Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing one tire (18") - no acoustic foam - problem?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm halfway through my 18" set on my M3 (Dec '18) and I have an unrepairable sidewall puncture in the rear left tire. I didn't wanna buy a new tire (or whole set!) and waste money/tread so I got a used one with more than enough tread that will easily outlast the original tires.

I just realized the tire doesn't have the white acoustic foam layer, althought he specs were identical (MXM primacy 235/45 W98 TO). I'm not concerned about the noise?

Are there gonna be any problems with having not having foam in one tire? Shouldn't affect the TPMS system?

Thanks for any input!

Not directly answering your question, but I just swapped from stock 19” slipstreams on our S to 20” staggered Model X wheels (with appropriately sized tires for the S) and the Michelin Pilot Sport 4Ses I got did not have the foam. It’s no different.

I swear that foam doesn’t make one bit a difference and would defy anybody who can scientifically prove it with a dB graph. AFAIC, that stuff only causes issues when it peels off and causes an imbalanced tire :-/

#2+#3 Thanks! Ok, yeah I thought so too about the noise reduction (although I saw some graph somewhere from comparing with/without and it was 2db difference or something, but not sure/can't find link), I was just wondering if there are some mojo sensors that would be thrown off by a 'mismatched' tire.

Foam should not be an issue, but make sure the replacement tire is the same brand, size and model as the others. Not safe to have mismatched tires on any car.

Yes, it's the exact same tire, same specs down to the load index. :)