TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Replacing Stereo on 2.0 Single Din

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by LP925, Jul 25, 2017.

1. LP925

LP925 Member

2. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

No, but I will mention that T-sportline can upgrade your dashboard to double-din. We had it done and I'm very happy.

3. LP925

LP925 Member

just looked them up, they are in LA, I'm in the bay lol

I don't mind buying this basic one but just want to make sure i buy the right adapter for it to work on the car.

4. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

5. ion_1

ion_1 Member

Just a warning, I bought this and spliced it to my alpine harness on my 2.0 . I did it before I pulled the dash on the car to save time.
    Of course, after pulling the dash it was clear Tesla completely changed the wiring harness connector for 2.0. So to solve, I just
    took the old JVC harness that jumped the JVC to the roadster and spliced that to the alpine harness (once I decoded
    the colors on both sides). I soldered and shrink-tubed each connection.
    Worked perfect and did not modify the tesla wiring harness. So at least for my 2.0, the harness on the tesla side is not the same as 1.5.

• Informative x 2
  6. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

Which radio do you have currently? If you rrrplace a jvc with a jvc, it should use the same connector.

7. LP925

LP925 Member

I have a jvc single din with nav, yeah I think going back to jvc might be a safe bet.

Do you guys know where if even possible you can buy spare parts to refurbish the original jvc unit? I found out I may need a Ribbon Cable for the KD-NX5000 that the car came with.

8. supersnoop

supersnoop Tesla Roadster #334

I replaced my base jvc unit with the KD-NX5000 and I don't remember any sort of ribbon cable. What's the actual problem you're trying to solve?

9. LP925

LP925 Member

Trying to get picture and sound to work, had a tech look at it and he said may be the ribbon cable that is at the bottom when you tilt it

10. Delius

Delius New Member

I'm about to do a replacement on my radio as well and am going to go with the about-to-be-released Pioneer Carplay/Android Auto unit. Some benefits

-- Android Auto / Carplay is likely a more integrated experience with your phone than you'll get out of the box
    -- Single DIN unit with 7" capacitive touchscreen

I haven't had it installed yet so I don't know if it fits and it's considerably more expensive than the JVC. Just wanted to give the data point though that it's about to come out (end of this week actually I think).

11. bpangburn

bpangburn Member

I have the prior Pioneer single DIN popup. Been happy with it except that it does not support Android Auto/Carplay :)

12. Casey_S

Casey_S Member

Any issues with it hitting any of the stalks when it pops out?

13. ViviV

ViviV Member

Yes, I have the pop up Pioneer in my 2.0. If you close it, it hits the wiper stalk when it is in the off position. So if you want to close it (which I don't do very often) you have to turn the wipers to the on/up position. I changed the stereo head unit primarily so that I could have a back up camera installed (2nd picture). I don't mind the 2 vents being blocked; I have enough warmth in winter and the A/C is great in summer with the remaining vents. Happy to answer specific questions about the apps and what works well and what doesn't.

upload_2017-7-26_22-45-25.png

Attached Files:

• Informative x 1
  14. hurd300403

hurd300403 Member

happen to have a link to the backup camera you purchased?

thanks!

15. ViviV

ViviV Member

@hurd300403 I don't know the model, but if you need it I can ask the place that did the installation what they used. I think it is just a basic camera that is hooked to the video input of the Pioneer. It is placed where the red arrow is on the photo.
    upload_2017-7-30_20-54-18.png

• Informative x 1
  16. hurd300403

hurd300403 Member

perfect, thanks! I already bought that exact same pioneer and am planning to have it installed next month. can't wait!