Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement Tires for 19" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Comfort suspension was a change in the part numbers for the front and rear dampers starting in late '22 for the 2023MY vehicles. Control arm bushings would not affect ride quality significantly in the way that it relates to this thread - they are responsible for the positioning of the control arm, not bearing any vertical load of the vehicle.

Reactions: Pianewman
Elon confirmation Oct 2022
Announced as “comfort suspension”
Not in performance edition
More info
This is based on youtuber's feelings. I've seen his videos but I was hoping on finding out more from some sort of more reliable source.

I have a 2023 and no complaints about ride quality and even in NY metro roads, with the performance, we did not get the comfort suspension update

Just inspected and rotated the tires side to side and the Mich are wearing perfectly

I have a 2023 and no complaints about ride quality and even in NY metro roads, with the performance, we did not get the comfort suspension update

Just inspected and rotated the tires side to side and the Mich are wearing perfectly
Yes, the 2023 Performance also received revised dampers that are softer. 2022 MYP rides slightly harder - I have driven both back to back. Zevcentric also posted a YouTube video with the struts on the bench to show how the newest 2023 shocks are more compliant.

Reactions: kpanda17
The Model Y suspension is mostly transplanted Model 3 suspension, which is a terrible mistake. Outside a narrow range of movement, the suspension angles get all out of sorts. Thus, when hitting a bump midcorner, the car gets dangerously unsettled. Stiffening the springs and damping keeps the suspension within a range that works well, but has other side effects on ride. I'm satisfied with the tradeoff if not the overall product. Teslas are built as cheaply as possible and it shows.

17,000-mile update comparing OEM tire vs Pirelli P7 AS+ 3 vs DWS06+. Each set of tires was installed in August of 2021, 2022, and 2023 respectively and driven until the following Spring. This helps normalize results across similar commutes, weather, and temperatures.

8/8/2021 - Took delivery of Model Y with OEM Continental ProContact RX. By 6/1/2022, we drove 17,016 miles and averaged 252 Wh/m.

8/13/2022 - Replaced OEM tires at 21,666 with Pirelli P7 AS+ 3. As of 5/20/2023, we drove 17,048 miles on this set and averaged 267 Wh/m (efficiency loss of 6% vs OEM tire).

8/16/2023 - Replaced Pirellis at 20,269 with Continental DWS06+. As of 4/17/2024, we drove 17,011 miles and averaged 271 Wh/m (efficiency loss of 7.5% vs OEM tire).

The DWS06+ is a great tire -- more grip, quieter, smoother ride, and barely an efficiency hit compared to the Grand Touring Pirelli P7 AS+ 3. Although the DWS06+ has been the best overall tire out of the three, there are times I wish it had more dry grip. I feel like I can take turns and highway clovers faster in our 2006 ES 330 sedan, with its squishy Lexus suspension and thin Michelin Premiers, than I can in the Model Y. The Model Y sits higher but I thought it would be balanced by the lower center of gravity and stiffer suspension around curves. Instead, it seems the old Lexus has a better weight distribution and is easier to keep up the speed through a turn. This is the only reason I might try the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4 next round just for comparison against the DWS06+.

17,000-mile update comparing OEM tire vs Pirelli P7 AS+ 3 vs DWS06+. Each set of tires was installed in August of 2021, 2022, and 2023 respectively and driven until the following Spring. This helps normalize results across similar commutes, weather, and temperatures.

8/8/2021 - Took delivery of Model Y with OEM Continental ProContact RX. By 6/1/2022, we drove 17,016 miles and averaged 252 Wh/m.

8/13/2022 - Replaced OEM tires at 21,666 with Pirelli P7 AS+ 3. As of 5/20/2023, we drove 17,048 miles on this set and averaged 267 Wh/m (efficiency loss of 6% vs OEM tire).

8/16/2023 - Replaced Pirellis at 20,269 with Continental DWS06+. As of 4/17/2024, we drove 17,011 miles and averaged 271 Wh/m (efficiency loss of 7.5% vs OEM tire).

The DWS06+ is a great tire -- more grip, quieter, smoother ride, and barely an efficiency hit compared to the Grand Touring Pirelli P7 AS+ 3. Although the DWS06+ has been the best overall tire out of the three, there are times I wish it had more dry grip. I feel like I can take turns and highway clovers faster in our 2006 ES 330 sedan, with its squishy Lexus suspension and thin Michelin Premiers, than I can in the Model Y. The Model Y sits higher but I thought it would be balanced by the lower center of gravity and stiffer suspension around curves. Instead, it seems the old Lexus has a better weight distribution and is easier to keep up the speed through a turn. This is the only reason I might try the Michelin Pilot Sport AS 4 next round just for comparison against the DWS06+.
the Lexus is 2 wheel, RWD.
the Model Y is 4 wheel, AWD. It's gonna understeer more when pushed into a corner.

I think the main factor in wear is the right foot. Bear with me...

My current car has the same kerb weight as a MY. It has an abundance of power if you hoof it. Yet I can get 50k miles from 4 tyres only hoofing it when necessary. This is often carrying a full load of passengers and luggage. In my case power goes to the front and the back is brought in for high torque. Tyre rotations for the win.

So the only real difference I see is how often and how much of the natural abundance of a stupid amount of torque gets applied.

We will see how I go on a 5 set of 19" Cooper Pro Control soon enough, unless plans change.