Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing 50 amp breaker with 60 amp?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello guys, I have 60a breaker with NM-B 6/3 wired (didnt know this wire is for 50a breaker till recently).
after I found out the 6/3 wire is only for 50a breaker I've lower the charing amp to 40 or lower. my question is should I replace the 60a breaker to 50a since the wire is for a 50a breaker or its fine as long I lower the charing amp to 40 or lower.
Thank you

Hello guys, I have 60a breaker with NM-B 6/3 wired (didnt know this wire is for 50a breaker till recently).
after I found out the 6/3 wire is only for 50a breaker I've lower the charing amp to 40 or lower. my question is should I replace the 60a breaker to 50a since the wire is for a 50a breaker or its fine as long I lower the charing amp to 40 or lower.
Thank you
If the wire will only support a 50 amp breaker, then you should replace the existing 60 amp breaker with a 50.

If the wire will only support a 50 amp breaker, then you should replace the existing 60 amp breaker with a 50.
Technically the wiring itself is rated for 55A and per NEC rules a 60A breaker is acceptable in that scenario (assuming this is a hard wired device and not hooked up to a 14-50 or 6-50). The charger would still have to be limited to 44A or less to meet the 80% rule.

Reactions: MacO512 and GSP
Technically the wiring itself is rated for 55A and per NEC rules a 60A breaker is acceptable

There was a discussion on this subject, which I cannot locate at the moment, but as I recall you cannot use a 60-amp breaker with 55-amp wire unless the connected device is hardwired and will never draw more that 55-amps, so the Wall Connector cannot be set to 60-amps. As you will be setting it to 50-amps you need to use a 50-amp breaker.

• If installing for maximum power, use minimum 6 AWG, 90° C-rated copper wire for conductors
For maximum power output, install a standard double pole 60 amp circuit breaker. Wall Connector includes integrated GFCI protection - do not install a GFCI circuit breaker

my question is should I replace the 60a breaker to 50a since the wire is for a 50a breaker or its fine as long I lower the charing amp to 40 or lower.
Yes, you really should because you should have something pretty solid to enforce the right amp limit. So my second question comes to HOW are you lowering the amp limit? That setting where you can lower the amps from the touch screen in the car (or mobile app) is really not very reliable, so you shouldn't count on that. Reconfiguring a wall connector to a 50A circuit is much better, but you should still probably switch the breaker too.

Technically the wiring itself is rated for 55A and per NEC rules a 60A breaker is acceptable in that scenario (assuming this is a hard wired device and not hooked up to a 14-50 or 6-50). The charger would still have to be limited to 44A or less to meet the 80% rule.
Does that mean as long I keep it below 44a should be fine with the 60a breaker?
Thanks
If you can find a device that really lets you SET it for a 44A limit, then yes, that would be an appropriate thing, but it is extremely rare to find a car charging device that has a setting at that amount. And no, just turning it down to that level on the car's screen doesn't cut it. The cars can forget that setting and default back to max for a few reasons that aren't uncommon (GPS glitching, firmware updates, etc.).

Trying to fudge your way around these things just isn't a good idea. Fix the circuit to a 50A breaker to be correct all the way through.

Last edited:
is also normal while charging the car it has a slight noise came from the panel with that breaker, If I use 48a it will be little louder compare to 40a I have to put my whole head over i will still hear a little buzz sound. don't know replace the breakers will fix the issue. I have called an electrician he told me to change a new panel because my panel seems old should replace a new panel.

is also normal while charging the car it has a slight noise came from the panel with that breaker, If I use 48a it will be little louder compare to 40a I have to put my whole head over i will still hear a little buzz sound. don't know replace the breakers will fix the issue. I have called an electrician he told me to change a new panel because my panel seems old should replace a new panel.

If you are sure it is the charging breaker try this if you are comfortable doing so. Open the panel, trip the breaker and remove it. Gentle blow any dust out and reinstall the breaker. Then tighten the connections but do not close the breaker.

Open the Wall Connector and see if the connections can be tightened (likley). Put in back together, close the breaker and see what happens.

If you are sure it is the charging breaker try this if you are comfortable doing so. Open the panel, trip the breaker and remove it. Gentle blow any dust out and reinstall the breaker. Then tighten the connections but do not close the breaker.

Open the Wall Connector and see if the connections can be tightened (likley). Put in back together, close the breaker and see what happens.
Thanks man!!

I have called an electrician he told me to change a new panel because my panel seems old should replace a new panel.
Sigh.. another 'professional', probably advising totally unneeded work. 'seems old' just isn't a justification to change a panel for 1-2k(or subpanel for $500). The justification might be 'there are no new breakers available for this panel' or 'the bus bars are corroded'.

You most likely have a circuit breaker needing replacement, either the one directly feeding the charger or the main breaker(not possible, since your noise is in a subpanel and there shouldn't be a 'main' breaker inside the subpanel)

A new 50 amp duplex non-gfci breaker is usually $20-30.

Reactions: ATPMSD
Yes, you really should because you should have something pretty solid to enforce the right amp limit. So my second question comes to HOW are you lowering the amp limit? That setting where you can lower the amps from the touch screen in the car (or mobile app) is really not very reliable, so you shouldn't count on that. Reconfiguring a wall connector to a 50A circuit is much better, but you should still probably switch the breaker too.

If you can find a device that really lets you SET it for a 44A limit, then yes, that would be an appropriate thing, but it is extremely rare to find a car charging device that has a setting at that amount. And no, just turning it down to that level on the car's screen doesn't cut it. The cars can forget that setting and default back to max for a few reasons that aren't uncommon (GPS glitching, firmware updates, etc.).

Trying to fudge your way around these things just isn't a good idea. Fix the circuit to a 50A breaker to be correct all the way through.
If he has a wall connector set to 40A, why would a 60A breaker be not to code using 6AWG NM/B?

Reactions: rickybobbee

I thought I can set it to 40a in the wall connector and on the app.

If he has a wall connector set to 40A, why would a 60A breaker be not to code using 6AWG NM/B?

The breaker protects both the wire and “appliance.” In this case it should match the appliance rating. In the case of the Wall Connector if you set it to a 50-amp circuit, it will draw no more than 40-amps, but you use a 50-amp breaker since that is what the connector is set it to.