Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Replacing the 12v on a 2017s

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

viper2ko

Aug 30, 2017
USA
I have a 2017 s with about 75,000 mi on it. My 12 volt battery seems to be doing okay and I haven't gotten any error messages but I afraid it's going to die soon just due to the age and mileage.

Does the car give a warning before it dies?

What would be the battery replacement to buy if i want to DIY and how much does Tesla service charge

There are some cases where people have reported sudden battery failures, but in general, you will get a warning message for the 12V battery needing replacement. Most often people seem ok going 2-4 weeks prior to getting it replaced. I have a mid-2016 MS90D and my memory was between 2-3 weeks when message first popped up for me and service with no issues.

The battery is somewhat special, so takes a little bit more work to make sure you get a suitable replacement. I believe it's currently around $250ish for Tesla to replace for you. There is a LiIon option available from Ohmmu that many people have chosen to do. That's more expensive, around $450 just for the battery, but some feel it will provide a much longer lifespan. I do not know what the cost is if you have them install and ability for them to replace it for you in your area.

Sudden 12V failures are more common on the Model 3, and if you get a warning there, you need to deal with it right away. The ranger who replaced our 3’s battery said the S has a different 12V battery system, and once you get a warning, you probably have a week to deal with it (but don’t wait that long).

Battery is still $165 i dono about labor because i refuse to pay for someone to do something i can do.

Also if you DIY tesla does NOT take the old battery as a core, you'll have to take it to AutoZone, its free just hand them the battery and say it needs to be recycled.

Battery is still $165 i dono about labor because i refuse to pay for someone to do something i can do.

Also if you DIY tesla does NOT take the old battery as a core, you'll have to take it to AutoZone, its free just hand them the battery and say it needs to be recycled.

So I can order just the battery from Tesla? Or is there one I can order online. I dont want or need the lithium ion one

So I can order just the battery from Tesla? Or is there one I can order online. I dont want or need the lithium ion one
Yeah just go to your neareat SC and ask for a parts person saying you want to buy a 12v battery.
They will sell you one and you can take it home and install it yourself.

Also the new 12v for the 2021 is an entirely different beast it's all weird shaped and *sugar*, won't fit in older cars.

In general, everyone that’s replaced it themselves has had no issues afterward. I, too, will always do something on my own if I can, but for $50 for a Ranger to come to my house vs driving to the SC, it was a no brainer for me. He did use Toolbox after the swap, though, hence why I mentioned the first statement. He said it was to reset/let the car know a new battery was installed, but like I said, others have swapped without Toolbox and have been fine. Up to you whether $50 is worth it or not.
You can order one from EV Tuning, but if your SC is in town, much easier to just pick up vs waiting and paying for shipping.

Attachments

• 14A4C96B-A59B-43C8-9D62-66491254DE16.jpeg
    14A4C96B-A59B-43C8-9D62-66491254DE16.jpeg
    305.2 KB · Views: 128