Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement Tires for 19" wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really hard to get efficiency, comfort, good traction and long life all in the same tire.
Tires are all full of compromises. We all want a tire that gets great traction on dry pavement. And wet pavement. and in snow. And is quiet. And is comfortable. And is really efficient. and wears forever. Most of these desires are contradictory so the manufacturers are forced to compromise in one area or another. Better materials can help, as can different tread patterns but there's only so much they can do.

Reactions: Joe Schmoe88
Tires are all full of compromises. We all want a tire that gets great traction on dry pavement. And wet pavement. and in snow. And is quiet. And is comfortable. And is really efficient. and wears forever. Most of these desires are contradictory so the manufacturers are forced to compromise in one area or another. Better materials can help, as can different tread patterns but there's only so much they can do.
I forgot "cheap"!

I'll trade Efficency for Good traction every day, all day. I can charge more often or a little bit longer, but if I have to make an emergency maneuver. Theres' no getting back those couple of extra feet you needed to avoid an accident.
Totally agree. After 34k miles of focusing on efficiency, and 5 serious road trips, I've concluded that "range" just isn't critical, as long as you are traveling on routes with Superchargers. Yes, charging more often, and longer, isn't as convenient as road tripping with an ICE, but the trade-offs, in my opinion, are well worth it.

Better traction with a more supple ride is a win for me. Of course, YMMV!!!

I'll trade Efficency for Good traction every day, all day. I can charge more often or a little bit longer, but if I have to make an emergency maneuver. Theres' no getting back those couple of extra feet you needed to avoid an accident.
Careful what you wish for - it's quite possible to cut your maximum range by 50% with a different tire. I think what you mean is "I'll gladly take a minor hit in efficiency for better traction"

Careful what you wish for - it's quite possible to cut your maximum range by 50% with a different tire. I think what you mean is "I'll gladly take a minor hit in efficiency for better traction"
LOL You are so right, I can run the PS4S as summer tires and not take anywhere near that kind of hit in range. I haven't heard of anything that would hit range at 50%. Do you have an example. Because I wouldn't want to recommend that to anyone.

• Funny
Reactions: MY-Y
LOL You are so right, I can run the PS4S as summer tires and not take anywhere near that kind of hit in range. I haven't heard of anything that would hit range at 50%. Do you have an example. Because I wouldn't want to recommend that to anyone.
1665025866809.png

I would look up reviews of the following tires in size 255/45R-19

Michelin Pilot Sport 4 Season Ultra High Performance All-Season

Vredestein Quatrac Pro Grand Touring All Season tires.

Tirerack.com
I have the Vredestein Quatrac Pro I can't tell you the number of miles but I got them 3/21 and need to replace them since both fronts are bald on the inside. Likely more of an alignment problem then tire, but this will be the 3rd set of summer tires since 6/20. I will put my winter set on I have Vredestein Wintrac for the winter since I couldn't get a set of Nokian Hakkapalita before the snow started to fall. Seems like way to much tire ware.

I have the Vredestein Quatrac Pro I can't tell you the number of miles but I got them 3/21 and need to replace them since both fronts are bald on the inside. Likely more of an alignment problem then tire, but this will be the 3rd set of summer tires since 6/20. I will put my winter set on I have Vredestein Wintrac for the winter since I couldn't get a set of Nokian Hakkapalita before the snow started to fall. Seems like way to much tire ware.
The off second and third tier brands are strong with this one.

Budweiser is still tier 1. Also Michelin isn't budweiser.
You must set tiers by quantity not quality. Alrighty then.

If you had the actual real lifechanging risk modifying need for snow tires, you'd be considering Nokians. Sliding into the borrow pit or through stop signs is not a desirable state.

Where I happen to be, I have Michelin M/S tires for my summer winter tires, and Nokians for my winter winter tires. Because it's worth it.

Last edited:
Budweiser is still tier 1. Also Michelin isn't budweiser.
  1. Remind me not to go out for a beer with you.
  2. Don’t confuse quantity with quality. Neither is necessarily related or indicative of the other
  3. Always remember that no matter how much you know, what you know is dwarfed by what you don‘t know and it’s best to approach the unknown with curiosity before judging.

You must set tiers by quantity not quality. Alrighty then.

If you had the actual real lifechanging risk modifying need for snow tires, you'd be considering Nokians. Sliding into the borrow pit or through stop signs is not a desirable state.

Where I happen to be, I have Michelin M/S tires for my summer winter tires, and Nokians for my winter winter tires. Because it's worth it.
Of course tiers are set by quantity.
If I was in deep snow, I'd have chains. Snow tires are questionable in deep snow, as is every Tesla.
Why would you have M/S when you also have snow tires? You should have summer and snow if maximum performance matters to you.
  1. Remind me not to go out for a beer with you.
  2. Don’t confuse quantity with quality. Neither is necessarily related or indicative of the other
  3. Always remember that no matter how much you know, what you know is dwarfed by what you don‘t know and it’s best to approach the unknown with curiosity before judging.
1. Wasn't ever an option.
2. I didn't. You did. Also, are you saying that Michelin is low quality?
3. Thanks for the life advice. Perhaps you should also follow your own advice?

Of course tiers are set by quantity.
If I was in deep snow, I'd have chains. Snow tires are questionable in deep snow, as is every Tesla.
Why would you have M/S when you also have snow tires? You should have summer and snow if maximum performance matters to you.
I think one can tier quality as well as quantity. I was just confirming that you chose the latter.

We don't just have snow tires for deep snow. We also need them on ice, black ice, slush, hard snow floor, soft snow floor, packed snow floor, unpacked snow floor and everything in between. Also, we get deep powder as well as deep heavy snow. We drive on snow floor full time 5 months of the year, and it's possible to drive on snow or ice the rest of the months.

Teslas are fine, even great in the snow. You need to read more about that. I don't know where you got the idea they are not. That said, after snow tires, we got a 1.75 inch lift kit for our model Y and that makes me feel better, although we didn't have a problem before that. I know from decades of experience we need 8 inches clearance to not worry about getting stuck on our unpaved mile long road.

I'm guessing you don't live where it snows. I have never lived where it doesn't. I wonder what it's like. 🤔

Reactions: sleepydoc