Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing HV Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Members,

I have 2012 Tesla Model S wich is out of warrenty & needs HV battery pack.

I was able to get my hands on decent HV Battery & found a shop considering doing the swap but not sure how to pair battery to the car.Can we just redeploy the firmware or is it more involved.Can anyone who has knowledge regarding this can help me with swapping the HV Battery please

Sorry to see that happened.

You may want to try: Services | Black Screen | Roadster Battery | Gruber Motors

For the cost of the new battery + services, the Gruber Motors price may be competitive.
Thanks for your response. I am located on the east coast so when I add shipping & other logistics it is coming up close to 9K so I went ahead & brought a junk car to swap the battery.

The only concern is whether I can swap the battery & redeploy the software or is there any configs that need to be changed to pair the battery to the car

If the battery is exactly the same, I suppose you might just be able to swap it without a software change. I don't know of the procedure for that though. You probably need to put the car in Jack Mode, power it off, disconnect the 12 V battery, raise the car, then swap out the main li-ion battery.

May be try reaching out to the group that posted the video linked to below. I am curious to know the steps you take to get everything working and this might help other members, so I encourage you to post back your updates. Tesla also has a service manual (probably for a fee) and that might help you significantly.

Last edited:
The major difference between us and other shops is we do not need to replace modules in the HV battery pack. We actually repair them by isolating the parasitic cell, and neutralizing it, which costs less than a module swap.

This has become the preferred way of repairing Roadster packs since sheets (modules) are in very short supply.

If you can share, what path to resolution did you take and about how much did it hurt the wallet?
I did the battery swap myself with my cousin helping me & one of my friends guided me in pairing the battery to the car.

Overall it is not a bad project as long as you have access to a lift or have multiple sets of jack stands.

Tesla SC uses specialized alignment rods to make sure the battery is aligned properly as I don't have access to them I used 12" screws from Homedepot to make sure the battery is aligned when installing the new pack

If you have any questions please feel free to IM me

• Helpful
Reactions: brainhouston
I did the battery swap myself with my cousin helping me & one of my friends guided me in pairing the battery to the car.

Overall it is not a bad project as long as you have access to a lift or have multiple sets of jack stands.

Tesla SC uses specialized alignment rods to make sure the battery is aligned properly as I don't have access to them I used 12" screws from Homedepot to make sure the battery is aligned when installing the new pack

If you have any questions please feel free to IM me
I can't believe that you did this without recording it. You should've made a video of the install.