Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing one tire? Two? Or all?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks. I unfortunately got a flat yesterday. A piece of metal got stuck near the sidewall and it couldn't be patched. Tire shop replaced the tire with another OEM Michelin mxm4. They said I should be fine with the one, but recommended I come back in a couple thousand miles to replace one more, to have a pair. My three remaining tires are at 5/32. I believe the starting tread depth was 8/32 with the mxm4s, so it's a difference of 3/32s. I've read that's borderline in terms of replacing one tire. I'm wondering if I should go with another new tire, to have a pair now (which is what I've done in the past with flats, change in twos) or if I should take their advice and just wait? Part of me is also wondering I should just replace all 4 now, given they're at 5/32. Any thoughts? I'd appreciate some feedback. Thanks in advance!

You could probably just leave it alone. Model 3s have open differentials so there won't be any mechanical damage running tires of slightly different tread depth, unless the car's pulling to one side or another you could just leave it. You could also just replace 1 more tire and put the two newer ones in the rear. Definitely zero need to replace all 4, unless you like throwing money away!

You could probably just leave it alone. Model 3s have open differentials so there won't be any mechanical damage running tires of slightly different tread depth, unless the car's pulling to one side or another you could just leave it. You could also just replace 1 more tire and put the two newer ones in the rear. Definitely zero need to replace all 4, unless you like throwing money away!
Appreciate it! The car is definitely pulling to the right now, which is where the new tire was put on.

Do you think if I replace one more it would balance out the pulling?

Reactions: XPsionic