Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing keys

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question about replacement keys; previous owner lost one of the keys so he bought 2 new ones and the receiver (I believe, all 3 parts still in the plastic as I've not yet opened them)

It would appear that you would swap the existing receiver box with the new one and be on your way? Of course the keys have to be cut to match the existing one to work the emergency door lock and rear hatch but could it be that simple?

Then again, anyone know where that receiver is someplace hidden up under the dash?

Thanks!

My first experience with Tesla service - not outstanding yet. 5 weeks to get the appointment, then they said the car would be ready Friday (this was 8am Wed!) I told the advisor that I was expecting to wait, or at least come back later today... no dice. Much fudging about how much work it is to code keys (ok really) and perhaps it will be done 4pm tomorrow... I've flashed complete ECUs in 20mins with warmup how can this be that hard?

Oh well, I still really like the car!

there is a firmware update for Roadsters.

What version? It may have just been new to your car, they don't always apply them when cars come in for service so it may have been something others have had for awhile. I know that there was an update to get access to J1772 charging and it was available but not applied unless requested. At least that's what I read on here before buying.

Possibly but I knew it was coming because my Tesla pal got an email last Saturday which described the contents of the update; mostly I ignored but something about slow speed cruise control.

Interesting about the J1772 thing - mine has been working since I got it.

I only got one key with my car and contacted Tesla to get one more. They said that it was not possible to order one key, but I had to order a set of two keys with locks, and change all the locks on my car to be able to use them... Hopeless service. Have you been able to just order one extra key?

That makes no sense. Previous owner lost one key so bought a kit ( 2 keys and lock module) which I took to service center. Existing module was fine so new keys cut to match old key and coded to work with the car. Now I have 3 functioning keys and a spare module should the one in the car fail

Btw receipt for the kit appeared to be $65 but that seems low priced for a Tesla

... FYI #2 there is a firmware update for Roadsters.

When I read this I assumed that there was not a new firmware update and that just your car needed the latest update. But then you posted this:

Possibly but I knew it was coming because my Tesla pal got an email last Saturday which described the contents of the update; mostly I ignored but something about slow speed cruise control.

Then I started wondering if there really is an update. Part of it is wishful thinking - I would really like low-speed cruise control. I wonder why your "Tesla pal" got an email but none of the rest of us did. If you talk to your pal, see if you can post a copy of the email here. You would get millions of likes if you did. OK, maybe only 2,500.:)

BTW, J1772 charging always worked if the EVSE was able to deliver 72A or less. The firmware update 3 yrs ago only fixed J1772 charging for chargers capable of more than 72A.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I only got one key with my car and contacted Tesla to get one more. They said that it was not possible to order one key, but I had to order a set of two keys with locks, and change all the locks on my car to be able to use them... Hopeless service. Have you been able to just order one extra key?

I can answer that question.

I just bought a Roadster (Thunder Grey 2010 Roadster 2.0 Sport #557) last month and it only came with one key (previous owner is still looking for other keys). I was able to get a single duplicate key made at Devon PA Tesla SC. The key was ~$90 and the labor was ~$220 so it was not a cheap key, but it provides peace of mind for such a large investment should something happen to the original key. Of note, they did this while I waited in about 2-3 hours. I even got a Tesla key chain :)