Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing instrument cluster

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great here’s another issue I’ve come across. Front trunk won’t open at all from what I keep reading it’s a known issue. It doesn’t open up at all. Any suggestions it also seems to have disabled my autopilot

Attachments

• C51516F7-41F6-48D2-A48B-50FCDEF072B0.jpeg
    C51516F7-41F6-48D2-A48B-50FCDEF072B0.jpeg
    329 KB · Views: 258
I've watched the video but could someone rank the difficulty of the job of replacing the instrument cluster and swapping out the motherboard on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being I need help using a screwdriver and 10 being I work on the Tesla assembly line putting in instrument clusters. 5 would be average mechanical skills like I can change my own oil.

I've watched the video but could someone rank the difficulty of the job of replacing the instrument cluster and swapping out the motherboard on a scale of 1-10, with 1 being I need help using a screwdriver and 10 being I work on the Tesla assembly line putting in instrument clusters. 5 would be average mechanical skills like I can change my own oil.
I’d put this at about a 5. If you watch the videos, they show step by step how to take the dash apart. I’d say it is easier than replacing a car stereo with an aftermarket one. The scariest part is removing all the trim panels, as some are a bit tough to pull out and they sound like they are going to snap in half. Take your time and watch and pause the how to videos and it goes oretty smoothly.

It’s much easier than eye surgery.

Great here’s another issue I’ve come across. Front trunk won’t open at all from what I keep reading it’s a known issue. It doesn’t open up at all. Any suggestions it also seems to have disabled my autopilot

Hello, I have a Model S 70D and this weekend I am going to change the screen. I want to know if after you replaced yours, have you had any problems?

Greetings.

Hello, I have a Model S 70D and this weekend I am going to change the screen. I want to know if after you replaced yours, have you had any problems?

Greetings.
No issues with the bubbling or interface since the replacement. I have had the IC stay dark for about 30 seconds upon turning on the vehicle(happened about 3-4) times since I did the replacement. Not sure what is going on there, but otherwise it’s been perfect.

Thank you very much, the replacement was a success, although I cannot lie that I felt a little scared when I connected the new display and saw that it went black. But thanks to Shadious who told me that you need to do a reset of the IC by pressing you know the buttons on the helm.

Thanks you.

Reactions: Bueno and Shadious

Attachments

• Instrument Cluster.jpg
    Instrument Cluster.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 197
  • Instrument Cluster2.jpg
    Instrument Cluster2.jpg
    379 KB · Views: 178
  • Instrument Cluster3.jpg
    Instrument Cluster3.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 183
I just recently replaced mine, and in the process found a different way of doing it, just replace the bad part, the screen!! Don't replace everything, then you risk having to reprogram thru SC. I decided to create a shop to sell them to others or install it for you. Let me know if you are interested. Instrument Cluster to replaced bubbled, leaking Tesla Model S & X screen — Reel Deal
If you are buying used parts and reselling them, I’d suggest you mention that on your page. Also, the instructions are a bit vague. Having done this myself, I know there are many more steps involved. Take some time to do a proper video with the step by step instructions if you want to stand out from the crowd. Otherwise, the information on this thread is much better than your website. Good luck with the new business venture!

If you are buying used parts and reselling them, I’d suggest you mention that on your page. Also, the instructions are a bit vague. Having done this myself, I know there are many more steps involved. Take some time to do a proper video with the step by step instructions if you want to stand out from the crowd. Otherwise, the information on this thread is much better than your website. Good luck with the new business venture!
I appreciate the feedback, these are new screens. As you mentioned there are plenty of videos showing the process of replacing the whole unit, replacing the screen is about 2 more extra steps. I have the instructions for that portion, but a video is a good idea. Thanks

Hi all new to the Forum! Going to switch out my cluster on my 13 P90+ which should have the Gen1 will find out for sure when I pull the dash. Question with a used cluster from what you guys have seen does the bubbling on the outer silver trim of the Gen1 start bubbling on the screen? Seems difficult to find a completely clean Gen1 screen. May just grab the Gen2 and ask for the latest update when I do it. Pictures on top of screen trim, thoughts?

Attachments

• 894C915B-08D5-492E-AB6E-67DD63EA0486.png
    894C915B-08D5-492E-AB6E-67DD63EA0486.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 188
Hi all new to the Forum! Going to switch out my cluster on my 13 P90+ which should have the Gen1 will find out for sure when I pull the dash. Question with a used cluster from what you guys have seen does the bubbling on the outer silver trim of the Gen1 start bubbling on the screen? Seems difficult to find a completely clean Gen1 screen. May just grab the Gen2 and ask for the latest update when I do it. Pictures on top of screen trim, thoughts?
Honestly a used gen 1 screen may not have much life left in it unless it had been previously replaced. I’d with check with the guy above who is sellli g new units, or check with Tesla and see what the will charge. From what I remember, Gen 1 and Gen 2 don’t match up with the mounting holes.

I just recently replaced mine, and in the process found a different way of doing it, just replace the bad part, the screen!! Don't replace everything, then you risk having to reprogram thru SC. I decided to create a shop to sell them to others or install it for you. Let me know if you are interested. Instrument Cluster to replaced bubbled, leaking Tesla Model S & X screen — Reel Deal

@TonyT do you have any experience with IC replacements? The IC is bubbling on the 2015 P85D you helped me with. I'm considering ordering a replacement and trying this swap.

Honestly a used gen 1 screen may not have much life left in it unless it had been previously replaced. I’d with check with the guy above who is sellli g new units, or check with Tesla and see what the will charge. From what I remember, Gen 1 and Gen 2 don’t match up with the mounting holes.

That’s exactly what I was thinking. I just wasn’t sure on the bubbling on that trim area, I assumed that’s the start. But I’d definitely prefer a Gen2 and I’m sure I can do it. Worse comes to worse I guess I’ll just buy both screens Gen2 first. Still beats paying Tesla over a grand....

That’s exactly what I was thinking. I just wasn’t sure on the bubbling on that trim area, I assumed that’s the start. But I’d definitely prefer a Gen2 and I’m sure I can do it. Worse comes to worse I guess I’ll just buy both screens Gen2 first. Still beats paying Tesla over a grand....

You could also wait until your car qualifies to get the infotainment upgrade for $2,500 which includes replacing the MCU with a MCU2 and replacing the IC as well.

• Informative
Reactions: Cowby
The mounting and all wiring for high rear gen 1 is the same. Gen 2 only to be used with mcu 2 has different wiring and requires Mcu2 but still has same mounting.

Hello, I have been trying to gather information to provide clarification. I have all Gen 2 stuff, and I don't know the Gen 1's. I have been trying to get good photos of a Gen 1, but have not had good luck, I am just going to buy one to take apart. Thanks for the patience.

Here are a few pics to help out.

Attachments

• 1096D6C4-3A2C-4671-AC58-9CC2DC7D1ED2.png
    1096D6C4-3A2C-4671-AC58-9CC2DC7D1ED2.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 187
  • D173E558-3268-446D-929D-4ADFA7C7D054.png
    D173E558-3268-446D-929D-4ADFA7C7D054.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 177
  • A83CB442-DD42-4011-BEED-32F08D26924E.jpeg
    A83CB442-DD42-4011-BEED-32F08D26924E.jpeg
    204.3 KB · Views: 190
  • 2F9705CF-0DCE-4685-A6A4-26E39554171D.jpeg