Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacement wiper blades

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else notice the poor quality of the wiper blades on their model S? As per other forum threads I am thinking of replacing with Bosch wipers. Not sure if they are available in HK otherwise I will order from Amazon. 28 and 18OE are the ones to buy. I assume LHD and RHD cars are the same when it comes to wiper sizes.

I found out this is a known problem when I took my car in to have a few minor delivery issues corrected. I mentioned the wipers in passing, which were making a noise as they changed direction at the top of their sweep and didn't seem to clean the screen too well. The service manager told me that the factory have recently changed wiper suppliers to Bosch. He could change my blades under warranty if I was really unhappy, so I became unhappy!
Problem solved, noises gone and perfect cleaning.
I hope this helps.

I found out this is a known problem when I took my car in to have a few minor delivery issues corrected. I mentioned the wipers in passing, which were making a noise as they changed direction at the top of their sweep and didn't seem to clean the screen too well. The service manager told me that the factory have recently changed wiper suppliers to Bosch. He could change my blades under warranty if I was really unhappy, so I became unhappy!
Problem solved, noises gone and perfect cleaning.
I hope this helps.
Hi, Afdyce, thanks for the info. I've seen from forum posts that Tesla changed the supplier in October or November time-frame. I received the car in September so that may be why mine is not good. Will try the SC early next year!

I don't have any issues with the stock wipers, yet I intend to apply Rain Kleer or Rain-X as soon as I can get my hands on some. Apart from very low speeds, this treatment means you don't even have to use wiper blades. The rain will "pellet" on the screen, rather than flowing flat, and it is easy to look through the droplets, especially at speeds over ~40 km/h.

You can make this yourself

Homemade Windshield Water Repellent | eHow

or you can try to find it in shops (good luck in Hong Kong!). I know for sure it is available in Japan. Only downside is I don't understand Japanese, and when I bought something there last week it turned out to be glass cleaner, rather than rain repellant.

I have used this solution on my cars since around 1995, with great results. It needs re-application every 2-3 months, and the less you use wipers or wash your car, the longer it lasts.

I don't have any issues with the stock wipers, yet I intend to apply Rain Kleer or Rain-X as soon as I can get my hands on some. Apart from very low speeds, this treatment means you don't even have to use wiper blades. The rain will "pellet" on the screen, rather than flowing flat, and it is easy to look through the droplets, especially at speeds over ~40 km/h.

You can make this yourself

Homemade Windshield Water Repellent | eHow

or you can try to find it in shops (good luck in Hong Kong!). I know for sure it is available in Japan. Only downside is I don't understand Japanese, and when I bought something there last week it turned out to be glass cleaner, rather than rain repellant.

I have used this solution on my cars since around 1995, with great results. It needs re-application every 2-3 months, and the less you use wipers or wash your car, the longer it lasts.
Super Rain X is the most major brand here in Japan.
スーパーレインX レインXã®å•†å“紹介 錦之堂
The products in top row are all coating to repel rain, bottom row are cleaners. You can tell by bottle shape.

The blades that came with the car are terrible, leaving a smear mark on the windscreen all the time. I believe the U.S. has the same prob and Tesla replaced them?

yes, same problem since Tesla replaced them!

just bought a pair of Bosch last night for drivers side- Waaay better, the down stroke is clean now!

- - - Updated - - -

If your wiper blades say Bosch in 3 places on each blade, they are the new replacements which are Bosch Icons. IMO they are the best blades on the market. The retail at most auto parts stores is about $45 for both.

didn't realize Tesla upgraded!, my car was serviced in October and I got junk blades that were worse than the last years blades!

Super Rain X is the most major brand here in Japan.
スーパーレインX レインXã®å•†å“紹介 錦之å*‚
The products in top row are all coating to repel rain, bottom row are cleaners. You can tell by bottle shape.

I got a different brand, but the cleaner as there wasn't a single word on there apart from Japanese (and I don't understand any Japanese at all).

Guess I have to go back to Japan (or Europe) again!

Regarding the blades, I haven't had problems so far but still miss the rain kleer / rain-x. Anyone knows if it is available somewhere in Hong Kong? Normally, every product is available, but so hard to find!