Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing Panoramic Roof Rubber Seal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update to my original post. Haven't been on the forum for awhile.

After the service center worked on my car, all they did was take out the fixed glass, removed the old seal, put in the new seal, and put the fixed glass back. trils0n was right. No new fixed glass was provided. It just seems confusing when they said they had to cut out the glass and replace it.

I guess the seal is permanently glued to the fixed glass and in order to replace the seal, the fixed glass has to be removed. What a pain!

After the service center worked on my car, all they did was take out the fixed glass, removed the old seal, put in the new seal, and put the fixed glass back. trils0n was right. No new fixed glass was provided. It just seems confusing when they said they had to cut out the glass and replace it.

I guess the seal is permanently glued to the fixed glass and in order to replace the seal, the fixed glass has to be removed. What a pain!
Thx for the confirmation. I stared at my pano after reading this a few days ago and noticed exactly what you found -- part of the seals are glued to the glass, others don't seem to be. Unsure if there is a better solution, but definitely a PIA form something exposed to the elements and likely won't last for the life of the car.

Last edited:

Good news. It sounded so ridiculous, but several users reported the same thing. Glad to hear it.

These are the kinds of threads that made me decide not to get a pano roof, I'm very happy with my decision

These are the kinds of threads that made me decide not to get a pano roof, I'm very happy with my decision
Ah, having had a moonroof in my last two SUVs and multiple hardtop convertibles sitting along side it in my garage for more than 14 years, consolidating to my MS meant a pano was the way I had to go without question. I'm glad I did, as I enjoy having the open view above my head all the time.

But I too, read many of the threads questioning longer-term reliability with some of these options, and perhaps prohibitive costs of repair, so I included an 8-year ESA in my total cost of ownership budgeting, then purchased it the day after I took delivery. At least if I have a problem post-warranty, my max out of pocket will be $200 per thing to get it repaired. There are different priorities and decisions for each of us, which is great. I'm glad we have those options available.

Reactions: GasKilla
Hi everyone,

I wasn't able to find anything related to what I'm encountering so I'm posting this to see if anyone has any info to share.

My car is n the service center for the past few days to have some issues taken care of. 1) interior rattles and creaks, 2) rattle/creak on driver seal belt mechanism, 3) wheel realignment, 4) replace tear rubber seal on panoramic roof due to tear and not sitting flush to the roof.

Regarding the rubber seal for the panoramic roof, I was told by the service rep that they will need to cut and replace the fixed glass (glass top that doesn't move) to replace the seals. Has anyone experienced this as well? I would think it would be easy to replace the seal and not need to cut or replace the fixed glass top.

Thanks for your input.
The weather stripping around my glass roof got chewed up by a bird on my early 16 S. Tesla must have used some tasty rubber. Tesla wants $1860 to replace the rubber out of warranty but my comprehensive insurance should cover but the $500 deductible. Why in the world they designed it to require a new piece of fixed glass I will never know. I am thinking of selling the car, the service costs are totally unreasonable.

The yellowed DRL was $1500 and a windshield was $1600.

WARNING!!!!!!! Go over everything on your car before the warranty expires.

I have been having an issue with my roof glass
the rubber stripping around it has failed
both sides and the front
I have taken it in to the service center three times for this issue, and grinding noise when opening and closing They stated they did a service on the sunroof and all is well. but not documented.
they will not put this down on the service records that i had it in for this concern
i was told that it would cost 3000 to replace including the glass. They sent me a email for me to approve to continue
The service manager said that the adhesive failed, then said it was a wear item and not covered on my CPO warranty
This really looks horrible, and I am concerned on water entering the cabin
Why wont Tesla honor this? I see many of you have had this corrected by Tesla.
What can I do?

4th time to tesla, and they replaced the rear glass seal under CPO warranty. Car has 72000 miles. Covered till 99000 miles.The glass has to be replaced as Tesla says it its attached to the panel
Very pleased that this was covered as the expense would have been over 3000.00
Waiting to get the car back to enjoy my ride again

Just bought a ‘16 model S. Under warranty. Brought it in for airbag recall and they recommended to “replace panoramic fixed glass seal” that was apparently torn. Said it wasn’t covered under warranty and wanted $1300 to replace torn seal. I don’t understand how owning a car for 6 weeks, with 24k miles needs a $1300 seal that’s not apparently covered by warranty. Any suggestions? Fight Tesla to cover this, get quotes from glass shop? Lastly, after returning home it appears there is absolutely no seal between rear windshield and fixed pano glass...Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• 65BDC1D3-4646-4D5B-8523-72B300B17683.jpeg
    65BDC1D3-4646-4D5B-8523-72B300B17683.jpeg
    239.7 KB · Views: 356
  • 8474347F-23DA-43FE-988B-4A2175ABD5AF.jpeg
    8474347F-23DA-43FE-988B-4A2175ABD5AF.jpeg
    456.1 KB · Views: 273
  • 77124C11-9415-4F84-B2BC-CBCE41A4599A.jpeg
    77124C11-9415-4F84-B2BC-CBCE41A4599A.jpeg
    349.6 KB · Views: 277
I just stumbled across this Post. - Thanks Reilley for your recent post to bring it up again!
I have a 2012 with Pano. I just recently noticed I have water coming down the right rear "C" post when I hand wash the car.
Not sure if it happens when driving in the rain, as it just became apparent, and I don't sit in the back to notice before this discovery.
I noticed it first when vacuuming the car - the interior "C" post cover was damp. I pulled the cover off and could see traces where water has been, but really can;t trace it to the origin, as it start to go into the headliner, and pulling it down for a peak is getting into the "damaging" zone.
When the car was last in the SC, they of course could not replicate it.
The seals themselves look good - not visible damage from wear or birds as talked about by prior posts.
I do not have any wind noise either.

Q: Does or has anyone else had water coming down their right rear "C" post? It is just a trickle, not major water, but no water should be coming in!

I just stumbled across this Post. - Thanks Reilley for your recent post to bring it up again!
I have a 2012 with Pano. I just recently noticed I have water coming down the right rear "C" post when I hand wash the car.
Not sure if it happens when driving in the rain, as it just became apparent, and I don't sit in the back to notice before this discovery.
I noticed it first when vacuuming the car - the interior "C" post cover was damp. I pulled the cover off and could see traces where water has been, but really can;t trace it to the origin, as it start to go into the headliner, and pulling it down for a peak is getting into the "damaging" zone.
When the car was last in the SC, they of course could not replicate it.
The seals themselves look good - not visible damage from wear or birds as talked about by prior posts.
I do not have any wind noise either.

Q: Does or has anyone else had water coming down their right rear "C" post? It is just a trickle, not major water, but no water should be coming in!
Just a bump to see if anyone else has the right rear "c" issue.

Just a bump to see if anyone else has the right rear "c" issue.
I found this thread by searching the rear fixed glass seal.
I just bought my 2014 P85+ today me looked at it last week at the Tesla dealer cause the car had a new drive unit put in under warranty.
We test drove the car and I opened the roof and when I closed it, I could hear air leaking in. When we got back to the dealer the service people came out and looked at it. The front part had come unglued and rolled forward when the sunroof was closing and that’s where the air came from.
I say in the car and closed the roof until almost shut and the tech pushed front part of the seal back towards the front of the rear glass and the sunroof shut fine. They said it wasn’t a big deal to fix and probably a few hundred for the seal and an hour labor.
the sides of the seal on the driver side was pushed in and unglued from the roof. I asked about water leaking and they said there’s drain channels under the seals and water wouldn’t leak in.
for a temporary fix all they said I had to do was get some adhesive and put it on the bottom of the front seal, then when the roof closes it should just ride over the seal.
Problem is, it’s such a tight space that I can’t see how to get adhesive in there
If I were able to remove the sliding roof them it would be totally easy. I see there’s 4 bolts holding the roof on. Wondering if I took those bolts off if the roof will just lift off.
If the fix is truly $300 or so, I’d gladly just have them replace the seal, but from reading this thread of up to 3k to replace it, then I’d just try to adhesive the front part back on.

Reactions: elee888