Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement of Alpine IVA-NAV-10

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No one can tell if the TR has the ISO connectors and an Alpine adapter, or if the Alpine 16 pin connector is hardwired?
Also, if you want to order from Tesla a new radio wiring harness to adapt to a different radio (so the original wiring harness is not altered but rather a replacement for it is fashioned for the new radio), here is the part number and the cost I paid in 2014:
Tesla Roadster Radio Wiring Harness.JPG

[USER=8690 said:
@JohnGarziglia[/USER] when you measured 2A on the Alpine, what was it doing at the time?
It was on at a moderately high volume but not measuring the current draw of the outboard HD radio and Sirius/XM modules.

The Alpine, and anything else that will be put into the Roadster 2.5, has a power amp behind it so audio volume should not greatly impact current draw. Pioneer, when referring to a current draw of 10 amps, may be measuring current draw when directly connected to speakers rather than speaker outputs going to a power amp.

Reactions: dpeilow
OK so I pulled the Alpine out yesterday to check the connectors. The 16 pin plug for power and speakers looked similar to the Pioneer, but unfortunately not similar enough.

Anyway, my car and I presume others in Europe are fitted with the Alpine IVA-W502R. This seems to have some important differences to the IVA-NAV-10.

The Nav and Bluetooth are off-board and connected through some proprietary multi-pin bus cables. Eventually these are going to have to be removed.

The reversing camera is connected through a white aux AV connector but only two pins are used and according to the manual I downloaded on the Alpine adapter this just goes to a yellow RCA, so I presume that it does not need the power supply described up thread (or that is somewhere in the wiring loom already).

I didn't see any RCAs or other leads going to speakers, so I presume that any power amp or the sub-woofer is fed from the normal speaker outputs of the Alpine. This would make sense as when I move the fader to the rear it loses the sub.

Anyway, it seems if I can get a female Alpine adapter, I can do a quick and dirty switch to check the Pioneer is working ok.

Link to the manual - installation and wiring details at the back: https://www.alpine-europe.com/filea...r_audio_manuals/IVA-W502R/OM_IVA-W502R_EN.pdf

Model details

20160417_125600.jpg

Pin out

20160417_124543.jpg

Head unit removed

20160417_125400.jpg

Camera interface unit behind passenger side glove box

20160417_130941.jpg

Bluetooth unit on driver's side. Note the navigation receiver is in the top right of the picture, on top of the switchpack

20160417_130925.jpg

Main 16 pin power and speaker connector (hard wired with totally non-standard wire colours)

20160417_130147.jpg

Camera connector

20160417_131154.jpg

20160417_131122.jpg

iPod / USB connector

20160417_131243.jpg

Nav connector

20160417_131318.jpg

Last edited:
Does anyone know if it is possible to get a female Alpine 16 pin connector on a harness (i.e. replicating the radio side), or if any other OEMs use the same head unit (or a compatible one) so that I can order one?
You really need to get the dash off. The Alpine wiring harness should be plugged into a more standard harness back in there somewhere. That's where you really want to start, and you'll need to remove all of those proprietary accessories.

Reactions: dpeilow
I'm going to remove the dash with some assistance this Sunday. Last week was about checking out what connectors were under there - it was always my intention to remove the auxilliary units as well.

I fired up the Pioneer on my desk before committing to fitting it. Good news is it works. It seems to take around 2.2 A when the phone is plugged in (it's Android Auto so this will happen a lot). Without the phone it's 1.7 A and on standby my bench power supply couldn't measure it, so under 0.01 A.

BenchTest.jpg

So Sunday was a nice day and I finally got around to gutting the Roadster and removing the Alpine bits.

20160515_164725.jpg

In addition to the head unit I had to get out the nav box, stuck onto the switchpack.

20160515_152440.jpg

The Bluetooth module.

20160515_152453.jpg

And luckily I was able to leave in place the Alpine reversing camera interface, which meant the connection to the new Pioneer unit is just a coax and phono connector (left of the vent) and not have to make a DIY power supply.

20160515_152447.jpg

I was able to splice on the Pioneer connector to the Tesla wiring harness, despite Tesla's totally non-standard colours, and with a bit of experimentation got the reverse activation working too. What seems to be missing is a speed pulse and illumination status from the car. Anyone else got any ideas about a source for those?

Luckily I had former Roadster tech Neil Wise on hand to help with the disassembly and reassembly, otherwise the job might have taken two days. Big thanks to him for the help.

20160515_164659.jpg

And finally I was able to get DAB in the car, despite not even installing the antenna for that in its final location with a ground plane it was getting reasonable reception at my place.

20160516_123704.jpg

I still need to do a couple of minor items to finish the job, but the big issue still is trying to get Android Auto to cooperate with my Galaxy S5. In short, it's a pain. It worked for about 10 seconds playing music before freezing. Even a factory reset of the stereo and reinstall of the app hasn't sorted it. Slightly annoying as this was the main reason to get the radio and pay £300 more than the non AA variant. Methinks it's a Samsung problem or maybe poor USB cable.

Also need some airbag clips but I guess they're a Lotus part.

Reactions: Mark77a
N-ICE !
Excellent write up and pictures David - Thanks for sharing, that's what makes this group !
I'm glad you tracked down Neil... a valuable UK Roadster resource.

The key question for me is: Do you get better BBC radio 4 reception ? (I know 'sad' :) )
  • How does it work in patchy areas, such as across the New Forest A31 ?
  • On FM or DAB ?
  • Did you upgrade the aerial ?
I got a DAB adapter and rear window stick on aerial - which initially helped DAB reception, a bit, where FM was poor, but has now stopped working (so will be taken out). I have now gone back to Internet radio via Bluetooth (TuneIn and RadioPlayer apps) which is better than FM.

One of the minor jobs as I mentioned is to put the DAB antenna on the passenger side of the windscreen. Right now it is in the area under the fuse box for storage.

It is one of the active glass mount types with an adhesive copper strap that you are supposed to stick to the car's A pillar under the trim, but on the Roadster there is no metal there to attach to. Reading through Lotus forums it seems that the trick is to run a thin strip of aluminium baking foil and prit-stick or similar glue down the corner of the A pillar to attach to the chassis, then stick the DAB antenna to it. I will attempt that later this week.

However the reception is already better than FM without this, although being digital the results are somewhat binary.

So I popped the head unit out and plugged my phone directly into the back using its own cable.

The good news is that the head unit is working fine.

The bad news is that the USB extension supplied by Pioneer that Neil so diligently threaded through the dash and down to the phone holder slot isn't up to the job. Arrgh.

Android Auto works fine however, if somewhat slow on the S5. It really pushes the resource utilisation to the limit.

20160517_204836.jpg