Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement USB cables for center console?

cduzz

Jun 6, 2019
boston ma
I'm a little disappointed with myself for not being able to find an answer to this and having to ask but ... I googled and such but didn't find any obvious answers.

Are there reasonable replacement "microUSB" and "usb C" cables available from monoprice of amazon? If so would you care to share a link to one?

On my car the USB power comes on and off every second; I tested with another cable and it "works" as expected so I think the cable's broken. Also I'm thinking of switching to a phone with USB C and if I do I'd need to swap out the cable.

cduzz

Jun 6, 2019
boston ma
unless its broken, like the one you had, there is no specific answer to this question. any cable will work.

Yes, any cable will work but I'd like one that's got the correct right-angle connectors on the rectangle USB side, and one that's as short as possible but not too short on the phone-end, and I'm not sure if there is an advantage or not to having the phone-end be a right-angle as well, in which case that end may also need to be the correct 90 degree angle.

Or, equally likely (more likely) I don't know what I'm talking about.

BZM3

Aug 15, 2019
Somewhere
Yes, any cable will work but I'd like one that's got the correct right-angle connectors on the rectangle USB side, and one that's as short as possible but not too short on the phone-end, and I'm not sure if there is an advantage or not to having the phone-end be a right-angle as well, in which case that end may also need to be the correct 90 degree angle.

Or, equally likely (more likely) I don't know what I'm talking about.
best you could probably do is just search on google or amazon for the size and shape you are looking for, there are tons of options. There aren't really any "technical" specs you should be looking out for.

cduzz

Jun 6, 2019
boston ma
Brought some of my zoo of USB cables to visit my console.

Found a single one that sorta worked in the captive / phone side, but it doesn't have a right-angle connector and is too short.

I'll look around for alternatives; I'm surprised that I'm the first to search for a monoprice / amazon product to fit into this use, but will seek to find a replacement.

BZM3

Aug 15, 2019
Somewhere
I would look into the variety of phone chargers, wireless or plugged, specifically designed for your phones use in the model 3.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC