Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing Springs (alone) on the 2022 Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi. I have read many posts about the full coilover suspension replacement for Model Y (MPP, Ohlins & UPP). I don't want to burn my pocket too much just yet so was wondering if anyone replaced just the springs and got a better ride quality. The ones I am specifically looking are:

MPP: Does not seem to sell springs alone - you have to get the full kit for around 3K

Thanks for your feedback in advance.

What about the ride do you not like?

As best I can tell, most of the ride quality and handling issues of the Model Y and 3 stem from very cheap, crappy dampers. The spring rates aren't extreme. I suggest saving the money towards upgraded dampers / coilovers, if better ride and/or better handling is your goal.

If you just want to lower for the look of it, then lowering springs are the cheap ticket. You'll likely make the ride worse though, not better. I remember being behind a lowered Model 3 on the highway and watching it bounce coming out of a dip. When I saw that I knew they were just on lowering springs with the factory dampers.

(I'm not always against replacement springs. There are cars with good damping from the factory, where a mild change in spring rate alone can pair well and achieve a useful, functional effect in handling or ride. The Model Y and 3 are not such a car, at least not the 2021 models I've driven.)