Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing Rear Glass after Stress Crack Formed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The hue is mainly visible with a light mist or rain and you would def notice, it's quite a spectacle. The full glass will have the coating just more pronounced with the section that is tinted. If you tint the glass it will be uniform.

I’ve seen 3 different versions of Model 3 UV coating.

The most common is what my car has - only the roof portion has the coating.

Early on, I saw Model 3s with UV coating on the roof and the back glass, but only the darkened/tinted section.

At an EV show in Annapolis, I saw a Model 3 with the coating on the roof and the entire rear glass. I’ve only seen one car like that.

FE56844E-A047-42CC-8DA4-83B4B372DF76.jpeg

This top picture illustrates all three. The near vehicle has the rare full coating. The next one the coating only on the top piece of glass. The far one only has the coating on the roof and the on the tinted section of the back glass.

1D018D15-EA20-404C-A8EC-0E3A80368C65.jpeg
770ABFE6-B9D3-43B7-AF14-C0F5BDAB116A.jpeg
976A470F-7BEA-42DB-8463-162AC91C0C9B.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: KenC and 1deepthink
I’ve seen 3 different versions of Model 3 UV coating.

The most common is what my car has - only the roof portion has the coating.

Early on, I saw Model 3s with UV coating on the roof and the back glass, but only the darkened/tinted section.

At an EV show in Annapolis, I saw a Model 3 with the coating on the roof and the entire rear glass. I’ve only seen one car like that.

View attachment 406942

This top picture illustrates all three. The near vehicle has the rare full coating. The next one the coating only on the top piece of glass. The far one only has the coating on the roof and the on the tinted section of the back glass.

View attachment 406943 View attachment 406944 View attachment 406945
Earlier builds had the full uv coating just noticable on the factory tinted section. For those with aftermarket tint that will illuminate the bottom portion as well making the entire glass light up so there are only 2 types of glass, those with the coating and those without. It's what I currently have but when my window was tinted he destroyed the defrost lines in a few areas so I need to replace the glass. I am hesitant bc the replacements do not have the orange hue but may just have to settle. Its unfortunate bc the glass really stands out.

Here you go!
PANORAMIC BACKLIT GLASS ASSEMBLY -
M3 (1083204-99-F)

It could be this is from an earlier batch, but its hard to know without access to Tesla's internal parts catalogue. The only thing I see online is an online parts listing which lists both your part number, and my part number as compatible.

Used ⭐ 2017-2019 Tesla Model 3 Rear Windshield Panoramic Backlit Window Glass Oem for Sale | Part # 1083204-99-F / 108320499-F / 108320499F

• Placement on Vehicle: Rear.
  • Manufacturer Part Number: 1083204-99-F / 108320499-F / 108320499F. <-- your part number (in bold) with UV hue.
  • STOCK J: 73043.
  • Other Part Number: 1472925-00-A / 147292500-A / 147292500A. <-- my part number (in bold) without UV hue.

• Informative
Reactions: Big Earl
Just found my stress fracture this morning. Ugh. Will see how long replacement takes. Also on lower edge back window. 4" long.

UPDATE: Called my local SC after app gave me apt 2 weeks from now. He moved it up to a week from Tuesday. Requires 6-8 hrs cure. Will provide a loaner. My SC in Syosset NY has always been awesome.

Last edited:
I noticed the stress cracks in mine on the lower left side about a month ago. I took it in and they said it was warranty covered. I scheduled an appointment and took it in again, only to be told they had no glass inventory and did not have an ETA for when it would be ready. They said it could take weeks to even months. It's early June and I've noticed that the crack now extends to the other side (left to right) or another crack has started on the right side. I scheduled another appointment (tried calling several times but was not able to get through to service) for next week clearly explaining the issue. I'm hopeful that they will prioritize my replacement since the crack now spans a significant portion of the rear glass panel. I'm also hoping they can install the spoiler when I'm there as I've also had one false start on that one, when they canceled my appoint after realizing the initial batch of spoilers were no good.

My experience with them hasn't been negative. But it has also sucked up a lot of my time. I've thought about purchasing an X as a family car but am concerned about issues like this that more than anything just take time (contact, drop off, no inventory, etc.). I'm going to wait to see how this all plays out, then probably wait a few more months, before I think about taking the plunge on another Tesla.

I noticed the stress cracks in mine on the lower left side about a month ago. I took it in and they said it was warranty covered. I scheduled an appointment and took it in again, only to be told they had no glass inventory and did not have an ETA for when it would be ready. They said it could take weeks to even months. It's early June and I've noticed that the crack now extends to the other side (left to right) or another crack has started on the right side. I scheduled another appointment (tried calling several times but was not able to get through to service) for next week clearly explaining the issue. I'm hopeful that they will prioritize my replacement since the crack now spans a significant portion of the rear glass panel. I'm also hoping they can install the spoiler when I'm there as I've also had one false start on that one, when they canceled my appoint after realizing the initial batch of spoilers were no good.

My experience with them hasn't been negative. But it has also sucked up a lot of my time. I've thought about purchasing an X as a family car but am concerned about issues like this that more than anything just take time (contact, drop off, no inventory, etc.). I'm going to wait to see how this all plays out, then probably wait a few more months, before I think about taking the plunge on another Tesla.
Same here. I've been waiting a month so far, and they have no ETA on the rear glass. My fracture formed into a full half loop pointing downwards. I still love the car, but it just really chips away at owner morale with each passing week with no status change.

Same here. I've been waiting a month so far, and they have no ETA on the rear glass. My fracture formed into a full half loop pointing downwards. I still love the car, but it just really chips away at owner morale with each passing week with no status change.
Why can't you have a glass co replace it and bill Tesla. If they can not do it within 30 days, I think you would prevail in any argument about it.

Hang tight folks;
Why can't you have a glass co replace it and bill Tesla. If they can not do it within 30 days, I think you would prevail in any argument about it.

If the goal is to resolve the issue in a shorter amount of time, its best to work within Tesla's process. The moment you step out of this process, the longer you can expect to wait. For most of us (myself included) who had their rear glass cracked, the defect was mostly cosmetic and did not cause a leak.

I was fortunate in that I only had to wait a couple of weeks (the length of time it took them to order, receive the glass) and another two days to replace it.

My understanding is that even if I go third party (E.g. Safelite), they need to order the glass from Tesla, who are currently backordered with no ETA on availability. I could be wrong, but I already have one earmarked for me once it becomes available.

It seems odd that Safelite was able to get glass much faster for a gentleman above than Tesla. I will surely call the day before I go for replacement next week to make sure the SC actually has the glass. If so, 1 week to get.

It seems odd that Safelite was able to get glass much faster for a gentleman above than Tesla. I will surely call the day before I go for replacement next week to make sure the SC actually has the glass. If so, 1 week to get.

Safelite was able to get my glass in under a week. It's possibe that they already had it in stock in one of their warehouses - they weren't specific about its origin.

Reactions: docdeb27
@GolanB which SC? I had my rear glass replaced twice at Syosset. First thing due to stress crack, second cause the defroster on the replacement wasnt working.
The new rear glass doesn't have the same orange tint under rain as the original.

@GolanB which SC? I had my rear glass replaced twice at Syosset. First thing due to stress crack, second cause the defroster on the replacement wasnt working.
The new rear glass doesn't have the same orange tint under rain as the original.

I took mine to the SC in Brooklyn on Van Brunt St. Like yours, my rear glass does not have an orange tint.

I have the same issue on my 2 week old model 3. My crack is right on top of the brake light, from the inside. I just noticed it, and initially thought "how didn't I see this scratch in the glass before???"

I gotta hand it to the Tesla Service Center in Brooklyn! -- I texted them a few minutes ago to let them know I lost a wheel cover, and they called me back in 30 seconds and scheduled an appointment first thing tomorrow morning (on my way into the office). If you've got a responsive service center, I would tend to think they'd do their best to take care of you as efficiently as possible.

Screen Shot 2019-06-04 at 5.04.44 PM.png
IMG_D629BC6293F4-1.jpeg

I have the same issue on my 2 week old model 3. My crack is right on top of the brake light, from the inside. I just noticed it, and initially thought "how didn't I see this scratch in the glass before???"
What is your production date/VIN range? I am trying to figure out if the replacement glass and the glass currently being installed on new production is "fixed" in design. I pickup my car in 2 days and went to schedule my tinting for next week. They installer said he would rather not do the back window because of the cracking that has occurred which is how I became aware of the issue. If it is resolved I will inform him. If unknown I will wait to get the tinting done until we know more..