Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing Model S Fog Light.. Help!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Contact your friendly local Tesla service. You may be surprised how much they are willing to share. All they need is to print you a few pages out of the service manual.

After you get it replaced I strongly encourage you to get these silicone based thick protectors, installation using distilled water is a breeze and they are very durable, water then evaporates for that tight seal, just make sure temps are 70ies or above, a dial-in heat gun is a plus for adjustments:
2015 Tesla Model S | Headlamp Headlight Protection, LampGard by WeatherTech | WeatherTech.com
All of our cars have had them for 10 years since I smashed my S60R's foglight on its maiden voyage on the road out of the dealership. Just the other day I heard a giant thud on the front of our Odyssey, on inspection I found a big scratch on the Lamin-X puddle protector, glass intact.

• Informative
Reactions: arcus
You most likely have to remove the front bumper unless you've got some extra long skinny arms and fingers.
Even if you did you'd be doing the fog light replacement in the blind.

I'll be doing a fog light replacement in a few weeks and will put up instructions like the time i replaced my headlight bulb.
(How to Replace the Tesla Model S Headlight Bulb (Non-Tech Pkg) )
In that thread there is a pic showing some of the bolts near the fog light once the wheel well cover is removed. With the wheel off it might be possible to get to the fog light easier.

The biggest thing I've heard to be cautious about is to be delicate around the louvers.

Last edited:
You most likely have to remove the front bumper unless you've got some extra long skinny arms and fingers.
Even if you did you'd be doing the fog light replacement in the blind.

I'll be doing a fog light replacement in a few weeks and will put up instructions like the time i replaced my headlight bulb.
(How to Replace the Tesla Model S Headlight Bulb (Non-Tech Pkg) )
In that thread there is a pic showing some of the bolts near the fog light once the wheel well cover is removed. With the wheel off it might be possible to get to the fog light easier.

The biggest thing I've heard to be cautious about is to be delicate around the louvers.

thanks for the info. looking forward to see your pic for fog light. just curious. what are you going to do with the fog light?

Removing the front bumper is rather easy, on the Model S:

1. Remove the nosecone and disconnect the sensor wires if you have them, first.
2. There is a T10 Torx screw behind each headlight,
3. Two 10mm bolts above the nosecone once you remove the big side plastic pieces over the frunk,
4. 8-10 plastic fasteners along the bottom of the bumper cover (two of them are longer than the others, keep track of where they go)
5. The whole bumper will swing away toward the passenger side. There is one big wiring harness that uses a single, large connector behind the headlight.

Once you get the bumper cover pulled back, the foglights are super easy to get to.

I've got the non-tech package car and body shop a while back gave me a tech package fog light for one side. I told them to leave it like that so that at a later time I'd replace the other side.

actually that's what i wanted to do also. i don't have the lighting package so no fog light or the good looking light pipe.
since yours did not come with fog light, does it work when you install one? does the light pipe lights up? thanks again.

Removing the front bumper is rather easy, on the Model S:

1. Remove the nosecone and disconnect the sensor wires if you have them, first.
2. There is a T10 Torx screw behind each headlight,
3. Two 10mm bolts above the nosecone once you remove the big side plastic pieces over the frunk,
4. 8-10 plastic fasteners along the bottom of the bumper cover (two of them are longer than the others, keep track of where they go)
5. The whole bumper will swing away toward the passenger side. There is one big wiring harness that uses a single, large connector behind the headlight.

Once you get the bumper cover pulled back, the foglights are super easy to get to.

thank you for the instructions.

Can you really just add foglights to non-tech package cars? Doesn't it also need software activation?
Yes you can add the fog lights to the non-tech package cars and you don't need the software activation unless you want to turn the fog lights on.
See the following video on the fog lights turned on and off:
I wouldn't be able to do that without the software activation.

actually that's what i wanted to do also. i don't have the lighting package so no fog light or the good looking light pipe.
since yours did not come with fog light, does it work when you install one? does the light pipe lights up? thanks again.

Yup all the wiring worked fine and the installed tech package fog light leds light up. I've had a unsymmetrical Tesla at night for a while :(.
Here's a night pic:
loganss_mismatchedFogs_1600x900.jpg

Yes you can add the fog lights to the non-tech package cars and you don't need the software activation unless you want to turn the fog lights on.

Yup all the wiring worked fine and the installed tech package fog light leds light up. I've had a unsymmetrical Tesla at night for a while :(.
Here's a night pic:
View attachment 172034

great to hear. i think this will be my next project. looking forward to see some pictures from your mod.
thanks for your help.

FYI another forum member has posted a nice how-to for removing the front bumper.
How To: Front Bumper and Headlight Removal

thanks, i found that too. did my project last weekend and it was easier than i thought.
the end result is great. called tesla up and told them i want a software upgrade to enable the fog light.
to my surprise they are actually willing to do it. there is a service charge. i will find out exactly in couple weeks once i bring the car into SC. i'll report the result then. i'll have my fingers crossed.

so just a little update to share with people who might be looking to add fog light.
took it into SC today and they charged me 1 hour labor to check and update firmware to activate the fog light.
not sure if cornering light works or not but i'll find out when i pick up the car later this evening.
total cost for adding fog light is at around $500
much less than what TM is charging. couldn't be happier :)

Reactions: loganss

Here's a night pic:
View attachment 172034

Did that light bar strip automatically light up with the new fog light even without SC program update?

so just a little update to share with people who might be looking to add fog light.
took it into SC today and they charged me 1 hour labor to check and update firmware to activate the fog light.
not sure if cornering light works or not but i'll find out when i pick up the car later this evening.

was the $500 for just the firmware or also the cost of both fog lights?

which service center did you have this done at? I just checked with the SC near me and they said that it's not possible to add fog lights to a vehicle if you don't have the lighting package upgrade. the wiring isn't in place.