TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Replacing 5 month old Key Fob battery has improved my Tesla

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by joninmelbourne, Mar 3, 2017.

1. joninmelbourne

joninmelbourne Solid Black S60 new face

Just replaced my key fob battery after only 5 months after some errors happening with Summon and occasionally not having door handle extend immediately.

The battery replacement has made Summon more reliable with less error messages and the doors now open as soon as I walk up to the doors. Maybe the once a year recommendation to change key fob batteries is too long on the Tesla as the fob communicates with the car a lot creating a big drain on a tiny watch battery. I bought a pack of five for $4 off eBay so will change every 6 months from now on I reckon. Anybody have similar experiences? Cheers

2. raynewman

raynewman Member

Same with me - I only use one fob. Might be OK for a year if the fobs are alternated.

3. Mark E

Mark E Member

You just reminded me that since my spare fob lives in my wife's bag and is never with me when the car has been serviced, its on the original battery! 2 years old now.

4. eclectricdave

eclectricdave Member

I got a message to replace mine too. I measured the cell voltage which was close to original so maybe it checks when the device is under load.

5. Bullet1

Bullet1 Electric - way of the future

I recently got the replace battery message at 6mths point. Swapped to spare fob. Thought there was something wrong but sounds like it common.

6. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

With no warning, mine went dead at ~7 months while I was away from home.
    While the phone app is handy, I prefer the fob and now keep spare batteries in the car.

7. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

I was thinking about this. I work with low power devices that do occasional transmission on schedule (pacemakers). To save battery these devices keep the radio off until the scheduled transmission time.

These fobs are essentially always running 24h, because they never know when you're going to be approaching your car. Must use battery quickly.

I'm going to replace mine. Hopefully will make boot unlock when approaching from behind.

8. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

Shucks, I am going to buy a ten pack and change mine every three months. My Model S will be twice as good as yours. :);)

• Funny x 1