Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing Stereo on 2.0 Single Din

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They're using a typical ISO harness on the 1.5 which VW uses, most likely the same with the 2.x's.

Nakamichi CD400 Head Unit swap for the Blaupunkt - Speakers came alive and sound

Just a warning, I bought this and spliced it to my alpine harness on my 2.0 . I did it before I pulled the dash on the car to save time.
Of course, after pulling the dash it was clear Tesla completely changed the wiring harness connector for 2.0. So to solve, I just
took the old JVC harness that jumped the JVC to the roadster and spliced that to the alpine harness (once I decoded
the colors on both sides). I soldered and shrink-tubed each connection.
Worked perfect and did not modify the tesla wiring harness. So at least for my 2.0, the harness on the tesla side is not the same as 1.5.

Which radio do you have currently? If you rrrplace a jvc with a jvc, it should use the same connector.

I have a jvc single din with nav, yeah I think going back to jvc might be a safe bet.

Do you guys know where if even possible you can buy spare parts to refurbish the original jvc unit? I found out I may need a Ribbon Cable for the KD-NX5000 that the car came with.

I have a jvc single din with nav, yeah I think going back to jvc might be a safe bet.

Do you guys know where if even possible you can buy spare parts to refurbish the original jvc unit? I found out I may need a Ribbon Cable for the KD-NX5000 that the car came with.
I replaced my base jvc unit with the KD-NX5000 and I don't remember any sort of ribbon cable. What's the actual problem you're trying to solve?

I'm about to do a replacement on my radio as well and am going to go with the about-to-be-released Pioneer Carplay/Android Auto unit. Some benefits

-- Android Auto / Carplay is likely a more integrated experience with your phone than you'll get out of the box
-- Single DIN unit with 7" capacitive touchscreen

I haven't had it installed yet so I don't know if it fits and it's considerably more expensive than the JVC. Just wanted to give the data point though that it's about to come out (end of this week actually I think).

I'm about to do a replacement on my radio as well and am going to go with the about-to-be-released Pioneer Carplay/Android Auto unit. Some benefits

-- Android Auto / Carplay is likely a more integrated experience with your phone than you'll get out of the box
-- Single DIN unit with 7" capacitive touchscreen

I haven't had it installed yet so I don't know if it fits and it's considerably more expensive than the JVC. Just wanted to give the data point though that it's about to come out (end of this week actually I think).
I have the prior Pioneer single DIN popup. Been happy with it except that it does not support Android Auto/Carplay :)

Any issues with it hitting any of the stalks when it pops out?
Yes, I have the pop up Pioneer in my 2.0. If you close it, it hits the wiper stalk when it is in the off position. So if you want to close it (which I don't do very often) you have to turn the wipers to the on/up position. I changed the stereo head unit primarily so that I could have a back up camera installed (2nd picture). I don't mind the 2 vents being blocked; I have enough warmth in winter and the A/C is great in summer with the remaining vents. Happy to answer specific questions about the apps and what works well and what doesn't.

upload_2017-7-26_22-45-25.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-26_22-39-10.png
    upload_2017-7-26_22-39-10.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 69
  • Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
happen to have a link to the backup camera you purchased?

thanks!

Yes, I have the pop up Pioneer in my 2.0. If you close it, it hits the wiper stalk when it is in the off position. So if you want to close it (which I don't do very often) you have to turn the wipers to the on/up position. I changed the stereo head unit primarily so that I could have a back up camera installed (2nd picture). I don't mind the 2 vents being blocked; I have enough warmth in winter and the A/C is great in summer with the remaining vents. Happy to answer specific questions about the apps and what works well and what doesn't.

View attachment 237943

@hurd300403 I don't know the model, but if you need it I can ask the place that did the installation what they used. I think it is just a basic camera that is hooked to the video input of the Pioneer. It is placed where the red arrow is on the photo.
View attachment 238814

perfect, thanks! I already bought that exact same pioneer and am planning to have it installed next month. can't wait!