TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Replacing Panoramic Roof Rubber Seal

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by wildtigg3r, Aug 17, 2016.

1. wildtigg3r

wildtigg3r Member

Hi everyone,

I wasn't able to find anything related to what I'm encountering so I'm posting this to see if anyone has any info to share.

My car is n the service center for the past few days to have some issues taken care of. 1) interior rattles and creaks, 2) rattle/creak on driver seal belt mechanism, 3) wheel realignment, 4) replace tear rubber seal on panoramic roof due to tear and not sitting flush to the roof.

Regarding the rubber seal for the panoramic roof, I was told by the service rep that they will need to cut and replace the fixed glass (glass top that doesn't move) to replace the seals. Has anyone experienced this as well? I would think it would be easy to replace the seal and not need to cut or replace the fixed glass top.

Thanks for your input.

2. SDRick

SDRick Member

Can't see why the fixed glass has anything to do with it, but I have been wrong before.

3. BertL

BertL Active Member

OP, sorry to hear that. Sounds like a design decision that didn't take maintenance and cost into account (sorta like the cost to replace a MX windshield -- yikes). Every time I wash my MS, I look at those pano seals wondering how long they'll last. These sort of reports bother me, and it's why I purchased an ESA even with its $200 deductible, the day after I took delivery -- providing me hopefully a better financial alternative beginning the day warranty runs out. I only hope Tesla and Elon have learned lessons, so M3 does not have the same sort of exorbitant processes and therefore costs involved with repairs. With it's price point, future M3 owners who want to keep their vehicles longer than base warranty, won't put up with these sort of things after the initial rush of pre-orders are delivered and competitive alternatives become available.

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  4. BertL

BertL Active Member

IMHO the "Dislike Button" can be ambiguous as to what someone means.

No disrespect meant, but @jaguar36, for my own understanding is your dislike of my previous post:
    • Focused on the original failure the OP cited and the rather complex repair action taking place, OR
    • My thoughts suggesting I hope Tesla focuses even more on easier and therefore less costly maintenance of future vehicles designed for the more cost-conscious masses, OR
    • Maybe something else?

5. jaguar36

jaguar36 Member

I dislike the whole concept of not having nice things because they might break and replacing them will be expensive. The pano roof is awesome, as is the X windshield.

In addition you don't know the complexity of the repair that is required, and are making gross assumptions about both the design, and repair.

• Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
  6. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

There's a dislike button? My goodness, who cares? lol

7. Daniel 74

Daniel 74 Active Member

I've also had the fixed glass replaced in order to replace the rubber seal, as have others at the Amsterdam servicecenter. The repair was done under warranty (nov. 2013 p85).

The invoice stated the material of the seal was changed from butyl in urethane.

8. SDRick

SDRick Member

So perhaps the replacement of the fixed sunroof seal is not a requirement to fix the main sunroof seal but perhaps Tesla thought it was more efficient to replace both at once due to the new urethane material?

9. omarsultan

omarsultan Active Member

Mine is also going in tomorrow for the pano seal - its being handled under ESA, but will be curious what they do.

O

10. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Wait. To replace the weather seals on the roof they have to destroy and replace the glass?!? Weather seals are wear items that degrade over time and will need replaced.

Owning a Model S outside of warranty is looking less and less attractive.

• Like x 2
  11. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

Not destroy and replace the glass. It looks like they have to remove the fixed glass (cut if from the existing seal) to replace the seal.
    I've had sunroofs for years on all of my cars and never had to have a seal replaced. They are quite durable if designed and installed properly. My 17 year old Land Rover has two sunroofs (plus two fixed glass roof panels) and never a problem with any of them in spite of it spending most of its time outside.

12. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

No, I think you misunderstood. That's not really what was claimed:
    I've had sunroof seals replaced twice on previous vehicles. It's definitely a thing that happens.

13. PtG62901

PtG62901 Member

I agree it is cool, I wasn't going to get a Pano Roof, until I sat in the car, then wow! I don't like having a sun roof, but man it is cool. Ordered one.

They designed something with a seal, that can't be pulled out and seal replaced, without having a new part too? That is a design mistake. Assuming the cars don't self destruct before 8 years, and the ESA running out, it is going to cost a fortune to replace those seals. And because they are exposed to the elements, they will need to be replaced.

Hopefully, they have corrected this defect in later models.

14. mspohr

mspohr Active Member

It's a rubber seal. Not expensive. Just remove the glass and replace the seal. Any glass shop can do this... they do it every day.

15. ApauloThirteen

Hi,

What month/year is your car? It looks like they redesigned in Jun 2015. Maybe that fixed the problem. Realize it might not impact you, but it's nice to know they're reacting / improving.

New Panoramic Roof - Good news/bad news

Thanks.

16. Daniel 74

Daniel 74 Active Member

I've attached the text in the service invoice with regard to the seal replacement:

image.png

• Informative x 2
  17. miggz410

miggz410 Member

My delivery was delayed a day a month ago due to the pano rubber seal needs to be replaced... Luckily my DS notice during their final walkthrough a couple hours before my delivery appointment.

18. Gizmotoy

Gizmotoy Active Member

Hmm. The text there seems to confirm that the fixed glass needs to be replaced along with the seals, but the part name is perhaps less definitive. Did the SC tell you they replaced the glass to fix the seal?

Edit: Oops, missed your previous post. The answer was "yes".

I don't even want to think about what its going to cost to replace that seal outside of warranty.

19. BertL

BertL Active Member

Be careful. You may get a "dislike" as I did for suggesting the same earlier in this thread. :)

• Like x 1
  20. trils0n

trils0n 2013 P85

I've had both the moving and fixed glass removed 3 or 4 times to try to fix pano roof wind noise and creaks and rattles over the years. As far as I know, replace means take out and put back (replace). Replace doesn't mean take out and throw away and put a new glass in.