Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing a cracked tail light ... options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sooo...a ladder fell over in the garage (lesson learned!) and cracked a tail light. I haven‘t taken it apart yet, so I‘m not sure if I can replace just the lens or if I need to buy the light unit...I‘d prefer to do the work myself, if I can.

My local Tesla dealer isn‘t returning calls about how to replace a tail light, and the Forums here seem to contain only upgrades like the Bespoke51 tail lights, which seem a bit pricey (they quoted $875!) ... unless the originals are also pricy.

Any recommendations on where to buy a replacement?

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

• 2D5EC90F-4C8D-4F23-B28F-76C6BB6D063D.jpeg
    2D5EC90F-4C8D-4F23-B28F-76C6BB6D063D.jpeg
    251.7 KB · Views: 311
I was quoted $1,600 for a pair of new taillights from Tesla. I passed. Gruber has some used ones for less than that. I can provide you with surrounds in carbon fiber, but I have no lenses. The lenses are easy to replace once you remove the taillights. The lenses were made special for Tesla by Perei. I don't know if you can order just the lenses directly from them.

• Helpful
Reactions: dhrivnak and Story
Is the center flat? Maybe you can carefully dremel out the center piece and shape a piece of Plexiglas to glue in. I'm not sure how those are constructed but it looks like the center is a plain sheet of plastic. If it's curved you may still be able to shape a piece of Plexiglas with heat.

Reactions: Story
OK, the news is ... they can order an individual lens, for $815 (!!)

I‘m now back to considering the Bespoke51 tail light set, which they say is $875.

I have a bit of time now that California summer has arrived (no rain coming anytime soon) but either option will likely take at least a month to get parts after ordering.

(On the other end of the spectrum, my MicroMirror shipped next day and arrived in just a few days. Looks great.)

Dave

OK, the news is ... they can order an individual lens, for $815 (!!)

I‘m now back to considering the Bespoke51 tail light set, which they say is $875.

I have a bit of time now that California summer has arrived (no rain coming anytime soon) but either option will likely take at least a month to get parts after ordering.

(On the other end of the spectrum, my MicroMirror shipped next day and arrived in just a few days. Looks great.)

Dave

Quick update — on clarification, it seems to match what @hcsharp said - the $815 gets you a complete tail-light set (one side), not just a lens.