Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went into my Discount Tire to get my tires rotated (as I have been doing frequently). They had informed me that they don't need to rotate them and would recommend getting new tires. I just got the car 1 year ago and have only put 22k miles on the stock tires.

They suggested 2 tires. The Michelin CrossClimate 2 tires, and the Nokian Encompass AW01 tires.

A lot of people say that the Cross Climate tires are good, but I don't see a lot of info on the Nokian ones. The Nokian tires have decent reviews on Discount Tires website and say they have a 60k mile warranty.

I really hope that I am not replacing my tires every year. If that is the case, I want to get more budget friendly tires (which in this case would be the Encompass AW01 tires).

I live in NW Arkansas, so we don't see a lot of snow here. Even when we do get snow, I don't drive in it at all. I am mainly concerned with wet weather performance and tread life.

Every time I talk to the people at Discount Tire, they seem to push the CrossClimate 2's.

What is everyone's experience with Nokian tires?

You can definitely get tires that will last longer than the factory tires, but range will suffer. Don't buy the tire a store is pushing, they have different motivations than you! Is range an important issue to you or not? Do you can about grip/performance? Or is tire life the main thing you want to address?

Also if you haven't already, check that the car is aligned perfectly, that helps tire life a lot.

Reactions: makirules
You can definitely get tires that will last longer than the factory tires, but range will suffer. Don't buy the tire a store is pushing, they have different motivations than you! Is range an important issue to you or not? Do you can about grip/performance? Or is tire life the main thing you want to address?

Also if you haven't already, check that the car is aligned perfectly, that helps tire life a lot.
Thank you. I am trying really hard not to buy what the store is pushing. Range is semi important to me. I don't drive that much, but I am taking a long trip right after I get new tires. Grip is nice for when I speed around curves, but I do want to make these last longer haha.

The Cross Climates are at least one of the best all weather WINTER tires. That certainly is not your priority. Since your priority is mileage, do some research on the Nokian One. Issue will be if they are available or not. Nokians have an excellent reputation mainly based on their Winter tires as they are made in a Nordic country.

Reactions: makirules
I'm also in NW Arkansas and am in need of new tires after getting roughly 10k miles out of my Pirelli P Zero PZ4s I got in July 2021. I'm going to the Fayetteville Discount tomorrow to see about some Toyo Proxes Sport A/S tires. I've read they're a great "budget" tire for my Y.

I got these from tire rack a year ago. I choose them based on reviews that said they were quieter, but they were not. They are fine and one advantage is that they stick out a bit and prevent curb rash. Been on for 23k miles and tread is at 5/32nds.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220701-174457_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20220701-174457_Gmail.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 260
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I just purchased the Nokian One tires for our M3 LR AWD with 18" Aero wheels and installed them last week. After about 500 miles (its very early) I like the tires but, the energy used is a bit more than before. In over 25,000 miles, I used 240 wh/mile. So far, I am using almost 260 wh/mile. Note that the old tires were down to 3-4/32" of tread left so the resistance was pretty low. Will see how it goes later in the summer when we take a 2,000+ mile roadtrip.

Given you don't drive in snow, but still want to be able to drive safely in cold wet weather, your 2 best choices are:

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires, or Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus

Some detailed comparisons of the two here- I think the Contis are slightly more what you want though... (also they have a 50k warranty, vs 45k on the Michelins)

Efficiency will be worse than OEM MXM4s-- but braking distance (and handling) will be a ton better and that's a trade I'd make all day every day.

I have those Nokians. I believe they are a discount tire exclusive model. So far they've been excellent for the price. Great in snow, good ride quality, dry handling is kind of meh, but I don't really push them. They do have some road hum compared to the stock Michelins.

I personally feel if you're never going to drive in the snow, your money would be wasted on the Nokian Encompass or the Michelin CrossClimates. Both have the mountain snowflake symbol and will have softer tread and sloppier handling than other non-snow-focused all seasons. Just my $.02

Nokians have an excellent reputation mainly based on their Winter tires as they are made in a Nordic country.
Didn't know that Russia was a Nordic country, although Nokian is in the process of moving manufacturing out of Russia where it made 80% of its tires in 2021.