Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing summer wheels/tires- any special instructions for tire shop?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am replacing my summer tires and wheels on my Tesla model 3 performance model with newly purchased mounted 19" winter Replika 241 wheels and Michelin XICE 3 winter tires. I have always changed over my winter and summer tires and wheels for my previous Acura's and BMW's at my local Acura dealership because of the great service and price.

Are there any special instructions that I have to tell the Acura service department for changing over my Tesla model 3 winter wheels and tires because of the placement and location of the Tesla's batteries underneath the car?

I am replacing my summer tires and wheels on my Tesla model 3 performance model with newly purchased mounted 19" winter Replika 241 wheels and Michelin XICE 3 winter tires. I have always changed over my winter and summer tires and wheels for my previous Acura's and BMW's at my local Acura dealership because of the great service and price.

Are there any special instructions that I have to tell the Acura service department for changing over my Tesla model 3 winter wheels and tires because of the placement and location of the Tesla's batteries underneath the car?

Possibly, look in the manual for hoist or jack points. I'm not sure if standard hoists work with this car without an adapter to be used with the jack points or not...

There is a bolt that holds the rotor in place. If the new wheels do not have a recess for the bolt, the bolt can be removed as the lug nuts will hold the rotor in place.

Wait, what? Suggesting removing hardware associated with brakes? I wouldn't recommend removing anything hardware wise when it comes to brakes or wheels. You really don't want either thing to fail...

Model 3 Jacking Points

Wait, what? Suggesting removing hardware associated with brakes? I wouldn't recommend removing anything hardware wise when it comes to brakes or wheels. You really don't want either thing to fail...

Many posts of people removing the bolt to install winter wheels. Relax. It does not affect the performance of the brakes. It simply holds the rotor on the hub when removing the wheels.

Evidently you do not do much of your own tire work.

Reactions: destructure00
Many posts of people removing the bolt to install winter wheels. Relax. It does not affect the performance of the brakes. It simply holds the rotor on the hub when removing the wheels.

Evidently you do not do much of your own tire work.

Not on the Model 3, at least not yet. I've only had it for about 3 months. Previous cars I haven't had any retaining screws/bolts that have interfere with fitment... though I've also never had issues with the brake rotor moving at all when remove wheels...

As others have said, just ensure they are familiar with the lifting points and the whole "dont puncture the battery or i will literally kill you" concept. You don't really need the lifting pucks (Tesla themselves don't use them) as long as you use a flat lifting surface and don't smash the side trim.

Many lifts have flat pads that work fine and i've also seen small blocks of wood be used as well.

Not on the Model 3, at least not yet. I've only had it for about 3 months. Previous cars I haven't had any retaining screws/bolts that have interfere with fitment... though I've also never had issues with the brake rotor moving at all when remove wheels...

It's there to hold the rotor in place during vehicle assembly. Once the calipers are installed the rotor will not go anywhere. Many vehicles have this, and it's fine to remove.

Reactions: destructure00

It's not there for removing wheels, it's there to hold the rotor on the hub during assembly before the calipers are installed. Once the calipers are in place the rotor can't be removed even without the locator bolt.

You should bring four hockey pucks with double sided tape, to stick in the jack points. They fit perfectly.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone!

I am bringing my Tesla model 3 to my local Acura dealership to take off my summer wheels and tires and put on my winter tires and wheels. They have about 8 hoist lifts for the vehicles that they work on so I assume they will use a big hoist lift to change the wheels and tires??? Do you suggest that I bring in 4 pucks if they are using a hoist lift to change my wheels?

I have printed off page 169 from the model 3 manual and plan to show that to the Acura technician working on my car ....hopefully that helps also preventing improper jacking of my model 3. All the Acura guys that have worked on my cars over the past 5 years seemed pretty knowledgeable so hopefully there are no problems. I have used a local tire shop in the past for tire swaps but most of those guys just seemed like teenagers hired for the busy winter season.

There is a bolt that holds the rotor in place. If the new wheels do not have a recess for the bolt, the bolt can be removed as the lug nuts will hold the rotor in place.

I just installed my own winters with non-Tesla rims this weekend. I saw the bolt AFTER I finished tightening everything. The rims don't have a slot for the bolt but the car is driving well. Not sure if I should go and remove all the tires and remove the bolt? It is making me very nervous!! I see the factory wheels have a slot for the bolt.

I just installed my own winters with non-Tesla rims this weekend. I saw the bolt AFTER I finished tightening everything. The rims don't have a slot for the bolt but the car is driving well. Not sure if I should go and remove all the tires and remove the bolt? It is making me very nervous!! I see the factory wheels have a slot for the bolt.

Most have reported on here they removed the bolts for rims without the slots. Your wheels are not pulling up snugly to the rotor where the bolt is. If it were mine I would take the wheels off and remove the bolt.