Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement tires for Sport PS2's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tire Rack has had Pilot PS2's on back order for months. Service center luckily had one but I'm wondering what other tires people are considering for P85+ with staggered tires when we need a whole new set it if the Michelins aren't available?

Discount tire had the same issue. I was told the Service Centers always make sure they have some way to get some. When I checked it was over the summer, I was told at the time that they were reformulating the tires. It makes me wonder if that was true or it was a low demand issue.

Discount tire had the same issue. I was told the Service Centers always make sure they have some way to get some. When I checked it was over the summer, I was told at the time that they were reformulating the tires. It makes me wonder if that was true or it was a low demand issue.
Tires are typically produced before the demand period for that particular tire. For example, winter tires are ordered (by tire retailers) between May and July, and manufactured in September and October. Low volume sizes are produced after the high volume tires (as factory resources free up). A few tires are kept by the manufacturer for "adjustment" purposes, so you should always be able to get a single replacement tire should one be destroyed. The moral here is that if you require a low volume size, you often need to order well in advance.

The PS2 245/21 "waste", at Tesla SC's, is nothing short of impressive. You add the pitfalls of rear P85 wear, running a staggered setup, and the brand switching this manufacturing shortage forces, and these fronts just stack up.