Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

replacement tires and tire aspect ratio question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry for yet another tire question, but I've research this to death and so much information is getting old.

I've got a 2018 LR RWD with Michelin MXM4's that are in need of replacement at 31K miles. In my research, I've found that these tires, while still available, have been "replaced" with the Primacy Tour A/S. Neither one has had great reviews. I thought I had settled on the CrossClimate+ until I found out that the new model was available, the CrossClimate 2.

However, the aspect ratio for the CC2 is 50, but the OEM was 40. How much of a difference will that make? I've read that it can affect the speedometer reading and efficiency. Will the navigation account for that in the range calculations? At this point I feel like just giving up on my tire research and go with the MXM4 just because I know the tire, but it really is dreadful. I have friends who went with Pirelli Cinturatos, Continentals, and what have you, and my tire shop told me this morning that they just put a set of CC2's on a Model 3 yesterday.

Should I try to get some CrossClimate+, with an aspect ratio of 45? How much will the aspect ratio affect the things I've mentioned above? It not an option to wait until dedicated EV tires come out in the fall. I don't care as much about efficiency as I do the accuracy of my speed and navigation.

Plug in your OEM Tire size and the tire size you're looking to get.

General rule of thumb is you want to keep overall diameter no more than +/- 2%

Danny
Thank you! From this, it looks like I shouldn't buy the CrossClimate 2's.

Reactions: MODEL+
I’m on my third set of tires now. Went with the stock Michelins for set 2 because it was easy and I regretted it (as you said, not a great tire). For third set I did research and selected the Cross Climates. I honestly don’t remember if they are CC+ or CC2, got them around August 2020. I like the CCs much better from a feel and grip standpoint, especially in rain. Efficiency is about 4% lower than my lifetime performance with 2 sets of the stock tires, which I’m willing to accept for better traction / safety. The CCs were also less expensive and have a higher tread ware rating, so I’m hopeful I’ll get a bit more life out of them as well.

I’m on my third set of tires now. Went with the stock Michelins for set 2 because it was easy and I regretted it (as you said, not a great tire). For third set I did research and selected the Cross Climates. I honestly don’t remember if they are CC+ or CC2, got them around August 2020. I like the CCs much better from a feel and grip standpoint, especially in rain. Efficiency is about 4% lower than my lifetime performance with 2 sets of the stock tires, which I’m willing to accept for better traction / safety. The CCs were also less expensive and have a higher tread ware rating, so I’m hopeful I’ll get a bit more life out of them as well.
Thanks! Oddly enough, (or not) I just had an ad for the CC2's pop up in my feed and it seems they do in fact come in 45's. That makes me happy, as the +'s are or will be discontinued and I want to be sure my tires haven't been sitting in a warehouse for awhile.

The factory MXM4s have not been replaced or deprecated - they just changed from T0 spec to T1. Slightly different Tesla spec now, available on TireRack. But they're still prohibitively expensive. It will be hard to match the economy of the factory tire with anything else, but as someone that also went aftermarket, you'll save hundreds in the process of looking at different tires.

I have Pirelli Pzero summer tires, and while economy took a dive, the car is so much more fun and planted now. CrossClimate should also help driving manners, even if it will be a tad bit noisier.

Sorry for yet another tire question, but I've research this to death and so much information is getting old.

I've got a 2018 LR RWD with Michelin MXM4's that are in need of replacement at 31K miles. In my research, I've found that these tires, while still available, have been "replaced" with the Primacy Tour A/S. Neither one has had great reviews. I thought I had settled on the CrossClimate+ until I found out that the new model was available, the CrossClimate 2.

However, the aspect ratio for the CC2 is 50, but the OEM was 40. How much of a difference will that make? I've read that it can affect the speedometer reading and efficiency. Will the navigation account for that in the range calculations? At this point I feel like just giving up on my tire research and go with the MXM4 just because I know the tire, but it really is dreadful. I have friends who went with Pirelli Cinturatos, Continentals, and what have you, and my tire shop told me this morning that they just put a set of CC2's on a Model 3 yesterday.

Should I try to get some CrossClimate+, with an aspect ratio of 45? How much will the aspect ratio affect the things I've mentioned above? It not an option to wait until dedicated EV tires come out in the fall. I don't care as much about efficiency as I do the accuracy of my speed and navigation.

saying a tire has an aspect ratio of 40 is like saying it has a shape of round, that doesn't give enough information to decide anything, Doesn't matter what the aspect ratio is if the inner diameter fits the wheel and the outer diameter fits the wheel well.

What you need to be looking at is Revs Per Mile (preferred) or Outer Diameter (fallback if you can't find revs per mile).

Get the revs per mile of the OEM tire from the factory and make sure your replacement tire is less than 3% higher or lower.

How much the revs per mile changes is the answer to all your questions about speedometer reading. Efficiency will be down to the tire brand/model more than the size difference.

Reactions: coleAK
saying a tire has an aspect ratio of 40 is like saying it has a shape of round, that doesn't give enough information to decide anything, Doesn't matter what the aspect ratio is if the inner diameter fits the wheel and the outer diameter fits the wheel well.

What you need to be looking at is Revs Per Mile (preferred) or Outer Diameter (fallback if you can't find revs per mile).

Get the revs per mile of the OEM tire from the factory and make sure your replacement tire is less than 3% higher or lower.

How much the revs per mile changes is the answer to all your questions about speedometer reading. Efficiency will be down to the tire brand/model more than the size difference.
See the wonderful link that Model + posted above.

See the wonderful link that Model + posted above.
calculators like that are rules of thumb, if you are near the edge of acceptable limits you'll have to go by actual values and not a calculated value. Some manufacturers don't stay in the middle of the expected size range making sites like that less than accurate.

Tirerack.com is usually a safe place to check, you can of course mount the tire and measure yourself if you don't trust the online numbers.