Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing 8ft wall charger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

When I purchased my wall charger this last August I didn't have an option to choose the length of the charging cable. There was no pulldown option to extend the 8ft cord to something longer. Now that I have it installed in my garage, it's become apparent that I need a longer cord to charge my model Y. Does anyone know if cables can be switched out and replaced with longer cords? If so, where can I find a 18ft cord that'll work with the charger.

Thanks in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: JTaylor360
Hi Everyone,

When I purchased my wall charger this last August I didn't have an option to choose the length of the charging cable. There was no pulldown option to extend the 8ft cord to something longer. Now that I have it installed in my garage, it's become apparent that I need a longer cord to charge my model Y. Does anyone know if cables can be switched out and replaced with longer cords? If so, where can I find a 18ft cord that'll work with the charger.

Thanks in advance. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Give tesla a call. They might just swap the entire unit.

Aside from that, the cords are very easy to swap but they aren't available for purchase. I think 18' units are fairly common on ebay, and there are probably still SOME people who want the 8' ones, especially if they are new.

Another method, if it happens to be a -F model numbered unit, is to install it and hope it overheats or otherwise malfunctions and tesla replaces the entire unit as a result. I understand they are only sending out 24' swaps.