Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing cabin filter (non-hepa) in newer model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2018 MS purchased last July. I started getting a musty smell when I turned on the AC, that would dissipate after running the AC for a while. I decided to change my non-hepa cabin filter, the youtube videos made it look pretty easy. I got it all apart and my car does not look like even the most recent youtube videos I could find for a refresh facelift MS. There was an extra cowling that I had to remove, and I could see and touch the filter, but I could see no way that it could fit out of the opening from the frunk area. It seems like it has to come out from the cabin side. I'm guessing the glovebox needs to be removed but I didn't see an obvious way to do that. Has anyone done this on a mid-2018 or newer?

Also, what are those little plastic button securing devices called? The ones that secure some of the plastic covers. I almost lost one that fell down into the bowels of the car, but I was able to fish it out.

Not sure about the filter change. The musty smell is not an issue with the filter but water staying in the air duct and starting to get moldy. Living in a hot climate I use my AC all the time and i never in 5 years have noticed that musty smell. I had this issue with older cars but I think Tesla has a proper drain system or whatever to prevent water from being left behind. If you have that issue maybe the drain system is blocked.