Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing that giant Model X windshield

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you have a thick clear bra type product put on the windshield?

There's an external windshield film but the trick will be finding someone who can manage the application. Check with Extreme Autowerks in Cerritos CA - ask for Derek - and see how far they have gotten in their testing. If they're done, I'd recommend them.

Film aside, Optimum (of ONR fame) makes a couple of glass products - one looks like a nano-coating of some sort, similar to the 5-micron protection one gets with Opti-Coat Pro. No worries about over-active revenue generation masquerading as law enforcement with regard to the Optimum product as it is a coating and not a film.

Reactions: Yvan@OptiCoat
Tesla responded that while a 3rd party like Safelite can replace the glass, the car would need to be brought into a Tesla Service Center to have the optical sensor on the windside calibrated.

So, I fwded the statement from Tesla to my insurance rep and wanting to confirm cost to me if this is required. They normally just use Safelite and no one else.

Liberty Mutual (my insurance company) informed me that they would cover the Tesla Service Center cost under the single deductible and that the car needs to be "certified" by Tesla as fully operational (optical camera I'm referring to). So, that's good news.

Liberty Mutual (my insurance company) informed me that they would cover the Tesla Service Center cost under the single deductible and that the car needs to be "certified" by Tesla as fully operational (optical camera I'm referring to). So, that's good news.
You're in NY. Some insurance companies in that state supposedly offer zero-deductible glass insurance. Might be worth asking around.

I'm looking at protection for our MX windshield.
ClearPlex is one option.
Does anyone have any experience with the Bray windshield skin system?
I don't suppose the coatings offer any rock chip protection
Also somebody suggested that the window tint companies are better than the wrap companies for installing these products

Not sure if it has to do with where we live, or that fact that we drive lots of highway miles, but we have terrible luck with rocks kicking up and cracking our windshields. I'm pretty sure all four of our current cars have needed a windshield replaced at least once.

With our Model X on the way, I'm wondering a) if companies like Safelite will stock those giant windshields, or if Tesla would have to replace it, and b) how much that giant windshield will cost.

Check into windshield coatings. A Glass Coating actually lowers the likelihood of a rock chip on your windshield. This is due to greater slip/ higher coefficient of slip. Not a 100 percent cure, but definitely reduces the risk. Another great thing is these coatings are superhydrophobic, which nearly eliminates the need for your wipers!

Reactions: Yvan@OptiCoat