Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing NEMA 14-50 with Wall Connector - Wiring question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a question when swapping out a NEMA 14-50 with a Wall Connector. Since the neutral is unused, I have it disconnected at both ends with a wire nut. For ground I just used the normal ground wire in the 6-3 THHN. My question is should I be using the neutral wire for ground instead of the smaller ground wire? I know in normal circumstances there is no current in the ground wire, and in the case of a short, I would expect the breaker to trip prior to that wire getting too hot, but not entirely sure what the best way to wire this up is.

Attachments

• IMG_20220104_091232.jpg
    IMG_20220104_091232.jpg
    444.8 KB · Views: 1,763
Reactions: Proppilot
No, you have it right the way it is. Leave the unused white wire capped off. White wires are for identification purposes always supposed to be for neutral and not ground if possible. It is possible or allowed to use a white wire for ground if it has to be and you don't have a ground wire available, but then that does require extra wire marking if you're going to do that to indicate that the white isn't being used as neutral like it is supposed to be.

swapping out a NEMA 14-50 with a Wall Connector.

A couple of additional points I am sure you have addressed:

1. Remove the GFIC breaker that was used for the 14-50 and install a standard 2-pole breaker. The Wall Connector has internal GFIC protection.

2. Be sure to configure the connector for a 50A circuit, it comes out of the box configured for 60A.

Is that a picture of your install?
Yeah (I know the wire entry and routing isn't what is in the installation manual, if that is why you are asking)

1. Remove the GFIC breaker that was used for the 14-50 and install a standard 2-pole breaker. The Wall Connector has internal GFIC protection.

2. Be sure to configure the connector for a 50A circuit, it comes out of the box configured for 60A.
My NEMA 14-50 was installed before that requirement, or at least didn't have a GFCI breaker before. Technically I replaced the 14-50 outlet with a load center, and then added two 50A 2-pole breakers, and then ran a second branch circuit to a second wall connector since i'll be adding another vehicle soon. Both wall connectors are set up for 50A circuits, and I will set them to load share. Or at least they will be eventually since Tesla sent me a defective wall connector, and I can't seem to find a way to contact them to get a replacement.

Reactions: ATPMSD
Ah, so this wasn't formerly an outlet? This is a new circuit coming from a load center? And now that I look closer it doesn't appear to be THHN either.
Anyway, it still looks fine to me despite the code violations of exposed Romex and the modified entry location. Just make sure the ground and neutral are not connected to each other in the load center (as you surely already know from the countless warnings it likely included).

Ah, so this wasn't formerly an outlet? This is a new circuit coming from a load center? And now that I look closer it doesn't appear to be THHN either.
Anyway, it still looks fine to me despite the code violations of exposed Romex and the modified entry location. Just make sure the ground and neutral are not connected to each other in the load center (as you surely already know from the countless warnings it likely included).
I am sure local codes vary, but exposed romex is not against nec.

Yeah sorry, i should have said Romex, not THHN. My understanding is that exposed romex in a wall cavity is ok (this is an unfinished garage). It sounds like in some local codes that is true as long as the wire is not run perpendicular to the studs in the cavity, but run up along the stud to above the wall plate.

I did add the separate ground bus bar in the load center :) Thanks for pointing it out.

I am sure local codes vary, but exposed romex is not against nec.
Whoa. Then we need to have a talk about what you think "exposed" means versus what we think it means. Because if you're talking about just stringing it along the surface of an interior wall in your garage, at regular waist or chest height, where it could get bumped or snagged, etc.? That is certainly forbidden by code. Code says if you are going to have Romex outside of the wall like that, then you do have to put it inside conduit to protect it from that kind of incidental damage.

• Disagree
Reactions: orntar
Whoa. Then we need to have a talk about what you think "exposed" means versus what we think it means. Because if you're talking about just stringing it along the surface of an interior wall in your garage, at regular waist or chest height, where it could get bumped or snagged, etc.? That is certainly forbidden by code. Code says if you are going to have Romex outside of the wall like that, then you do have to put it inside conduit to protect it from that kind of incidental damage.
No specifics, his image shows an unfinished garage. 334.10 clearly stares that's its AOK.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H
Thanks. Unfortunately, I tried that. Also emailed onlineorders, and separately requested a return of the wall connector. It has been 1.5 weeks since I first tried to request help and i haven't heard back at all. Unless there is a number to call i think my next bet is to contact my CC company and request a chargeback.
I assume also you tried calling a Tesla Service Center near you?