Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing the 12V aux Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Or corrosion concerns.
giphy.gif

Just replaced mine today with the AGM from Gruber.

Fairly simple - thanks for the pics!

It would have been simple for me, but as I have said before in a thread, someone along the line instead of removing both fasteners at the retaining bar had the great wisdom of only doing the outside one, so when I removed the outside one the bar fell to the ground :mad:, because the bar had finally broke from being bent back and forth. Also I found the Gruber battery thicker than the one I removed so besides making a new bracket :mad: I had to create a new mounting hole in the inner fender well :mad:.

Just replaced mine today with the AGM from Gruber.

Fairly simple - thanks for the pics!

I did mine today to; took out the battery bracket, sanded and painted to further prevent any corrosion

It would have been simple for me, but as I have said before in a thread, someone along the line instead of removing both fasteners at the retaining bar had the great wisdom of only doing the outside one, so when I removed the outside one the bar fell to the ground :mad:, because the bar had finally broke from being bent back and forth. Also I found the Gruber battery thicker than the one I removed so besides making a new bracket :mad: I had to create a new mounting hole in the inner fender well :mad:.

I called Gruber as soon as I received the battery explaining it's bigger the the original; he said flip it on it's side and it's the same height as the old battery.

Once installed my double din alpine head unit powers on with the first key turn without turning on the car; before it only turned on with the final key turn.

So that's a plus!!

IMG_7856.JPG
IMG_7857.JPG

Last edited:

i just used some longer bolts

Were you getting an "Aux 12V battery low" type message in the VDS screen? Or just doing preventative stuff?

no, nothing displayed on the screen; surprised. I just figured the battery was probably never changed in the course of it's life since I never saw it on the service reports.

The HVAC worked when I first got the car but the car was sitting on a trailer for a week - 10 days before arrival so maybe that could of done the trick to the already worn out battery.

Then until now I noticed the lights on the hvac wasn't turning on; and the radio turned on when the car turned on which seems like it didn't have enough draw to turn on the alpine with the first click of key turn.

Now with new battery in the alpine turns on with the first key turn; surprising, I didn't know the battery was that bad of state.

Reactions: drewski
I just got 428 error code, and I'm actually happy! OVMS shows 10.5v at rest so its obviously a cell dropped. If the border was open I would get a $50 replacement from Gruber, but I found y bike supplier has the Shorai battery (the A2 not the B2 because I want to encase it in insulation foam and keep the original orientation). I was hoping to do this with the PEM cleaning but working 6 days a week and the freezing temps means only doing stuff to keep it on the road right now. Going to leave some time to clean the bracket up as it looks like its prudent to do that while i'm in there.

I just got 428 error code, and I'm actually happy! OVMS shows 10.5v at rest so its obviously a cell dropped. If the border was open I would get a $50 replacement from Gruber, but I found y bike supplier has the Shorai battery (the A2 not the B2 because I want to encase it in insulation foam and keep the original orientation). I was hoping to do this with the PEM cleaning but working 6 days a week and the freezing temps means only doing stuff to keep it on the road right now. Going to leave some time to clean the bracket up as it looks like its prudent to do that while i'm in there.

OVMS 12v reading is of the DC-DC converter in the main ESS, not that little 12v battery in the wheel arch on 2.x cars.

• Informative
Reactions: drewski