Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement Tires for 19" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Remember, you didn't pay that much for a luxury car with a luxury ride -- you paid that much for a big, efficient battery and good software.
Well, as I’ve said before, I’ve never complained about the ride of any other car I’ve owned, so my expectations were not even a luxury ride, just a decent one, but it didn’t even meet that.

As far as the software goes, I’ve been less than impressed as well. Excepting TACC autopilot works beautifully, but TACC is among the worst adaptive cruise systems on the market. The v11 interface made the whole thing more difficult to use and still has bugs. At least the core driving and charging functions work very well.

I had Pirelli Cinturao P7, then Michelin Primacy MX, and now Continental Extreme Contact DWS06.

Of the three, my favorite is still Pirelli. Second would be Michelin. The Michelin after 30k miles, I average 290 Wh/Mi. The Continental, currently after 4K on them I averaging 305 Wh/Mi. The Pirelli was a tad below 285.

Quiet, Pirelli wins.
Longer lasting, Michelin.
Not too crazy with Continental.
OEM I think was Bridgestone when it was new.

Reactions: RayB
I had Pirelli Cinturao P7, then Michelin Primacy MX, and now Continental Extreme Contact DWS06.

Of the three, my favorite is still Pirelli. Second would be Michelin. The Michelin after 30k miles, I average 290 Wh/Mi. The Continental, currently after 4K on them I averaging 305 Wh/Mi. The Pirelli was a tad below 285.

Quiet, Pirelli wins.
If your criteria is range, then you should rely on your own experience with the tires, and in your particular case Pirelli is the winner. My criteria is overall performance, so I relied on multiple professional reviews of these tires (Pirelli is always behind the the two). Continental and Michelin are consistently the top 2, but I chose Continental DSW06 Plus because it’s consistently quieter and more comfortable than Michelin PS A/S 4. It also helped that the size I wanted (255/50r19) is available in DWS06 Plus and not in Pilot Sport A/S 4.

Reactions: smilepak and RayB

Quiet, Pirelli wins.

For efficiency on 19" wheel, I don't think you can beat the OEM Continental Proconct RX. The Pirelli seems like a second choice as far as efficiency is concerned.

I’m looking for new tires, too and have the same goals.
Michelin Pilot Sport, Cross Climate and Vredestein Quatrac pro have been mentioned quite a bit. THe cross climates and pilots have a better tread wear rating but I’m probalby more concerned with the ride and comfort than the treadwear.
if more comfort is desired, look at 255/50/19 sizing.
fits no problem and gets you more sidewall for comfort.

Or, look at 265 or 275 /45/19.

But more sidewall is what you need.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Cross Climate 2 idea. I have never run dedicated 'snows' on any of my cars - but my Prius (the car before the Y) benefited from the 'All Weather' Celsius option...

So much tire discussion I've found seems to be centered on getting better performance etc. I'd be willing to trade performance for quieter ride and better efficiency. (I drive all the time in 'Chill' so clearly performance doesn't matter to me...)
I agree; when I get new tires literally all that will matter is sound and 'smoothness'.

Reactions: e645824
Well, I gave up and ordered more continentals. Conti pro contact. Had to do something in order to pass state inspection. They get put on this next week. I’ll report back …..
I was in the same boat in Feb when I needed to replace the rear tires to pass inspection - there were no other real options so more contis it was. At least I could just get 2 for now.

I have got to remember to rotate them more often :)

Well, I gave up and ordered more continentals. Conti pro contact. Had to do something in order to pass state inspection. They get put on this next week. I’ll report back …..
appointment done. too early to report back, but the short drive home wasn't too noisy.

my alignment 'before' wasn't good but it's been 'fixed' now.

the guy at the tire place (Town Fair Tire here in NH) did actually ask if I had the jack point pucks... I didn't even have to prompt him. not sure if that's a good thing (that he knows about them and the issues related to lifting a tesla) or a bad thing (that a tire shop doesn't have the right equipment already...)

Last edited:
Reactions: DrGriz
Anyone out there running Bridgestone Turanza QuietTrack 255/45-19 on their MY? I've not used on my Teslas but have in the past on other makes and found them to be quiet, comfortable and long-wearing. They seem well rated on TireRack among Tesla owners.

I am curious about this tire too. They got good rating as you mentioned but I am not willing to sacrifice 10% or more on efficiency. Waiting on someone to test the efficiency comparing to the OEM Continental Procontact RX.

We only just took delivery of our MY 10 d ago (Austin-built MYLR) and I'm already looking forward to different tires to improve the rough ride!

I guess there is no way that Tesla service would allow me to trade in essentially new tires for a different brand...
(I know I could remove and try to re-sell the Conti's online here, but don't want to go through that hassle.)

We only just took delivery of our MY 10 d ago (Austin-built MYLR) and I'm already looking forward to different tires to improve the rough ride!

I guess there is no way that Tesla service would allow me to trade in essentially new tires for a different brand...
(I know I could remove and try to re-sell the Conti's online here, but don't want to go through that hassle.)
The suspension will break in over the first 3000 miles or so. Experiment with the tire pressure. Many prefer setting the tire pressure (measured when the tires are cold, not been driven for 3 hours) down to 38 PSI. Some, myself included set the tire pressure to 43, 44 or 45 PSI and have found that the ride improves. You will have to experiment a little, then decide.

There is nothing wrong with the OE Continental Procontact RX tire. The Contisilent foam liner makes repairing the tire in the event of a puncture more work for the repair shop. The Procontact RX has good rolling efficiency. That is probably why Tesla chose to use the tire on the Long Range Model Y. The Procontact RX tires are not very good when driving on snow and ice but that should not be a problem in Florida.

Reactions: DrGriz
Thanks JC. Will take your advice and reserve judgment until "broken in". Have started with cold pressures at 44 psi. We'll experiment - bring that down a bit - and hope to find our "sweet spot" balancing out efficiency vs ride comfort vs tire wear. But at least for me, running in the 30's will be too high a "cost".

I'm just surprised to find the ride uncomfortable, as our test drives were on a MYP. Having found that acceptable, and knowing we were going with the 19s on our LR, I assumed that would be smoother yet. But we've only got about 100 mi on her so far, so we'll see what time does.

Wasn't aware of the extra issues on tire repair of the Conti's.... good to know.