Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing Gemini wheels, cost, and advice.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking delivery of my MYLR this week and super excited about it, I changed my order from the upgraded Induction to Gemini primarily based on my ride preference, the 19 configuration is going to be a lot better for me and the roads around my house.

The design of the Gemini is ok but I like the look of black wheels, I could paint them or even buy the eBay covers out there but also thinking about just replacing the wheel. Quite like the TST from T Sportline and some of the RTX are very nice too.

- What is the average cost of a wheel change?
- Should I do it at a SC or a place like Costco?
- Considering I'll have new tires should I just order the wheels and put my existing tires on them?
- What to do with the Gemini?

I live in Seattle lots of rain not a whole lot of snow so I don't think I need to have a winter set of tires. Overall surprised no company is really capitalizing on making different types of covers for Tesla or EVs in general.

Reactions: cusetownusa
I paid $115 to remove summer tires from Gemini wheels and install winter tires on the wheels.
I don’t think you need to go to SC for tire/wheel changes
Tires for Gemini wheels are good. If your new wheels are the same size you can use them with your new wheels.
you should be able to sell the Gemini wheels

I like black wheels as well. I did not like the ride quality of inductions. I am in MN so snow tires are a must.

I purchased replika R241 wheels in satin black. They were much cheaper than TST. I will start using them next month.

Reactions: PNW_Y
I paid $115 to remove summer tires from Gemini wheels and install winter tires on the wheels.
I don’t think you need to go to SC for tire/wheel changes
Tires for Gemini wheels are good. If your new wheels are the same size you can use them with your new wheels.
you should be able to sell the Gemini wheels

I like black wheels as well. I did not like the ride quality of inductions. I am in MN so snow tires are a must.

I purchased replika R241 wheels in satin black. They were much cheaper than TST. I will start using them next month.

The R241 are beautiful wheels! I came across a thread here yesterday and did some digging, looks like they are out of stock but I'm keeping an eye on them.

$115 is a good reference for a tire change and I think I'll be keeping the tires of the Gemini and install them in the new wheels. I'm thinking I might put the Gemini wheels in-storage and maaaybe put winter tires on them.

I saw them, I quite like the design but I wish it was all black. I love how innovative the wheel is. Performs just like the Aeros in the model 3 from some testing they have done.
I saw them on a MY posted somewhere a while ago - it might have been in the background of a YouTube video - and really liked them. I'm not a fan of all-black wheels so like to contrast here.

I saw them on a MY posted somewhere a while ago - it might have been in the background of a YouTube video - and really liked them. I'm not a fan of all-black wheels so like to contrast here.
I’ve a feeling totally black wheels will go out of style in the next years. Even Tesla’s upgraded wheels for S and X are more of a satin dark gray it seems.

Taking delivery of my MYLR this week and super excited about it, I changed my order from the upgraded Induction to Gemini primarily based on my ride preference, the 19 configuration is going to be a lot better for me and the roads around my house.

The design of the Gemini is ok but I like the look of black wheels, I could paint them or even buy the eBay covers out there but also thinking about just replacing the wheel. Quite like the TST from T Sportline and some of the RTX are very nice too.

- What is the average cost of a wheel change?
- Should I do it at a SC or a place like Costco?
- Considering I'll have new tires should I just order the wheels and put my existing tires on them?
- What to do with the Gemini?

I live in Seattle lots of rain not a whole lot of snow so I don't think I need to have a winter set of tires. Overall surprised no company is really capitalizing on making different types of covers for Tesla or EVs in general.
Cost me $400 to get powder-coat, with mount and balance in SoCal.

Attachments

• 20210226_061150.jpg
    20210226_061150.jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 440
  • 20210317_202443.jpg
    20210317_202443.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 361
I'm debating this decision as well. I'm planning on ordering the Geminis but want to swap out the OEM tires for All Weather tires (Crossclimate2 or quatrac pros). I also live in Seattle but go up to the mountains for skiing quite a bit and have read lots about the OEM tires poor snow performance. I don't want to swap out winter tires and they perform poorly in wet conditions, which are obviously common in the PNW.

Considerations:
  • Keep Gemini (~$50-$600 cost):
    • Powdercoat (-$600?) or Plastidip (-$50) Gemini wheels
    • Sell OEM tires (+$800?)
    • Buy/Install All Weather tires (-$800?)
  • Aftermarket (~$460 - $1160 cost):
    • Buy Replika 241 (-$860) or TSS/TST ($1560/$1760)
    • Sell Gemini and OEM tires (+1200??),
    • Buy/Install All Weather tires (-$800?)
I just don't know what the market for OEM tires or Gemini+OEM tires really looks like. I have seen some listed on FB maketplace but have no idea what people end up selling them for.

I'd think you would be lucky to get $600 for a set of 19" OEM tires, even with only a few 100 miles on them. Buying and installing the Quatrac Pros would likely be around $1000 (with installation and sales tax included)

Selling the Geminis (including tires and TPMS) should get you around $1600-$1800 I would think. Probably $300 less without TPMS.

• Informative
Reactions: PNW_Y and PNWLeccy
That’s a great price. How long did it take?
1 hour. The guy has stock of already powder-coated set to swap yours, with tools to balance and mount tires in his shop in Santa Ana, Ca.
looks great. What mud flaps are those? And do they offer good protection?
Thanks. Those flaps were Model 3s ($12) I repurposed back when there were none made for Model Y. They do the job for SoCal weather. Better to get Model Y specific flaps nowadays.

I took delivery two days ago and surprisingly the Gemini wheels don’t bother me visually. I think in person they have a better look than in pictures.

Overall happy to be riding 19 inches in the terrible roads around my house.

So I’ve deferred the change of wheels to tire change time. Currently thinking I’ll go for a space grey or satin grey option from T Sportline eventually.

Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Update

Here's an update on what I ended up doing, in case anyone references this thread in the future:

- Ordered TSportline TSS 19'' after taxes, discount, and delivery it was about 2k.
- Went to Firestone to change the wheels and swap the tires from the Gemini, balance, etc that was about $120 after taxes.
- Ordered Tesla original wheel caps from TSportline at about 100$.

Total cost about $2220.

I've listed my Gemini for sale here, that will lower the change cost.

How do I feel about it?

Overall very happy, it's nice to have a slightly different Y to the many I see in Seattle. The ride quality is very stiff so I'm happy I stuck with 19'' instead of ordering the 20''. Cost-wise I still it is still slightly cheaper to go this route than upgrade to the 20'' from Tesla after taxes (I think).

IMG_1234.JPG