TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Replacing after market tint on a Model S affecting rear defroster?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by harryj, Aug 6, 2018.

1. harryj

harryj Member

I have a 5 month old Model S that i recently got tinted. I had ask for a 50% ceramic and after a lot of convincing by the tint installer, ended up going with 35%. After seeing the car with 35% I immediately told them it was too dark and made an appointment to have them take it off and replace it with my original 50%. This appointment is coming up soon but they warned me there is a chance that removing the tint will remove the defroster lines in the rear hatch.

Has anyone had experience with this happening? If so, I may just bite the bullet and keep my darker tint. I essentially only care about the tint for heat and UV rejecting so 50% is perfect for me (just a tiny bit of reflection and darkening of windows).

tl;dr - does removing tint from a tesla remove the defroster lines in the model s rear hatch?

2. electricar

electricar Member

Done properly removing the tint will cause no problem ( old degraded tint and tint that is peeling at the edges has to removed all the time to be replaced; my tint has a lifetime warranty and several windows have had the tint replaced ) - you might get a second opinion from another installer.

3. SSedan

SSedan Member

They are probably just covering their butt just in case it is damaged.

Kind of like the tire installer told me they might scratch a wheel installing tires, always a chance and best to warn first.