR door, it opens RF door. SC guy just giggled and walked off. He didn't care one twit.

Last edited:
UPDATE.. I took car in at 8am. Lady said she was giving me loaner, it would take 4 hours since have to Reload firmware and test it. . Six hours I went to get car. Got in, immediately the tire pressure Sensor error came on? Which means they did NOT reload firmware.
So question is , how do we know they really changed the daughter board??? They certainly didn't reload the software or that error would have been erased. And. If they totally reloaded firmware from zero, I would think my settings would be back to factory??
Footnote,,,,,, I used to have the live Google traffic update feature. It disappeared on last sw update? I asked about it? ,""That only comes with autopilot""". Huh?
I just remembered, they didn't fix door sw. When I open LR door, it opens RF door. SC guy just giggled and walked off. He didn't care one twit.
Try a reboot, a new board should boot in 90 seconds. Old boards are much slower.

im letting everybody know my first experience with a tesla SC was for the eMMC recall same time I had TScreen replaced cause leaking lcd goop so they gave me a price $834
when I saw the invoice they tried to charge me $230 labor. I know a little about common sence they had the mcu out already so why labor charge? they evenly took off labor kinda shady 1st experience a few days later I find out about the mcu1 to MCU2 upgrade so I scheduled for it not knowing exactly what parts are going to be upgraded but I knew I just had the touchscreen replaced. come day of appointment it took texting back and forth about what parts....yes its a different TScreen and I said can you give me credit for the one you put in less then a week earlier they said no because they said they mentioned to me the upgrade when I was there for the recall. that is a flat out lie why would I want 4 days later? I finnaly spoke to a manager and he stuck up for his employee and again I asked why would I want it 4 days later he said maybe buyers remorse I said what the ****? I then asked what his name was he said Farzi I said last name he said D just D? no we don't give out last names at this point they are scandalous. this was Tuesday there is no phone#'s to speak to anybody in the whole Tesla corporation. I will spend the rest of my life however long that will be idk but I'm going to keep on going up there ladder there top boss is Elon Musk who's net worth is 160b as in billion and he runs a company that hides from there customers. I will see how much they can hide from me. I have nothing to loose along the way. I know in my own self that business is shady at best. When you pay sales tax by law the party charging the tax has to describe the item you are paying the tax on not just say that package is $1500 +tax whats inside the package? parts what parts how many parts what part cost this much?....I know if they get audited they can't say oh that was a package deal and that was a different package...they ****ed with the wrong person

STE$LAR, If I were you I would go directly to the Service Center and ask to speak to their Service Manager. Forget the texting back and forth and go directly to the person in charge there. If that doesn't help then ask for their regional manager. I've spoken to him before, I think his name is Michael.​