Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing a Model 3 front windscreen due to a failed chip repair...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

A couple of weeks ago while driving something bumped into the front windscreen of our Model 3 and created a chip. It's not big, less than the size of a 20-cent coin, and might be a 10-cent coin. I brought it to O'Brien Autoglass. They said they need to open the chip a bit in order to repair it. They were frank about the possibility of it cracking, which will make it unrepairable and needs to be replaced.

As fate has it, it did crack. The photo above is the after, and the photo below is the before. As you can see, there are some long spikes from the attempted repair.

I'm wondering what I should do. Should I go to my insurance company (AAMI) and get it fixed now? Or should I wait and see how it develops and get it fixed towards the end of this insurance policy (another 10 months to go)?

With my infinite wisdom, I did buy the windsceen cover when I bought the policy. I wonder whether this repair comes at no excess because of that.

What do you think? Cheers!

2020-02-08 12.48.08.jpg
2020-01-11 12.05.35.jpg

Does O'Brien Autoglass replace Tesla windscreens? When I called into O'Brien at Camberwell they weren't even going to look at the stone pit in my windscreen. They told me they would not touch Tesla glass because Telsa would not supply them with windscreens. In the end they did look at the damage & said it was so minor it was not even worth repairing.

Does O'Brien Autoglass replace Tesla windscreens? When I called into O'Brien at Camberwell they weren't even going to look at the stone pit in my windscreen. They told me they would not touch Tesla glass because Telsa would not supply them with windscreens. In the end they did look at the damage & said it was so minor it was not even worth repairing.

fairly certain it’s a NO. Only Tesla does windscreen repairs with a dedicated team as they need to calibrate the sensors for autopilot after installation.

My chip is at the centre bottom of the windscreen, and the O'Brien person said because of its position, it's more likely to become larger.

The Model 3 windscreens seem very soft. Also, the low profile of the car is just asking for damage. Always carry a repair kit in the glove box so you can apply resin immediately to help stop cracks running. I already have had one screen replaced and filled a chip with resin on the second screen. Only have 6,500 kms on the ODO

• Informative
Reactions: siuol