Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing MS with a... minivan?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So it is been a few months now with my 2014 S85.
SC replaced motor, door handle, windshield and other small things

It does rattle, squeak and makes all kind of 80s cars annoying noises... seats are uncomfortable etc etc etc
BUT I LOVE IT!!!1!111

I love my tesla... but my family is growing, we have 4 people (3 adults and infant) and seems to be alright for now, but over the weekend we baby sit 5 yo and took her with us to the beach... it was pretty uncomfortable and not so good for 5 people, especially with 2 kids and their huge seats...

so now my family wants me to get a proper family car, such as 2019 odyssey... I would love to get a MX but it is out of my budget....

my car valued at $40k trade in and $43k private sale... what should I do? is it realistic to get a used MX say in lower $50k?
I know this is more like a personal issue, but we are big tesla family here.. maybe you guys can advice ?

• Funny
Reactions: CarlK
A 2016 Model X might get close to that, depending on options and mileage. I know for a fact Tesla is taking in trade ins well below that amount, but they have always lowballed Tesla trades and the calculators claim the cars are worth more like $60k.

The other thing you might look at if you do decide on a true minivan is the Pacifica Hybrid. It's a PHEV that's pretty much like a Volt got stuck in a minivan with a bigger engine attached. You lose the stow and go seats because the pack goes there.

So it is been a few months now with my 2014 S85.
SC replaced motor, door handle, windshield and other small things

It does rattle, squeak and makes all kind of 80s cars annoying noises... seats are uncomfortable etc etc etc
BUT I LOVE IT!!!1!111

I love my tesla... but my family is growing, we have 4 people (3 adults and infant) and seems to be alright for now, but over the weekend we baby sit 5 yo and took her with us to the beach... it was pretty uncomfortable and not so good for 5 people, especially with 2 kids and their huge seats...

so now my family wants me to get a proper family car, such as 2019 odyssey... I would love to get a MX but it is out of my budget....

my car valued at $40k trade in and $43k private sale... what should I do? is it realistic to get a used MX say in lower $50k?
I know this is more like a personal issue, but we are big tesla family here.. maybe you guys can advice ?

I, too, think the MX is a better move. Maybe it would help you feel better about budgets to think about the things you will be paying for in the long run vs the MX. Things like regular oil changes; filter changes; brake replacement; spending time at gas stations; etc. Price of gasoline vs your electricity rate should provide significant savings. Safety considerations are something else.

If you can swing the initial purchase I think you will save in the long run and have a lot more fun and be a lot happier!

Good point on the 7 seat MS, but you need to do more than just put the seats in. Special beam for impact protection, plus some other details one can search up here

That said, perhaps a used 7 seat MS is available for much less, with free SC, and better efficiency than the MX...

Reactions: Ciaopec

As a matter of principle, I would not change cars just to make the kids more comfortable when babysitting at times. This is a potential expense of many thousands of dollars. Our parenting styles may differ, but this would certainly not reach the threshold of "need a different car" - it may do the kids some good to learn to tough it out. All of this goes out the window, of course, if your third adult isn't happy.

Of course, I would also make the argument to the family that supporting Tesla (and other "green energy" companies) is something that we should all try to do for the long term benefit of all our children.

If those arguments fall on deaf ears, and acquiring a Model X isn't an option, perhaps the family could be persuaded to wait for a seven seat Model Y. The third row seats in the Y might be a bit cramped, but they should be perfectly fine for kids.

I would recommend the Chrysler Pacifica (gas or hybrid - depending on your pref). Life happens and get the car that meets your needs. You can always buy a Tesla or another EV later.

Personally, I have the model S (mostly for commute), BMW X3 (for the mrs) and Pacifica minivan for the weekend trips/beach/Costco runs.

I used to be a BMW guy but now prefer the tesla and Pacifica for the ride quietness/comfort. The Pacifica (and most modern minivans) has amazing sound proofing.

I would recommend the Chrysler Pacifica (gas or hybrid - depending on your pref). Life happens and get the car that meets your needs. You can always buy a Tesla or another EV later.

Personally, I have the model S (mostly for commute), BMW X3 (for the mrs) and Pacifica minivan for the weekend trips/beach/Costco runs.

I used to be a BMW guy but now prefer the tesla and Pacifica for the ride quietness/comfort. The Pacifica (and most modern minivans) has amazing sound proofing.

Chrysler Pacifica hybrid is the only PHEV in the market, but reliability is a problem per the forums. It's expensive compared to gas version

Reactions: Watts_Up
I say keep your S and get an Odyssey, possibly a used one. You’ll have plenty of room for the family and you can keep your car. We have an Odyssey, a 2004, reliable, comfortable, quiet, and lots of room. We had a 1996 Odyssey as well until recently, it was nearing a quarter of a million miles. The ‘04 has got 147K miles on it, we maintain it but no repairs.

If you have the room, the two vehicles, your S and an Odyssey will serve you well.

Reactions: Watts_Up
2 Adults and one carseat family here, and take the minivan everytime over the Model S. S is relegated to commute duties only.

Frankly prefer the minivan. Drive it at higher sustained speeds than my S and get ignored by everyone on the road.
In my S every sporty car, (Honda,hyundai, Kia) on the road wants to challenge me, try to match my speed and tail gate me, and big trucks want to coal roll me for no reason. I have had more people move into my lane to speed block me in the Model S. Intimidation is the road culture here in the USA. Hence the big grille trucks and giant SUV's.

I just like driving fast when I want to and cruise when I want to. Don't care what the other driver has or is driving.

The Minivan gets me there just as fast with less drama on the road, and as a bonus it seems to be invisible to law enforcement. Not so much the Tesla.

As a matter of principle, I would not change cars just to make the kids more comfortable when babysitting at times. This is a potential expense of many thousands of dollars. Our parenting styles may differ, but this would certainly not reach the threshold of "need a different car" - it may do the kids some good to learn to tough it out. All of this goes out the window, of course, if your third adult isn't happy.
Absolutely agree with this. Slight perceived discomfort occasionally does not merit buying a gas-burning car.

Normally I would say 3 adults and 1 baby should be fine with a sedan, but the MS is so low that whoever putting the baby in and out from the middle of the back seat is going to hurt his/her back doing that frequently. Usually it's the grandma or mother who does that, so they should have a say on it.
Get a MX and you have no problem.. you could walk straight up on to the back seat.. no bending at all. But Odyssey is a very nice minivan.. if you must get a minivan. ;)

• Funny
Reactions: b team and Watts_Up