Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing Rear Glass after Stress Crack Formed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a morning drive today, I looked in the rear view, and just about farted when I noticed the stress crack on mine grew clear over to the opposite side (left to right). Either that, or a new one manifested on the other side. I told myself, forget it, I'm gonna drop by the local service center without an appointment and have them evaluate it, to see if any kind of expedite can be put on the glass order (I've been waiting about 1.5 months so far). It was a shot in the dark, but I just wanted to talk to someone in person rather than wait in the silent vacuum that is my text message thread with the regional service rep.

The service manager mentioned they are indeed starting to see backordered parts trickle in now (emphasis on trickle), which was great to hear. Then, she asked when I would like to schedule an appointment to get the roof glass replaced! I had to do a double take to make sure I heard correctly. Appointment set for Tuesday evening dropoff (I also have a door handle and charge port that needs replacing, so perhaps they are taking my car in a little early to get a head start).

On a related note, every time I go into the local service center for something, the folks are friendly, and things downright GET DONE right there and then. The few times I've used the mobile app to request service, the process leaves much to be desired. I suspect mobile service works great for minor requests. I hope Elon/Tesla realizes the value in having a good core of service managers and staff at brick and mortar service center locations to help untangle more complex service requests.

I have the same stress crack of my rear window. It happened middle of April. Text photo to Portland SC and they scheduled an appointment for following week. They confirmed the part would be there the day prior. On day of appointment, they text that the glass didn't show up but wanted me to come in to disconnect the rear defroster so that it wouldn't spread. Told me it'd be about a week. Also said it was the glass manufacturer's issue and they have changed vendors. That was 2 months ago. They completely ignore me know and don't bother returning my texts. The crack has now headed up my rear window so that every time I look in my rear view mirror, I'm reminded of the POS I'm now driving. I LOVE my car but something has got to give. We are Tesla's advertisers and I think they've forgotten that. It takes over 2 months for a glass replacement? Really? What if you're in an accident? Will I be without my car for months on end? This is not right.

I have the same stress crack of my rear window. It happened middle of April. Text photo to Portland SC and they scheduled an appointment for following week. They confirmed the part would be there the day prior. On day of appointment, they text that the glass didn't show up but wanted me to come in to disconnect the rear defroster so that it wouldn't spread. Told me it'd be about a week. Also said it was the glass manufacturer's issue and they have changed vendors. That was 2 months ago. They completely ignore me know and don't bother returning my texts. The crack has now headed up my rear window so that every time I look in my rear view mirror, I'm reminded of the POS I'm now driving. I LOVE my car but something has got to give. We are Tesla's advertisers and I think they've forgotten that. It takes over 2 months for a glass replacement? Really? What if you're in an accident? Will I be without my car for months on end? This is not right.
I waited about 1.5 months (Reported my issue to Tesla at the beginning of May) before the crack on mine grew clear over to the opposite side, and that's when I decided to drop by my local service center this past Saturday to plead my case in-person. To my surprise, they scheduled me for a car dropoff today, and mentioned that they are starting to see parts trickle in slowly now. BTW, I'm in WA, so it is presumable that the PDX service center should be seeing access to more parts now.
I know Tesla makes it strangely hard to reach local service centers by phone or email, so if you are not too far away from your local service center, a surprise visit might help expedite your case.

I have a similar crack on the rear windshield. But the service center sent me an invoice.
I believe it is a stress crack because there is no impact or sign of it.
What do you think?
How can I argue with the service center?

Attachments

• IMG_5925.HEIC.jpg
    IMG_5925.HEIC.jpg
    592.9 KB · Views: 220
This makes me nervous, reading about all these stress cracks. Is this a matter of WHEN, not IF? Were there any changes made to prevent this issue from happening? Feels like I need to check my rear glass out of paranoia...

I wouldn't sweat it; you've gotten a model that likely has this issue resolved already if yours was ordered and built in April of 2019.

My Model 3 AWD had a build date of 5/4/19. The top glass above the driver and rear panoramic assembly both had the normal tint color. Unfortunately, the local tint shop caused an interior hairline crack on the rear assembly. Probably due to overexposing it to a heat gun. They reimbursed me for the damage so the SC replaced it with part number 1083204-99-F. This glass did not have the slightly lighter tint color with orange effect when wet. Upon further inspection I recognized the glass was misaligned, so they replaced it once again with part number 1083204-99-F according to my invoice. This time however there is a slighter variance in color (lighter) when compared to glass above the driver. This new glass also has the orange effect when wet across the entire panel. The orange effect is definitely cool but when the entire roof is dry one can see a difference between both panels in terms of darkness, and of course the lack of orange when wet. Anyhow, I don’t think the SC has a clue what glass originally came with your vehicle, and their systems simply allocate the same part number regardless of the manufacturer.

If you don't mind sharing, what was the amount of the invoice?

I have a similar stress crack. I made a service center appointment to have it fixed along with a taillight replacement. (The tail light allows moisture in and there are a lot of water droplets for a week after rain storms or car washes. It's another known issue widely discussed on forums.)

They sent me an invoice ahead of the appointment asking me to agree to pay $780 for the rear glass replacement. The tail light is apparently covered under warranty. I'm going to push back on the $780 as it seems like a known issue and regularly covered under warranty.
Screen Shot 2019-08-10 at 2.01.38 PM.png

Attachments

• IMG_20190718_193506.jpg
    IMG_20190718_193506.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_20190525_193637.jpg
    IMG_20190525_193637.jpg
    534.4 KB · Views: 111
So, I recently had a crack develop in my rear windshield as well. It started out about 12" and rapidly over a couple days spanned the entire glass.

I called the nearest Tesla Service Center and they gave me an appointment two weeks out (well, scheduled that on the app) but was told that it is not covered.

So, I have three questions for you all, being new to this stuff.
1. How do you reach someone for help? I have had no luck. In fact, the promised return call hasn't happened yet either.
2. How did you get them to agree to cover the glass replacement at no cost?
3. Must it be done at a Tesla Service Center? I am 2+ hours from the nearest one, not exactly convenient, although I can do it if need be.

Thanks in advance.