Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing shocks and struts on a 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

timk225

Mar 24, 2016
Pittsburgh
I've never heard much about replacing the shocks and struts on a 3. Any certain maintenance mileage interval for them? Anyone ever done it, and at how many miles? My 3 has almost 54,000 miles on all original suspension and seems to be doing fine.

I haven't seen anything myself from Tesla yet, but knowing how their prices typically work i wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't too much more money to just get legit coilovers installed when the stock ones eventually go. Better ride quality, better handling, rebuildable and you can lower the car if desired.

I only have about 30,000 miles on my 2018 LR RWD Model 3 but after hearing an odd noise, coming from the rear wheel well, it was found that both rear shocks were leaking and needed replacement. My car is lowered, only an inch, on TSportline springs but the Tesla Service Center replaced both rear shocks as an under warranty repair (no questions asked). I thought the noise would have been taken care of but oddly it seems to have gotten a bit worse. I hear it pulling into driveways, going over speed bumps, and even making left turns (not right turns from what I can tell, or can hear). Does anyone know what the noise can be? I assume it’s something with the rear suspension, but have no clue, and it’s a bit concerning to me. I have another appointment in a week with the service center. Any help with what it could be is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Devon

I only have about 30,000 miles on my 2018 LR RWD Model 3 but after hearing an odd noise, coming from the rear wheel well, it was found that both rear shocks were leaking and needed replacement. My car is lowered, only an inch, on TSportline springs but the Tesla Service Center replaced both rear shocks as an under warranty repair (no questions asked). I thought the noise would have been taken care of but oddly it seems to have gotten a bit worse. I hear it pulling into driveways, going over speed bumps, and even making left turns (not right turns from what I can tell, or can hear). Does anyone know what the noise can be? I assume it’s something with the rear suspension, but have no clue, and it’s a bit concerning to me. I have another appointment in a week with the service center. Any help with what it could be is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Devon

Not much to the shocks in the rear because they aren't coilovers and they aren't struts. They are very easy to remove and replace, so I don't think there's much there to squeak on such a new car (not like it's a 50 year old classic car). It's probably something else in your case. Maybe a sway bar bushing or links, if you have a rear sway bar on your car. No way to diagnose over a forum with the limited info though.

I had a rear shock go bad at 30K, otherwise no issues. It was leaking and making a knocking noise. All stock.

Usually suspension goes about 100K before it starts to lose its pep and needs replacement. And I mean "needs" only for the enthusiasts, as most people probably wouldn't notice unless the suspension is totally blown and bouncing.

Suspension is one of those things people ignore, but they get weak and degrade the quality of the ride. All things equal, it is one of the cheapest bang-for-the-buck things you can do to a higher mileage vehicle to make it drive and feel like new again.
80k miles is my number. By then, the quality of the ride is poor enough to really feel a difference.
Now, some people will tell you the suspension is lifetime and only needs to be replaced if it fails outright. This is likely why nearly all higher-mileage used cars ride like garbage compared to new.

Not much to the shocks in the rear because they aren't coilovers and they aren't struts. They are very easy to remove and replace, so I don't think there's much there to squeak on such a new car (not like it's a 50 year old classic car). It's probably something else in your case. Maybe a sway bar bushing or links, if you have a rear sway bar on your car. No way to diagnose over a forum with the limited info though.
Thanks for the response @TLLMRRJ. Yah, other than the 1" drop I don't have any additional mods for lowering/suspension or anything. I just wanted a better place for Tesla to look/diagnose the issue. Could it be the springs themselves making the noise? I know it's impossible to tell me on a forum. Haha.

As an aside, how do you like your Mountain Pass Comfort Coilovers? I was considering those before opting for the more "budget friendly" springs option. :)

Thanks for the response @TLLMRRJ. Yah, other than the 1" drop I don't have any additional mods for lowering/suspension or anything. I just wanted a better place for Tesla to look/diagnose the issue. Could it be the springs themselves making the noise? I know it's impossible to tell me on a forum. Haha.

As an aside, how do you like your Mountain Pass Comfort Coilovers? I was considering those before opting for the more "budget friendly" springs option. :)

For me, the MPP kits prevented me from selling the car. I need a more refined suspension than the stock setup (problem with getting older and having more expensive tastes and comfort requirements). I love the way the MPP soaks up the road i perfections and bumps. I don’t drive all wild, so I can’t comment on how it compares on the limit. The lowering is mild, but has a European sport sedan stance now. Worth the money and effort for me.

For me, the MPP kits prevented me from selling the car. I need a more refined suspension than the stock setup (problem with getting older and having more expensive tastes and comfort requirements). I love the way the MPP soaks up the road i perfections and bumps. I don’t drive all wild, so I can’t comment on how it compares on the limit. The lowering is mild, but has a European sport sedan stance now. Worth the money and effort for me.
Glad to hear you like them! I bought the whole bundle (toe-links, trailing arms, yadayada) with the sport shocks; hoping the lighter settings will make me happy on the street.