Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing instrument cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still have the motherboard from the donor screen- I can take a few pics, what do you need to see?
Shadious Thanks, the one I bought showed up. After tearing into it, the screens that I have are not a direct replacement for a Gen 1 (1004788-00-C). I am working with our vendor to find the Gen 1 screen replacements like the ones I have for the Gen 2 (1004788-00-D ~ 1004788-00-H). The only reason I would recommend doing this replacement though, would be if you absolutely want to keep the Gen 1 screen, otherwise install a Gen 2 and update the software.
IMG_1038.jpg

I did not have any success using a donor board with my vehicle. I had a software update pending and pushed it once the new IC was installed. This did not work for me. My local SC would not push the software update, so I married the old and new together...

I did not have any success using a donor board with my vehicle. I had a software update pending and pushed it once the new IC was installed. This did not work for me. My local SC would not push the software update, so I married the old and new together...
Just so we can keep it clear to anyone who reads this in the future, you are talking Gen 2 to Gen2 screen replacement. There is nothing compatible between Gen 1 and Gen 2 internally, but you can replace a complete Gen1 with a complete Gen 2 with a software update or going to the SC.

I’d be interested in hearing from those who have been able to get the SC to do the update. My experience was not positive- they said no when I asked about the update. Pushing the next available update did not work for me, so I am a bit skeptical. I would be cautious about saying it will definitely work, it did not work for me, Gen 2 to Gen 2 ....

Fair enough, I don't have first hand experience with using the software update or SC to update. But with our screen replacement, you use all of your original equipment, you only swap the screen. I do have first hand experience with this swap and you don't need to update any software.

Reactions: Shadious
I'm buying a used 2013 Model S P85 next week that has this issue so I guess I'm going to have to replace the screen myself so I really appreciate all the information you are posting here, thank you very much guys!
This is good practice for when you need to replace the eMMC chip. Looking back, I would have replaced my eMMC chip when I did the IC screen. I had about 85k miles at the time, so I was living on borrowed time anyway.

Looks like it’s my turn to do this. I have a 2015 MS with 118000 miles. I saw a few bubbles in my IC panel about 6 or 7 months ago. It started with one or two, then within a few weeks it had grown to 3 or 4. I had actually seen this thread at that time, but before I purchased a replacement screen the bubbles completely disappeared. The screen looked fine for a few months, but then about two weeks ago a bunch of bubbles appeared overnight. I don’t think they’re just going to go away this time, so I placed an order for the reeldealev screen. As soon as it arrives I’ll post an update and let you know how it goes.

Reactions: Bueno and Akikiki
Looks like it’s my turn to do this. I have a 2015 MS with 118000 miles. I saw a few bubbles in my IC panel about 6 or 7 months ago. It started with one or two, then within a few weeks it had grown to 3 or 4. I had actually seen this thread at that time, but before I purchased a replacement screen the bubbles completely disappeared. The screen looked fine for a few months, but then about two weeks ago a bunch of bubbles appeared overnight. I don’t think they’re just going to go away this time, so I placed an order for the reeldealev screen. As soon as it arrives I’ll post an update and let you know how it goes.
I’m interested to see the quality of those screens. Looking at the website, it looks like a great option for replacement . I would have bought one if they were around when mine started bubbling.. good luck with the installation- hit me up if you have any questions.

I’m interested to see the quality of those screens. Looking at the website, it looks like a great option for replacement . I would have bought one if they were around when mine started bubbling.. good luck with the installation- hit me up if you have any questions.

I’ll definitely let you know. The cost was pretty similar to what I was seeing for a used screen on eBay and I figured a used screen would really be a crapshoot... I might get a good one or I might get one that’s going to start bubbling again three months down the line. I’m hoping that by getting a new screen it should last longer before it has problems.

I got notified that my screen shipped today and UPS says that it should be delivered on Friday. As soon as it arrives I’ll post an update and let you know what I think.

I got notified that my screen shipped today and UPS says that it should be delivered on Friday. As soon as it arrives I’ll post an update and let you know what I think.

I'm also waiting to hear your experience. Maybe you can post what letter version IC you get? He advertises them as new, so I'm also considering this website for a replacement on my 2015.

I’ll definitely let you know. The cost was pretty similar to what I was seeing for a used screen on eBay and I figured a used screen would really be a crapshoot... I might get a good one or I might get one that’s going to start bubbling again three months down the line. I’m hoping that by getting a new screen it should last longer before it has problems.

Brett, sorry I didn't respond sooner on here. Your order shows it should be there Tuesday unfortunately, sorry. But, don't worry you will have zero issues with these screens, they are brand new. Let us know how your install goes and if you have any questions please email me at [email protected]

Brett, sorry I didn't respond sooner on here. Your order shows it should be there Tuesday unfortunately, sorry. But, don't worry you will have zero issues with these screens, they are brand new. Let us know how your install goes and if you have any questions please email me at [email protected]

Yeah, I noticed that. Originally UPS was showing a Friday delivery time, but now the tracking information says:

Your package has been delayed due to events beyond our control. We are adjusting delivery plans as quickly as possible.

Hopefully this doesn’t mean that they backed over it with a truck or something;)

But as soon as it shows up I’ll post an update.

UPS finally delivered my part this morning. I have no idea what their issue was... first they told me it would be delivered Friday, then Monday, then Tuesday, then back to Monday. But it finally got here and that’s the important thing:)

The install was pretty quick and painless. I went from this:

49B4C131-D4C4-4E86-80DD-3E2A19BBDB26.jpeg

To this:

C9287C63-0B74-4FEF-94B9-10492505D471.jpeg

There was a bit of goop that leaked out from the screen into the metal frame:

9E81D4B7-45C0-4271-B67C-888A8A37D336.jpeg

But as someone suggested above, isopropyl alcohol took care of it pretty quickly and easily.

Overall it was a little less than 1.5 hours from the time UPS dropped off the screen until the new one was installed and the car was buttoned back up. Although this is one of those things where there is a bit of a learning curve the first time and I could probably do in half the time if I had to do it again.

A couple of quick notes about the install: I did not use an airbag thingie to lift the dash. I can see how it could have been helpful, but I really had no problems lifting the dash by hand and holding it up to undo the screws that were hidden by it. If you happen to have one, great, use it, but if you don’t have one I don’t think it’s worth buying just for this.

I also did not disconnect the 12V battery or the high voltage. I did use the touch screen to turn the car off (probably about 10 or 15 times... for some reason it kept turning itself on). When I got everything reconnected the screen was blank, but resetting both screens with the steering wheel buttons was enough to bring it back to life.

As far as reeldealev goes, I am very happy with the transaction. The part was shipped quickly, the cost was about the same as what I would pay for a used instrument cluster on eBay, but I feel much more comfortable knowing that this is a brand new screen. With a used part I would be nervous about possible scratches on the screen or it developing the same problem within a few months. I don’t know that this screen won’t also develop the same problem at some point, but since it’s brand new now hopefully it won’t happen for at least a few years.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: mambro
I'm also waiting to hear your experience. Maybe you can post what letter version IC you get? He advertises them as new, so I'm also considering this website for a replacement on my 2015.

The part from reeldealev is not a Tesla part, so the IC version doesn’t really apply. It is just a screen and you use your existing IC driver board (which is what would be versioned anyway). Both the new screen and my original screen were made by LG and did indeed appear to be the same part.

94102A4D-AA13-483F-83E3-9421F9A1FABE.jpeg

As I said above, I was happy with my transaction with reeldealev and I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them.