Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement Number Plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Apologies if there is already a thread on this ......but here goes:

I'm about to put my private number on my M3. As those of you who have had your M3s handed over will know, the number plates supplied by Tesla are thin metal ones which clip (rear) or slide (front) into a plastic holder on the car. The rear one in particular has to be a very exact fit in the holder - the clips that hold it are very small and there is very little room for variations in plate size. I've asked Tesla who they buy them from (so that I can get some of identical size), but no reply as yet.
However, when looking closely you find that the holder that the number plates clip into is held by two screws onto anther plate behind which is in turn fixed to the bodywork. The 'back' plate is perfect for fitting a standard UK size plate to using the screws that, as delivered, hold the outer holder onto the back plate plate. So, why bother with the outer holder? It appears unnecessary, and when you look at it is a truely cheap and nasty bit of c**p. The advantage of doing away with the holder and fixing the new plates direct to the car backplate is that the exact size and thickness of the number plates is irrelavant (subject to a bit of care over the screw lengths), so you can get them from any supplier. Any thoughts??

Apologies if there is already a thread on this ......but here goes:

I'm about to put my private number on my M3. As those of you who have had your M3s handed over will know, the number plates supplied by Tesla are thin metal ones which clip (rear) or slide (front) into a plastic holder on the car. The rear one in particular has to be a very exact fit in the holder - the clips that hold it are very small and there is very little room for variations in plate size. I've asked Tesla who they buy them from (so that I can get some of identical size), but no reply as yet.
However, when looking closely you find that the holder that the number plates clip into is held by two screws onto anther plate behind which is in turn fixed to the bodywork. The 'back' plate is perfect for fitting a standard UK size plate to using the screws that, as delivered, hold the outer holder onto the back plate plate. So, why bother with the outer holder? It appears unnecessary, and when you look at it is a truely cheap and nasty bit of c**p. The advantage of doing away with the holder and fixing the new plates direct to the car backplate is that the exact size and thickness of the number plates is irrelavant (subject to a bit of care over the screw lengths), so you can get them from any supplier. Any thoughts??

While I don't have personalised number plates I do agree that the fixing looks cheap and unbefitting what is supposed to be a luxury car. My guess is that the clip-in system is designed for speed of insertion of the plates given how many M3s they were shifting out of the Heathrow Tesla centre last week.

I'd certainly be interested in getting a smarter replacement without the plastic holder. Keep us posted here on your progress!

• Informative
Reactions: Edifice
I fitted private acrylic plates on my m3. I decided to remove the holder and the plastic bracket (which in my opinion look awful), this was easy at the rear using the same screws which held the bracket and yellow cups to hide the screw heads. The screws fit into a plastic insert.
At the front it was more of a challenge because of the concave shape and the lack of plastic inserts. Larger screws are required to bridge the void and give sufficient purchase.
I’m very pleased with the end result after a bit of a struggle.

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I was contemplating removing the outer plate holder and using double sided adhesive tape to attach plastic plates to the Tesla inner plate instead of screws and caps. I took the front plate off to investigate and I think it will work provided the double sided tape is good quality. The plates were previously attached directly onto the bodywork on the car they are coming from and didn’t fall off.:cool:

I changed mine yesterday

Rear - I removed the ugly plate and surround, and also the plastic plinth attached to the body. Stuck on a plastic plate

front - removed the ugly plate and surround and left the plinth as it fits the contour of the bumper. Screwed the replacement plate to that plinth

I also bought stick ons front and rear but I am happy with the results so won’t bother with those

Reactions: Keeper
I changed mine yesterday

Rear - I removed the ugly plate and surround, and also the plastic plinth attached to the body. Stuck on a plastic plate

front - removed the ugly plate and surround and left the plinth as it fits the contour of the bumper. Screwed the replacement plate to that plinth

I also bought stick ons front and rear but I am happy with the results so won’t bother with those

Some images?

Some images?

excuse the dirt

Rears stuck with sticky pads to the metal, seems very well stuck

tried the same on the front plinth but the stickies wouldn’t stick to the plastic plinth so I screwed them to the plinth. Plinth is very easy to screw to

Attachments

• F8BDCB36-FE80-4DC1-8038-0316BC0DBEDA.jpeg
    F8BDCB36-FE80-4DC1-8038-0316BC0DBEDA.jpeg
    305.4 KB · Views: 598
  • 1C6B167E-9612-4A39-9415-969948B60FDA.jpeg
    1C6B167E-9612-4A39-9415-969948B60FDA.jpeg
    353.6 KB · Views: 409
  • EBBB6DDE-8704-48C0-B737-033324176C44.jpeg
    EBBB6DDE-8704-48C0-B737-033324176C44.jpeg
    432.5 KB · Views: 429
  • CC5025D6-E953-455B-9ACA-4383457F24E9.jpeg
    CC5025D6-E953-455B-9ACA-4383457F24E9.jpeg
    492 KB · Views: 421
  • 8F7577AB-43A7-4FCA-A1CE-4621C7B5D48E.jpeg
    8F7577AB-43A7-4FCA-A1CE-4621C7B5D48E.jpeg
    412.7 KB · Views: 395
I changed mine yesterday

After a good inspection of the mountings today, that's the exact plan I've decided to take. Will do it next weekend. I'll also be able to re-use one of the holders for the back of the trailer.