Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing ONE tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pianewman

2021 MYLR VIN 88,XXX, Rd/Wh, 12/20 delivery
Supporting Member
Oct 28, 2020
Fort Worth
VIN 88xxx, MYLR. 19" ContiProContact. 12k miles, tires at 6/32" tread depth. OEM tread depth 9/32",

Picked up a nail, and yes, it's as far out into the sidewall as I've ever seen. It appears to be vertically IN the sidewall, so no chance of plug/patch.

TireRack is willing to shave a tire to 6/32", but they can do this only in Nevada or Indiana. It would take at least 2 weeks to get the tire to them, shave it, and ship it to Fort Worth.

My local suspension shop (Texas Track Works, Fort Worth, TX) says that 3/32" difference in tire tread depth is borderline troublesome. Their only experience with something similar was a Subaru WRX, and it was NOT happy with the discrepancy.

QUESTION: Will a 3/32" difference in tire tread depth on the same axle cause issues with the Tesla drivetrain?

...or...would it be possible to replace 2 tires with Bridgestone QuietTrack, same size, load rating, and put them on the same axle, keeping the 6/32" ContiProContacts on the other axle? Lots of paranoia about different brands/tread patterns on different axles, just wondering what the current thoughts are.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Tires can be very subjective at times. They can get pretty expensive so I can see why.

That tread difference is definitely noticeable, personally, I would replace both tires. Ask to keep the good one, and keep it in your garage as a spare tire. Let's say you get another nail 10k miles from now, you can have that spare tire to swap on.

My general rule of thumb for tires is to not let budget dictate safety. If you can afford to get the two tires, definitely aim for that. You'll end up having to replace both at some time eventually. One will wear down much quicker than the other.

VIN 88xxx, MYLR. 19" ContiProContact. 12k miles, tires at 6/32" tread depth. OEM tread depth 9/32",

Picked up a nail, and yes, it's as far out into the sidewall as I've ever seen. It appears to be vertically IN the sidewall, so no chance of plug/patch.

TireRack is willing to shave a tire to 6/32", but they can do this only in Nevada or Indiana. It would take at least 2 weeks to get the tire to them, shave it, and ship it to Fort Worth.

My local suspension shop (Texas Track Works, Fort Worth, TX) says that 3/32" difference in tire tread depth is borderline troublesome. Their only experience with something similar was a Subaru WRX, and it was NOT happy with the discrepancy.

QUESTION: Will a 3/32" difference in tire tread depth on the same axle cause issues with the Tesla drivetrain?

...or...would it be possible to replace 2 tires with Bridgestone QuietTrack, same size, load rating, and put them on the same axle, keeping the 6/32" ContiProContacts on the other axle? Lots of paranoia about different brands/tread patterns on different axles, just wondering what the current thoughts are.

Thanks.
In my experience, whatever that's worth, it will not be noticeable, and that is why there are limited slip differentials. Tesla drive trains are as tough as any out there. Tires of different sizes, even caused by different tread depth, turn at different speeds. AND it makes no difference.

I got a huge hole in my sidewall and replaced it with a new Michelin. Not only did it have more tread, but it was a different brand, and there is NO noticeable difference when I drive, which has been over 10,000 miles There is no need for paranoia. Just drive the thing and be happy.

Of course, Tire stores will be happy to massage your paranoia and charge you for it, and may, if you ask politely and hand them your credit card, sell you a complete set of the most expensive tires they have. Driving with different tread depths is NOT borderline troublesome.

Tell you what. Buy one tire to replace the one with a hole in it. Have it mounted, and drive it for another 12,000 miles, and then tell me how it makes it impossible to drive down the road that way. Firstly, I won't believe you, and secondly, I'll figure you have a way too active imagination.

roblab: I appreciate your post, but can you tell me on what authority you say "Tesla drive trains are as tough as any out there."????...and how this tread depth difference would NOT be a problem, other than your own experience (was it on a 4 wheel drive Tesla???)_

I'm seeking technical advice, though, not a single data point. Of COURSE I wouldn't notice a difference from the driver's seat, but I'm NOT inside the differential, with 2 axles spinning at 2 different speeds, with unknown consequences. I want to know, from someone who knows MORE than you or I, how much tread difference is tolerable. TireRack says 2/32" is their limit.

Your comment "I won't believe you" says it all about your perspective, and attitude. This comment makes me doubt your advice.

With an AWD system, I’d also consider 3/32 borderline. The right thing to do would be to shave. I wouldnt change 2 tires out to a different brand as this is just making it more complicated for longer instead of solving it. That said, typically those comments are b/c you may burn out the diff. I’m not as familiar with the MY as I just have one on order and don’t know a ton about these cars

Reactions: JimmySure
With an AWD system, I’d also consider 3/32 borderline. The right thing to do would be to shave. I wouldnt change 2 tires out to a different brand as this is just making it more complicated for longer instead of solving it. That said, typically those comments are b/c you may burn out the diff. I’m not as familiar with the MY as I just have one on order and don’t know a ton about these cars
Because of the model Y being dual motor, this would be just like a 2 wheel drive car, with the tire in question being on the drive axle. Personally I'd probably do it, but it is fairly close.

it is weird how much recommendations vary. My other car, rwd, had folks recommending that I replace only one. I did that, and kind of regret it as it actually feels off.

i had a similar issue on the Y with >12k miles already on the tires and they wanted to replace both. I didn't and it is 100% unnoticeable. Not sure the exact tread difference, but it couldn't have been much.

I just purchased 2 OEM Contis from Discount Tire. LOOKING at them, they look remarkably similar. I will measure them compared to the 12k original tire. If it's close, I just might try a single replacement.
I know the eye can be fooled, as can the butt dyno...HAHA!

Replaced one tire. OEM was between 6-7/32", replacement is 8-9/32" Visually, they appear identical, as the sipes, sharp-edged treadblocks, shoulders look the same. I'm happy that the OEM, at 12.3k miles, is worn so evenly.

Unless someone has info that I'm damaging the rear differential with the very slight tread depth difference, I'll ignore it. I'll run it by my suspension shop and have them check it out.

Question: Any idea if the rear drive would be L or R biased? Mostly driver only, with my 200lbs on the left side. Wondering if one of the rear tires would wear more quickly?

Reactions: jsight
I have the stock 19 inch on a July 2021 y. Both back tires have had side wall cuts and leaks. I have a stone road which 18 other homes share and No one has had an issue
1500 miles and I need new tires.
Need better tires for an suv not high speed race tires.
Suggestions

I have the stock 19 inch on a July 2021 y. Both back tires have had side wall cuts and leaks. I have a stone road which 18 other homes share and No one has had an issue
1500 miles and I need new tires.
Need better tires for an suv not high speed race tires.
Suggestions
Get better luck?

I could recommend other tires, but tbh I don't think the stock 19" Continentals are bad. If I had to replace them right now, I'd probably get continental dws, but I don't think they are tougher or anything like that.

roblab: I appreciate your post, but can you tell me on what authority you say "Tesla drive trains are as tough as any out there."????...and how this tread depth difference would NOT be a problem, other than your own experience (was it on a 4 wheel drive Tesla???)_

I'm seeking technical advice, though, not a single data point. Of COURSE I wouldn't notice a difference from the driver's seat, but I'm NOT inside the differential, with 2 axles spinning at 2 different speeds, with unknown consequences. I want to know, from someone who knows MORE than you or I, how much tread difference is tolerable. TireRack says 2/32" is their limit.

Your comment "I won't believe you" says it all about your perspective, and attitude. This comment makes me doubt your advice.
Hey, you are welcome to believe the tire guys, but my experience has shown that they are primarily interested in selling you a tire, and secondarily, they are not all that highly trained or, may I suggest, intelligent, or they wouldn't be working at a tire shop. And yes, my car is 4WD.

Every time the car turns, the outer tires have to turn faster to cover more linear feet than the inner tires. It happens all the time when you drive, and the limited slip differential handles it. If Tesla cars wore out their differentials faster than "any" other "out there", you'd hear of it, but they don't. If one tire has even a pound or two difference in pressure, the tires change in size and rotate at different rates. Axles ALWAYS turn at different speeds, and the differential allows this. It's standard. And Tesla differentials work just like Ford or Chevy or Toyota differentials. Tesla differentials are as tough as any out there, or they'd be out of business.

As to tread depth, Tire Rack is telling you what they consider safe for wet weather traction. As the tread depth gets smaller, the wet weather traction gets worse, but look at drag strip cars: They run with very large slick tires. For Traction. In dry weather.

What I'm saying is that different tread depths on different tires make absolutely NO difference in the driving experience, but of course a low tread depth will affect how well the tire throws water away. You can drive a car with varying pressures, indeed MOST cars drive with unequal pressures because the average driver never checks his pressure, but no one notices. It just is not that much of a deal.

Just for giggles, why don't you have a neighbor fill your tires a couple pounds fuller except for one. Then see if you can tell which one it is without looking at your pressure display.

I may not know as much about TIRES as a "tire guy", but I'd bet I know more than 90% of them. Sorry if that "attitude" bothers you.

roblab:

So, you're telling me it's my imagination that my car, in a wide open parking lot, no steering input, kept going in circles when I replaced only one tire on my rear axle? You're going to tell me that 2/32" difference in tread depth isn't causing this problem?

You said you wouldn't believe me. I totally believe that. I hope you don't believe me, because what I just said was total BS.

You're actually preaching to the choir, because I know more than 91% of the "tire guys", so there!!! 😭 😭 😭 😭 😭 How's THAT for attitude???

• Funny
Reactions: jsight
“Hey, you are welcome to believe the tire guys, but my experience has shown that they are primarily interested in selling you a tire, and secondarily, they are not all that highly trained or, may I suggest, intelligent, or they wouldn't be working at a tire shop.”

“I may not know as much about TIRES as a "tire guy", but I'd bet I know more than 90% of them. Sorry if that "attitude" bothers you.”
Seems like the bigger issue with your advice is taking it from someone who feels the need to talk down on others. How does ones profession lead you to make definitive statements on their overall intelligence?

Really doesn’t matter how right or wrong you are if that is how you treat other people 🙄

Reactions: KJD and artnalex
(FYI, I've had 3 sets of Continental DWS, various cars/sizes. After about 25k miles, every set got noisy, almost to the point of being unusable.)
Interesting, the last time I drove that car with the dws in the interstate, I was shocked by how loud the tires were.

I attributed it to me getting accustomed to the relatively quiet Y, but now that you mention it, I think it has ~20k on those tires.

I did really like them when new though. Worked well enough even for some light snow in that rwd car.

This is a forum, every single word here is an anecdote and not backed by a data set. My personal anecdote is my 2018 Model 3 Performance. I have a set of the 20” PS4S and 18” winter Sottozero’s. Each and every tire is a different tread depth. I drive in town, on the freeway, and 1/8th mile drag. I have had ZERO issues, I don’t feel a difference, I don’t see a difference, and the car is working great. I have 40k miles and have had varying tread depths since about the first 5k miles with my first double blowout on the freeway from a deep pothole. I don’t think there is any issue with even 5/32” difference on Tesla dual motors. If there is, then the data is hiding.

• Helpful
Reactions: SPACE_EX
Just as a data point I replaced a sidewall damaged tire with a used one I had as a spare 6/32 on the new spare 3/32 on the other side. I noticed no pulling or drifting. I plan on getting a new set fairly soon and keeping the spare as a spare.

This is an argument that has raged on internet auto forums since they began in the 90's, believe me I know. Differentials are designed for speed differences between two sides, period. They don't care why. Could there be a problem from a constant speed difference? Yes, but as roblab mentioned it could be for a myriad of reasons and is unlikely to cause a major problem.
Tire places want to sell tires, manufactures want to shield themselves from warranty claims and lawsuits. If you feel better doing two, go ahead. There is no "right" answer to this question, just what makes you feel better in your situation.