Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement Tires for 19" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks JC. Will take your advice and reserve judgment until "broken in". Have started with cold pressures at 44 psi. We'll experiment - bring that down a bit - and hope to find our "sweet spot" balancing out efficiency vs ride comfort vs tire wear. But at least for me, running in the 30's will be too high a "cost".

I'm just surprised to find the ride uncomfortable, as our test drives were on a MYP. Having found that acceptable, and knowing we were going with the 19s on our LR, I assumed that would be smoother yet. But we've only got about 100 mi on her so far, so we'll see what time does.

Wasn't aware of the extra issues on tire repair of the Conti's.... good to know.
Like @jcanoe said, give it some time to break in but you’re not alone. There are innumerable complaints about the MY‘s ride. It’s the car’s single biggest weakness, IMO. I have a 2020 MY with the OEM contis on it and have dropped the cold pressure to 38 PSI. It helped a bit but the ride is still somewhere between harsh and punishing on anything but smooth roads (Which are hard to find here in MN) I’ve resigned myself to shelling out the money for the MPP coilovers to make the ride more bearable since I like the car otherwise and selling it isn’t an option. I also need new tires this fall so we’ll see if that helps.

newbie question here, how or where do you find the % of range loss with different tire brands/models? I'm starting to look for a winter option for myself in Colorado. Thanks
There's not a lot of good direct comparisons. I think consumer reports had some rolling resistance comparisons recently but beyond that you're left with looking at people's reviews and anecdotal reports. As @jcanoe said you can look for the 'low rolling resistance' label but there's still differences within those.

newbie question here, how or where do you find the % of range loss with different tire brands/models? I'm starting to look for a winter option for myself in Colorado. Thanks

just enter two tires, and specs and speedo differences are presented for you

I am scheduled to put on a set of Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3 this Saturday. They are the top-rated Grand Touring tire on TireRack. I will share initial impressions soon.

I had the original P7 Plus on a couple of Lexus sedans and Model S in the past and loved the tires. I am hoping the Plus 3 continues the tradition of confident grip and quiet, comfortable ride.

Just got back from America's Tire with a new set of Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3 in 255/45/19. There happened to be an applicable $70 promo, plus the 5% discount for using their 0% financing, which brought the grand total out-the-door to $1299.17, including the tire protection certificates. The P7 AS Plus 3 has a 70K-mile treadwear warranty but I doubt I'll see that. Hopefully they'll get close to 50K miles. We will see...

I only drove 17 miles so far and need more time to evaluate ride quality. At slow speed out of the parking lot the tires felt softer and more comfortable, but once up to speed they didn't seem to smooth out bumps any better than the OEM tire. More immediately noticeable though is the improved turn-in and grip. Even on fresh tires there was less delay during lane changes compared to the OEM tire. Also, there's this particular intersection near home that the OEM ProContact RX always understeers through on left turns. With the new Pirellis there wasn't any understeer and I was able to maintain a smoother arc through the intersection.

I am still curious to see if the ride quality will improve. It certainly isn't any worse than the OEM tire, but I expected a cushier ride based on past experience with the P7 AS Plus 1. However the P7 AS Plus 1 on the Model S had a load rating of only 98 versus 104 required for the Model Y, so maybe that has something to do with it.

And of course, the efficiency question! After 21,666 miles on the OEM ProContact RX we averaged 256 Wh/m. With only 17 miles on the P7 AS Plus 3 the tires averaged 279 Wh/m so far, so about a 9% penalty. However, the P7 are still very new and the OEM tires averaged 289 Wh/m the first four days of ownership last year (after ~185 miles). We drive an average of 60 miles a day and will break-in the tires real quick and report back soon with more efficiency numbers.

Last edited:
Reactions: e645824
I hit 42,000 miles on the stock Continentals and really liked the tires but put on Michelin Cross Climate 2s a month ago. I have about 3000 miles on them now and I can say I really like them on dry and in the rain. Waiting for the heavy snow this winter to test them on that front but so far so good on ride, noise, comfort and efficiency.

Reactions: KWC_Diu
I hit 42,000 miles on the stock Continentals and really liked the tires but put on Michelin Cross Climate 2s a month ago. I have about 3000 miles on them now and I can say I really like them on dry and in the rain. Waiting for the heavy snow this winter to test them on that front but so far so good on ride, noise, comfort and efficiency.
What has the efficiency been like on the CrossClimates compared to your prior lifetime average? Forty-two thousand on the OEM tires is very impressive. I only got literally half of that and I don't consider myself a hard driver. I replaced the Contis with 4/32nds left but doubt there was another 21K miles left in the next 2/32nds, more like 5K miles left maybe.

What has the efficiency been like on the CrossClimates compared to your prior lifetime average? Forty-two thousand on the OEM tires is very impressive. I only got literally half of that and I don't consider myself a hard driver. I replaced the Contis with 4/32nds left but doubt there was another 21K miles left in the next 2/32nds, more like 5K miles left maybe.
I drive in chill mode always unless needed for passing or to have some fun. I was at an average of 284 wh/m for the 42k miles on original tires and changed them at 3mm remaining. So far I'm around 266 wh/m on the Michelin CC2s but haven't gone through winter yet. During the summer with original tires I was getting about 261 wh/m. So really not much of a change at all. I'll have a really good idea on comparison after full cycle life of the new tires hopefully at about 50k miles.

I drive in chill mode always unless needed for passing or to have some fun. I was at an average of 284 wh/m for the 42k miles on original tires and changed them at 3mm remaining. So far I'm around 266 wh/m on the Michelin CC2s but haven't gone through winter yet. During the summer with original tires I was getting about 261 wh/m. So really not much of a change at all. I'll have a really good idea on comparison after full cycle life of the new tires hopefully at about 50k miles.
Correction I double checked the picture I took before I changed the tires. Original tires in summer I was getting 242 wh/m over a 4500 mile period and the new ones I'm going to double check tomorrow but I believe I'm still under 250wh/m. The 260wh/m number wasn't coming from my tire rotation distances it was just a 55 mile trip between charge cycles. Just looked at the wrong line.

Just got back from America's Tire with a new set of Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3 in 255/45/19. There happened to be an applicable $70 promo, plus the 5% discount for using their 0% financing, which brought the grand total out-the-door to $1299.17, including the tire protection certificates. The P7 AS Plus 3 has a 70K-mile treadwear warranty but I doubt I'll see that. Hopefully they'll get close to 50K miles. We will see...

I only drove 17 miles so far and need more time to evaluate ride quality. At slow speed out of the parking lot the tires felt softer and more comfortable, but once up to speed they didn't seem to smooth out bumps any better than the OEM tire. More immediately noticeable though is the improved turn-in and grip. Even on fresh tires there was less delay during lane changes compared to the OEM tire. Also, there's this particular intersection near home that the OEM ProContact RX always understeers through on left turns. With the new Pirellis there wasn't any understeer and I was able to maintain a smoother arc through the intersection.

I am still curious to see if the ride quality will improve. It certainly isn't any worse than the OEM tire, but I expected a cushier ride based on past experience with the P7 AS Plus 1. However the P7 AS Plus 1 on the Model S had a load rating of only 98 versus 104 required for the Model Y, so maybe that has something to do with it.

And of course, the efficiency question! After 21,666 miles on the OEM ProContact RX we averaged 256 Wh/m. With only 17 miles on the P7 AS Plus 3 the tires averaged 279 Wh/m so far, so about a 9% penalty. However, the P7 are still very new and the OEM tires averaged 289 Wh/m the first four days of ownership last year (after ~185 miles). We drive an average of 60 miles a day and will break-in the tires real quick and report back soon with more efficiency numbers.
Just updating some more efficiency results. I drove our daughter’s friend home this evening and averaged 239 Wh/m on the 27-mile roundtrip, and at 82 degrees F. When the Pirellis were put on earlier today it was 100 degrees outside. So total efficiency on day one of the P7 AS Plus 3 is 255 Wh/m across 44 total miles, versus our 256 Wh/m lifetime average on stock tires. I fully expect the Pirellis to get more efficient as the tires break in more. Still not noticing a ride quality improvement yet, no worse but no better either than the ProContact RX at 42 PSI.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pacernow
Just updating some more efficiency results. I drove our daughter’s friend home this evening and averaged 239 Wh/m on the 27-mile roundtrip, and at 82 degrees F. When the Pirellis were put on earlier today it was 100 degrees outside. So total efficiency on day one of the P7 AS Plus 3 is 255 Wh/m across 44 total miles, versus our 256 Wh/m lifetime average on stock tires. I fully expect the Pirellis to get more efficient as the tires break in more. Still not noticing a ride quality improvement yet, no worse but no better either than the ProContact RX at 42 PSI.
I noticed efficiency day one of the new tires was a bit lower too. Now that mine broke in they are doing really good. I also had the guys at work dial in my alignment which helped too. I've heard lots of good things about the Pirellis and those were second on my list. I wanted more agressive tires for Minnesota winter though.

Reactions: FatherTo1
Correction I double checked the picture I took before I changed the tires. Original tires in summer I was getting 242 wh/m over a 4500 mile period and the new ones I'm going to double check tomorrow but I believe I'm still under 250wh/m. The 260wh/m number wasn't coming from my tire rotation distances it was just a 55 mile trip between charge cycles. Just looked at the wrong line.
Just checked and with 3000miles on the tires I'm sitting at 271wh/m most of which has been all highway at 70mph so a bit higher speed than normal. Still pretty good

Reactions: FatherTo1
Day 2, drove another 40 miles on the Pirelli P7 AS Plus 3. Efficiency today wasn’t too good at 295 Wh/m but it was also 102 degrees today. Better news is the ride quality was noticeably better today.

Going over familiar routes with broken pavement, potholes, sunken manhole covers, and railroad tracks, the tires definitely dampened the harsh impacts better than the ProContact RX. I would say the Pirellis at 42 PSI ride better than the OEM tires at 38 PSI, while also providing better steering response and grip. Need more miles to evaluate overall efficiency.

Day 4 follow-up. Pretty similar efficiency numbers for the first four days between OEM tire versus P7 AS Plus 3. I might even give the edge to the Pirellis since these past four days have been hotter than the same period last year, with today registering 106 degrees while I was driving!

The Pirellis provide a more compliant ride while also offering more grip and better handling. I hear the motor whine and wind noise more than before, so I don’t know if that indirectly means there’s less tire noise than the OEM tire. Overall I’m very happy with the P7 AS Plus 3. It is basically an improvement across the board over the OEM tire and the Pirellis cost considerably less too. Plus, the Pirelli has a longer tread wear warranty!

New ProContact RX August 2021:
56F790DE-D0C5-4008-9CD6-FA24B720FC99.jpeg

New Pirellis August 2022:
A5E01FE1-60EB-4112-AC6E-8D4CCEDC1927.jpeg

Last edited: