Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing Dark Ash Interior Trim

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I received my 2019 Standard Range MS a couple of weeks ago and I want to replace the Dark Ash Interior Trim as I don’t care for the design. Unfortunately, my vinyl guy who is doing my Chrome Delete said the Carbon Fiber Vinyl isn’t sticking because of the raised materials of the Dark Ash.

Any other options out there for me? I see I can buy older car’s trim kits on EBay. Did the part #’s change from older models to 2019? I am open to Carbon Fiber or Obeche Matte.

I did that, replaced my gloss obeche wood decor in my pre facelift rwd 14 MS to a matte obeche wood from awd 17 MS, took me about an hour and half. Very easy to do, just do it very slowly and follow the online instructions, if you don't abuse it there is pretty much nothing to break.
I believe all of them are the same, nothing changed there, the only difference is that some came with yachfloor, some didn't (newers ones)
It is a fun project tbh, I was scared to break something, but it was easier than I expected

Few videos that might help you.

I did that, replaced my gloss obeche wood decor in my pre facelift rwd 14 MS to a matte obeche wood from awd 17 MS, took me about an hour and half. Very easy to do, just do it very slowly and follow the online instructions, if you don't abuse it there is pretty much nothing to break.
I believe all of them are the same, nothing changed there, the only difference is that some came with yachfloor, some didn't (newers ones)
It is a fun project tbh, I was scared to break something, but it was easier than I expected

Few videos that might help you.

Thanks. I see some eBay auctions where it says 2012-2016, 2012-2018, so I was wondering what changed.

Thanks. I see some eBay auctions where it says 2012-2016, 2012-2018, so I was wondering what changed.
most likely nothing, some sellers just don't care what year... but wait for someone else to reply, I don't want you to buy a new trim and turns out they don't work lol
it also might be due to the fact that tesla stopped using yachfloors around 2016 and started using center console storage instead, so it makes sense, 2012-2016 no center console, I guess depends on what you buying

Reactions: mbhforum
I received my 2019 Standard Range MS a couple of weeks ago and I want to replace the Dark Ash Interior Trim as I don’t care for the design. Unfortunately, my vinyl guy who is doing my Chrome Delete said the Carbon Fiber Vinyl isn’t sticking because of the raised materials of the Dark Ash.

Any other options out there for me? I see I can buy older car’s trim kits on EBay. Did the part #’s change from older models to 2019? I am open to Carbon Fiber or Obeche Matte.
A Tesla approved body shop can order the carbon fiber trim and switch it out. And a Tesla sales advisor told me a few months ago that the store's service department would also do this for me.

I got a quote a $2200 to replace the trim from an authorized body shop with parts included. Yikes.

I've got the same car on order right now and have been trying to figure out what to do as well. I wasn't aware that the texture would cause a problem with 3M which is a major bummer as my brother owns a wrapping company and was going to install some white carbon fiber for me.

Be sure to give an update on what you decide to go with!

I've got the same car on order right now and have been trying to figure out what to do as well. I wasn't aware that the texture would cause a problem with 3M which is a major bummer as my brother owns a wrapping company and was going to install some white carbon fiber for me.

Be sure to give an update on what you decide to go with!

I went with Carbon Fiber trim. I bought from eBay from a seller who takes OEM and refinishes into real CF. Others have had success with vinyl so YMMV. I installed it myself, took around 2.5-3 hours. Just to be clear, I had figured ash, not dark ash. If you went with Dark Ash is smooth, so you won’t have an issue.

F887E3B4-C807-4AF0-96E7-F8F44205AB18.jpeg E3164A7E-BD33-4982-8BE9-681D094124E8.jpeg

Reactions: Fred42
I went with Carbon Fiber trim. I bought from eBay from a seller who takes OEM and refinishes into real CF. Others have had success with vinyl so YMMV. I installed it myself, took around 2.5-3 hours. Just to be clear, I had figured ash, not dark ash. If you went with Dark Ash is smooth, so you won’t have an issue.

View attachment 507228 View attachment 507230

My build definitely has the Figured Ash so that does concern me a bit. What did the set run you if you don't mind me asking?