Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement Tires for 19" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems a little better, maybe the same minor but need improvement the coilovers gave.

Attachments

• IMG20220824190326.jpg
    IMG20220824190326.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG20220823173006.jpg
    IMG20220823173006.jpg
    752.7 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG20220823171245.jpg
    IMG20220823171245.jpg
    596.4 KB · Views: 157
Reactions: DrGriz
Ugh: The great unknown about tires. Noise at 15k miles? We're the real-world beta testers for all these manufacturers. So many unknowns.

Early Pirelli DWS06 on my VAG cars 2016 Passat, 2009 Jetta Sportwagon were exceptional early on, but at 15k miles, noise started rising. Always with 5k rotations, proper alignment. I had similar issues with Goodyear Eagle GT tires on a Jetta sedan.

Enjoying the exploration, lots of experiences, ideas. Thanks for continuing to post!

Last edited:
Been going back and forth on replacement tires. 28K and the Conti’s are worn. Have not loved the OEM tires, especially for winter. Seems that each possibility has pluses and negatives. In the end, I am going with Vredestein Quatrac Pros. A local shop is able to get them for $225 which seems a good deal. Certainly I will check in after some time running the new shoes.

Reactions: DrGriz and TheLex
I had my second tire rotation last week, at a bit over 20k miles. Tech said I was at 6/32 all the way around and based on my current wear, should be good for another 10k. Hoping we don't have a rough winter this year....! Pretty pleased with the wear as I expect to only get about 20k on them, based on what I had read (weight, power).

Reactions: e645824
Day 4 follow-up. Pretty similar efficiency numbers for the first four days between OEM tire versus P7 AS Plus 3. I might even give the edge to the Pirellis since these past four days have been hotter than the same period last year, with today registering 106 degrees while I was driving!

The Pirellis provide a more compliant ride while also offering more grip and better handling. I hear the motor whine and wind noise more than before, so I don’t know if that indirectly means there’s less tire noise than the OEM tire. Overall I’m very happy with the P7 AS Plus 3. It is basically an improvement across the board over the OEM tire and the Pirellis cost considerably less too. Plus, the Pirelli has a longer tread wear warranty!

New ProContact RX August 2021:
View attachment 841793

New Pirellis August 2022:
View attachment 841794
It has been about three weeks on the P7 AS Plus 3. I love the quiet ride and handling. Efficiency has taken a 14% hit but I attribute a big portion of the loss to our extreme heat these past two weeks. I don’t think it’s fair to draw a conclusion on efficiency just yet when it reaches 100 degrees by 11am and today I was driving in 118 degree weather. Even driving home at 7pm it was 110 degrees and still 108 as I write this post close to 8pm. I am pretty sure last year wasn’t this hot during the same period. The OEM ProContacts averaged 262 Wh/m at 1750 miles while the P7 AS Plus 3 is at 299 Wh/m after 1750 miles.

Our heat wave will finally snap this weekend and return to more seasonal temps. Running the AC so much to cool the cabin and the battery has caused my daily average to peak 100 Wh/m more than usual, about as bad as the hit in really cold weather. At this rate my real-world range is only 175 miles on a full charge and that’s at least 100 miles less than my normal real range. This heat wave across the western States has been brutal!

I will report back at the 5K mile mark for a better comparison. Based on a few morning commutes to school, the P7s are very close to the OEM in efficiency with a loss of around 5%. I need more miles and better weather to get a more accurate picture of efficiency but I love everything else about the P7 AS Plus 3.

3E1BF5CF-A762-4BF7-B7B5-40A0C3728EB3.jpeg

957EE705-7676-42F0-B1D0-DF2BF0D08F0D.jpeg

Last edited:
Several hundred miles on new Vredestein Quatrac Pros and only minor changes in efficiency. Also has been warm here and these are mostly highway miles.

I suspect that they will only improve as break in period continues, temperatures moderate and I have more balance between highway/non highway travel.

Beyond this, I’d say they are softer, especially over bigger bumps. Slight increase in road noise, but seems like this reflects the new tire grip. I suspect this will improve as well.

I had my second tire rotation last week, at a bit over 20k miles. Tech said I was at 6/32 all the way around and based on my current wear, should be good for another 10k. Hoping we don't have a rough winter this year....! Pretty pleased with the wear as I expect to only get about 20k on them, based on what I had read (weight, power).

I just had my OEM's rotated at 20k also. I have 5/32 left. I drive over a 1000-foot mountain peak every day for commuting. Central Valley California, so we see the heat. 118 degrees last week.

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

I presently have the OEM 255/45R19 on the Geminis. But I want a softer ride so will upgrade to 50 (taller sidewall) when I get to 30-35k miles. Likewise, I'd like to avoid curb rash on the rims so am considering 265/50R19 Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 on my 2021 MYLR. According to Pirelli, these will fit on 9.5 rims (Gemini).

Does anyone have any experience with 265/50R19 clearance and ride quality?

Thanks,

Scott

1663546412847.png

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

I presently have the OEM 255/45R19 on the Geminis. But I want a softer ride so will upgrade to 50 (taller sidewall) when I get to 30-35k miles. Likewise, I'd like to avoid curb rash on the rims so am considering 265/50R19 Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3 on my 2021 MYLR. According to Pirelli, these will fit on 9.5 rims (Gemini).

Does anyone have any experience with 265/50R19 clearance and ride quality?

Thanks,

Scott

View attachment 854100

--

Oh man, you’d be pushing the limit with that. My guess would be some rub with stock gemini wheels. Im running 275/45r19 on stock gemini and theres no rub but my diameter is only 28.7inches whereas yours would be 29.4inches.

There has to be something besides the change to the Electric Drive GT tires causing that much of an increase in consumption. Perhaps there is a stuck brake caliper. Did you have an alignment done when you installed the Electric Drive GT tires?

Winter tires would yield better efficiency than 357 Wh/mi when it was at 295 Wh/mi with the OE tires.

There has to be something besides the change to the Electric Drive GT tires causing that much of an increase in consumption. Perhaps there is a stuck brake caliper. Did you have an alignment done when you installed the Electric Drive GT tires?

Winter tires would yield better efficiency than 357 Wh/mi when it was at 295 Wh/mi with the OE tires.
I did alignment after i had tires put on(1st alignment done on car)