Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing that giant Model X windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if it has to do with where we live, or that fact that we drive lots of highway miles, but we have terrible luck with rocks kicking up and cracking our windshields. I'm pretty sure all four of our current cars have needed a windshield replaced at least once.

With our Model X on the way, I'm wondering a) if companies like Safelite will stock those giant windshields, or if Tesla would have to replace it, and b) how much that giant windshield will cost.

I suspect that for now it will be a partnership thing with Safelite or some other window repair company. Tesla will order the part and coordinate with the provider to get it at the service center and replace on site. Remember that the Autopilot hardware must be recalibrated when the windshield of an S is replaced, so I suspect the X will have a similar process where the SvC will need to work on the car after such a replacement. Because of this, it is likely to be a "at Tesla Service Center" kind of repair for the time being.

In addition to the recalibration of the camera, given the weight of the Model X windshields (>250 lbs. as I understand it) Tesla must use windshield lifts to place the glass. This limits some of the mobile services.

In addition to the recalibration of the camera, given the weight of the Model X windshields (>250 lbs. as I understand it) Tesla must use windshield lifts to place the glass. This limits some of the mobile services.

Having helped install windshield glass in commercial trucks, I wondered about this. Checking Google (where else?) I found that "the average weight of a single windshield is 35 lbs." I can't imagine that the Model X windshield is much more that double this.

The push now is for ever thinner front windows, down now to about 4.5 mm. Windshields have plastic centers and use tempered glass which breaks into granules instead of shards. There is also much being made about Gorilla Glass, mainly for weight savings at thinner thicknesses (is that an oxymoron there?).

I'd be interested to know the actual weight of a Model X windshield.

Looking further, windshield glass weighs about 2.45 lb per sq ft. Model X has 31 sq ft of glass windshield. That's about 76 lb. This from a windshield installer's PDF.

Last edited:
Hmmm. I'm thinking back to the conversation... you're probably right. I recalled > 250 lbs. from one conversation but now I'm wondering if that was something else we were talking about. I'm willing to bet it's 80 lbs... let's forget I said 250 lbs... :)

A bit off topic but it relates to replacement windshields. After owning a car for 10 years I finally had to replace the windshield because of a rock hit. The windshield had also pitted a fair amount over that time so it was good to get a new one. Used Safelight and the process and cost were reasonable.

Less than 6 months went by and the new windshield cracked too. Really by a small rock I did not even notice. The crack appeared later. Upon close inspection you could see the bit of rock near the crack but it was tiny so no claim to SL. After three years the 2nd windshield is pretty pitted. About where the original one was after 10 years. Never drove in sandstorms or none normal conditions. I had another windshield replaced in another vehicle with similar results.

It just seems to me that Safelight (all replacement windshields) just don't seem to hold up based on this limited sampling. Do others have the same experience? Is it possible that the replacement windshields are not as strong as originals?

I've found that over time, all windshields get some sort of damage done to them. One factor I've experienced is the slope of the windshield (more upright windshields tend to withstand the smaller rocks better).

I can't say that I've really experienced glass quality issues with replacement windshields vs. OEM, but I don't have broad experience either... I've had only 3 windshields replaced in 20 years.

Can you have a thick clear bra type product put on the windshield?

Many (if not most) states have laws that prohibit adding a film to a windshield, even a transparent film, for varying reasons. One is that the film could distort the image that you see through the glass; another is safety for other drivers (in case your film has a different reflection characteristic); another is to prevent people from trying to use things like those bus decals that have advertising on them.

Occasionally you'll see someone put an emblem up on the top 4" of a traditional windshield or so, like "CHEVROLET" or whatever... personally, I don't see the point, but in some states that is legal because of a law that permits a small strip at the top of the windshield to be tinted.

I doubt if any mobile or local glass repair companies will touch a Model X with a 10 foot pole. It will be a Tesla service station visit. And it will be expensive. Personally I'd rather have a regular windshield given the likely lifetime cost involved with the current one. Designers need to focus more on cost of ownership and less on showroom wow. But that's just me.

Last edited:
The windshield on the X is one of the most compelling things about it for me. I've never understood the mentality of not wanting new features because they might break.

I go through quite alot of windshields driving through Philly every day and haven't noticed any difference between replacement windshields and the Orignal one. I have had a pair of bad experiences with safelite though, and so I don't use them anymore. The company I use (Glassmax) always claims the replacements are the same as OEM just without the logo. I don't know if that's true or not, but I've never noticed any differences and they seem to last just as well (or not) as the OEM ones.

I doubt you'll be seeing mobile installs of the X windshield, Its always been one guy that has come out and done it for me and thats way to heavy for one guy to handle. Still it shouldn't be a problem for them to do it in the shop unless there is some difference with how it is attached which is doubtful.

It may take longer to get in, but that will probably be more due to the low volume of the X rather than anything else.

I doubt if any mobile or local glass repair companies will touch a Model X with a 10 foot pole. It will be a Tesla service station visit. And it will be expensive. Personally I'd rather have a regular windshield given the likely lifetime cost involved with the current one. Designers need to focus more on cost of ownership and less on showroom wow. But that's just me.

Few people choose the car they buy based on repair costs. Price, performance, styling and comfort are higher priorities.

One factor I've experienced is the slope of the windshield (more upright windshields tend to withstand the smaller rocks better).

I may be misunderstanding, but my experience with Jeeps (Wrangler-style 90 degree upright glass) is that those windshields break very, very often. I would think a more horizontal/aero windshield would be less likely to break. The force is usually near parallel with the roadway, so anything perpendicular to the roadway (Jeep) would get 100% of the force, where the more sloped ones would get only the horizontal component of the force (assuming the windshield isn't infinitely frictional).

It's possible, rereading it, that you are saying that they're less likely to break but more likely to damage - meaning scratch. I could see that.

I just reapplied Aqua-pel to my MS windshield today, so I had a very good look at it. Two very minor chips dead center, but otherwise in pretty good shape. 30k miles.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
Not sure if it has to do with where we live, or that fact that we drive lots of highway miles, but we have terrible luck with rocks kicking up and cracking our windshields. I'm pretty sure all four of our current cars have needed a windshield replaced at least once.

With our Model X on the way, I'm wondering a) if companies like Safelite will stock those giant windshields, or if Tesla would have to replace it, and b) how much that giant windshield will cost.
I work at Safelite and I have hear that one market in the country attempted a model x with four technicians. The glass stress cracked while setting the windshield because the crazy weight and shape of it. So from now on Safelite knows we definitely cannot replace those windshields and it needs to be done by the Tesla machine.

• Informative
Reactions: McManX
Because it's an additional cost. Just see the increased repair cost as an option you pay for. A lot of people don't get certain options, because they don't care that much about the feature.
Well if you do get a model x and are worried about windshield cost just make sure you have a low comprehensive deductible or full glass coverage. Then when it breaks you can just giggle and say aww shucks.

Safelite is smart. I wouldn't touch it either. But will every Tesla SC have a rig to install them? Yikes.
I wouldn't assume that everywhere has them... That being said I'm sure they are working on implementing it nationwide. I would hope they did it before all the model x releases but you never know with big companies, sometimes they like to jump the gun on a new product and not necessarily be prepared for what will go wrong. But who knows.